73 hours and 59 minutes at XP+
    328 hours and 39 minutes at MN15 mode.
    111 hours and 21 minutes at XP
    219 hours and 3 minutes at SP
    438 hours and 17 minutes at LP
    657 hours and 18 minutes at EP(6 hours)
    876 hours and 14 minutes at SLP
    1095 hours and 58 minutes at SEP
    1464 hours and 44 minutes at MN1 mode(13 hours and 22 minutes dvd)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Congrats on your successful update!

Before this thread gets buried again, just want to remind anyone interested in these upgrades that the EIDE hard drives required by the earlier 510, 520, and 530 models are getting increasingly scarce, as they have been obsoleted in PCs by SATA drives for quite some time now. In North America, at least, prices are going up and availability is limited on new/unused reasonably-sized 500GB EIDE HDDs. It isn't advisable to go above 500GB on the older models, if you can't find a new drive under 500GB, used drives harvested from old PCs will work if you erase them completely first (no Windows boot blocks or partitions).

There is a separate availability issue with the SATA HDDs used by the later Pioneers in the x40, x50, x60 and LX series. Due to recent disaster flooding in Thailand, most HDD factories have gone offline and production has all but ceased on new HDDs. Factories are being rebuilt in other locations and production should resume in a few months, but short-term the supply of new SATA HDDs is very limited and panic buyers have driven retail prices to obscene levels (200-400% above normal). Unless you have money to burn, it might be a good idea to postpone SATA HDD upgrade projects until next summer.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Before this thread gets buried again, just want to remind anyone interested in these upgrades that the EIDE hard drives required by the earlier 510, 520, and 530 models are getting increasingly scarce, as they have been obsoleted in PCs by SATA drives for quite some time now. In North America, at least, prices are going up and availability is limited on new/unused reasonably-sized 500GB EIDE HDDs. It isn't advisable to go above 500GB on the older models, if you can't find a new drive under 500GB, used drives harvested from old PCs will work if you erase them completely first (no Windows boot blocks or partitions).

There is a separate availability issue with the SATA HDDs used by the later Pioneers in the x40, x50, x60 and LX series. Due to recent disaster flooding in Thailand, most HDD factories have gone offline and production has all but ceased on new HDDs. Factories are being rebuilt in other locations and production should resume in a few months, but short-term the supply of new SATA HDDs is very limited and panic buyers have driven retail prices to obscene levels (200-400% above normal). Unless you have money to burn, it might be a good idea to postpone SATA HDD upgrade projects until next summer.

Speaking about threads that tend to go dormant for awhile, I had been hoping you might still be monitoring this one,

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/304014-Pioneer-DVR-520-and-DVR-560-functionality-di...=1#post2129396

and would weigh in with a reply.

This Thailand situation turned out to be much worse than we thought, early on. (I have vastly greater confidence in the QC of their production lines than for anything coming out of China, and avoid buying HDDs sourced from the latter.) For a short while, a bit before Black Friday, Costco had the Thai-made WD 1TB Passport Essential -- cited here just as an example -- for $80. I bought one, and very shortly thereafter was kicking myself that I did not get the max. 2 per customer. Their stock was all gone in a blink and a half. And now the cheapest price I'm seeing on these is around double what I paid. In fact, some are now selling the 500MB models for double what I paid for that 1TB. This comes at an inauspicious time, as I have to rebuild a couple PCs, and have mostly burned through my supply of SATA spares. Not sure if I'm willing to wait until next summer.

I still have a couple of EIDE spares, but those unopened boxes are going past 3 years now. I recall your saying that "stiction" was largely a myth, and I hope you were right about that. Nevertheless, I probably should take those out and power them up fairly soon, just to make sure those platters will still spin.
    Last edited by Seeker47; 4th Jan 2012 at 20:49.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Could anyone give me some info to get the Pionner disk for hd replacement on a DVR5100H ?
    The reference should be GGV1239 (best) or substitute GGV1256 or GGV1302.
    Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jack
    Quote Quote  
  5. For assistance with GGV discs, send a note to our friend Hakan requesting which disc you need, via supportATpioneerfaqDOTinfo. Before sending the note, make a small PayPal donation to the same email address, which helps with expenses to keep the site www.PioneerFaq.info in operation. This volunteer Dutch Pioneer fan site is the worlds best repository of repair info, manuals, firmware, and service disc assistance. I would not look for a disc download without their advice: most of the disc downloads that show up on Google are obsolete and defective.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have a DVR633HS and the hard drive has died. It seems to me that I can get the exact model hard drive, format using Ubuntu following the instructions, and replace the drive in my DVD Recorder without needing a special remote and other procedures. Can you verify that this process will work? Can you also place a link to the instructions here?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry, slink9, but thats wrong.

All Pioneer DVD/HDD recorders require the service remote and service disc to install a new or replacement HDD. The only confirmed way around this is if you clone your original 633 HDD using a utility like Fedora. Since your HDD is already corrupt, you cannot make a a "healthy" clone, so will have to perform the arduous step-by-step buildup of TVGOS and firmware on a fresh HDD. A new HDD not cloned from the original will trigger the typical Pioneer DRM fault, which can only be cleared with the service remote and disc.

The procedure to recreate TVGOS and Pioneer firmware from scratch on a new HDD is very very difficult and often fails. Here and there some lucky person reports success on their first try, but this is not typical. Pioneer itself had an enormous amount of difficulty replacing the HDDs in these models, which is why they were quickly pulled from the market in favor of the revised 640 model (and why brand new 640s were routinely given to 633 owners in lieu of warranty repairs).

If you want to try, the tutorial can be found here. That website is also the best resource for locating clean downloads of the various Pioneer service discs: your Pioneer 633 needs the "Type 1" disc GGV1256 or GGV1302. If you make a small PayPal donation to the site, they can help if you drop a note to supportATpionerrfaqDOTinfo requesting the specific disc.

The Pioneer service remote is long out of production but the Sony version of it is still available from Sony parts dealers and some remote vendors like this one. A more expensive generic clone can be found here, but the dedicated Sony is easier to operate.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the information. It sounds like this is something that I don't want to spend too much additional money on. I can get the hard drive for $20 but the remote sounds like a bit of an adventure. I will probably post this on Craigslist to see if I can get a buyer who is interested in it for repair. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please help me.
    My drive DVD DVR-107XA died.
    Put in from recorder DVR-220 other drive (DVR-R07XA).
    Then Power On DVR-520 message:
    "Incorrect CPRM Information"
    When I press (service mode) ESC then STEREO my field (ID number) is empty.

Where(How) I will find ID HDD?.

DVD DVR-R07XA play ok (in DVR-520).
    (Record ok)

Then press "Disc Navigation" = message "The Hard Disk Dive info is incorrect".
    Then put next HDD (Seagate) my field ID number is empty too.

(sorry - translate from polish)

----------------------------------
    /
    After time/ - CPMR ID is panel back (paster) DVR-520 .
    I use = its OK.
    Last edited by 1bombel; 10th Aug 2012 at 10:14.
    Quote Quote  
  10. On the DVR-530H series the CPRM number is on the rear of the player. It's under the RF antenna input or just right of the cooling fan. It is printed on a white sticker.

You may want to go to http://www.pioneerfaq.info and see if there is additional information on your DVR-520H.

I hope this information helps you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1bombel, the 107XA you pulled from your DVR-220 should work in your DVR-520, I have done this "transplant" many times. Sometimes the 520 gets confused, because the 107XA from a 220 identifies itself as coming from a non-HDD model. This can temporarily mess up the CPRM numbers for both HDD and DVD.

You need to follow the instructions for replacing HDD in 520, as presented in this link at pioneerfaq. Note that sometimes you must repeat the entire sequence (Esc+Stereo, entering CPRM numbers, and loading ID Data DVD) two or three times before the 520 finally reboots properly without the CPRM Err or HDD Err display.

MCnDaHouse is correct, you can find the small white label with the 9-digit CPRM number on the back panel of your 520, the label is usually near the AC power socket. The label shows a tiny series of letters/numbers at the top edge, like "VXW1005." Below this is a bar code, below the bar code is the 9-digit CPRM code. Write this bottom number down on a piece of paper so that you can enter it in the ESC+STEREO screen.

I have noticed that the older Pioneer models 510 and 520 are behaving strangely when I get them in for repair these last few months. As they age, it seems the circuit board that holds the CPRM info becomes tricky. Until recently, I have never experienced the problem you describe of no numbers appearing onscreen during the ESC+STEREO step, but now I see this probably with 1 out of 2 old Pioneers when I service them. The workaround is to exit the service screen immediately, then try ESC+STEREO again and see if the numbers appear. If they do not, you need to bypass the usual procedure and try to CLEAR the CPRM memory before exiting service mode and trying ESC+STEREO again.

It is difficult for me to explain how to handle this problem, since I don't speak Polish, and it is hard to write even in English. I have been repairing Pioneers for a very long time, so I know how to push the buttons in different ways and change the normal CPRM procedure until I get the machine to operate properly. Describing this in words might confuse you or cause a mistake, so I would recommend you just keep trying the pioneerfaq steps until your 520 accepts the CPRM. The basic process is this:

1. If at any point the recorder complains of an ERR, you'll need to reset the CPRM code. Look on the rear panel for a secondary small white label with a nine-digit code number, its located near the fan or the AC socket. Write down the nine digits.

2. On your service remote, press ESC and then STEREO. Service mode will activate and a service display will appear on your TV. Enter the nine-digit number you wrote down using the service remote number keys, then press STOP.

3. Press ESC and STEREO again, enter the nine digit number again, and press SEARCH.

4. The recorder will ask for the ID Data Disc. Load the service disc and close the tray. After a moment, your TV should display "Rom Write OK!"

5. Press CLEAR on the service remote. The recorder will exit service mode. Remove the service disc BUT DO NOT CLOSE THE TRAY. Turn the recorder off, the tray will close itself. Wait a moment, and turn power back on. Your 520 should work normally with no ERR alerts from this point on.

(If your TV displays Rom Write NG! instead of Rom Write OK! in step 5, don't panic. Sometimes the recorder trips over itself, or you enter the nine digits in the wrong order, and have to start the CPRM process over again. It nearly always "takes" the second time around.)

NOTE TWO IMPORTANT POINTS that aren't clear until you've repaired a few recorders:

During the first two steps, you need to enter the CPRM number *twice.* A lot of people don't realize this and get stuck. You hit ESC+STER, enter the number, press STOP, then ESC+STER a second time, then enter the number a second time, then press SEARCH (instead of STOP).

In step 5, be careful NOT TO CLOSE THE DISC TRAY after removing the service disc. Just take out the disc and turn off the power, the 520 will close the tray by itself. If you close the tray by hand before turning off the power, the entire CPRM process can get corrupted resulting in HDD Err, meaning you have to start the whole thing over.
    Last edited by orsetto; 10th Aug 2012 at 18:10.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank.

Everything there is already ok.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVR-720H-S that has been working perfectly all these years but now the Hard Disk has started to fail. I have managed to locate a new 160GB replacement IDE drive but when I put it in I could not get past the HDD Error. Then I found this thread.
    I think I can load the remote control codes for the service remote into an AllForOne remote I have but I cannot obtain the Service DVD anywhere.
    I think I need a GGV1256. Would someone please confirm that.
    I have emailed support@pioneerfaq.info but have had no reply. Perhaps it's too old to bother about now. Does anyone know of a suitable torrent where I can get the DVD. Any help would be appreciated as it's a pity to throw the unit away just because the HDD is worn out.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Give pioneerfaq another week, and if you don't hear from Hkan by then try emailing one more time. The site is essentially run by one person, and sometimes gets overwhelmed. Also, Pioneer ceased worldwide recorder sales six years ago, so repair interest is waning and Hkan may not be monitoring pioneerfaq (and his VideoHelp membership) as closely as he once did. I think he will contact you eventually.

Yes, you should try to get the 1256 from pioneerfaq, as it is a newer version and disc images referenced at pioneerfaq are verified. The DVR-720 can also use the original 1179 disc, which was widely available via public torrents, but I have never found one that wasn't incomplete or corrupted. I'd recommend you be patient with pioneerfaq and try to get the 1256 thru Hkan. You could also try contacting him via private messaging here on VH (to member name Hkan).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    orsetto, thanks for your help. I now have the disk (hopefully burned correctly) thanks to Hkan. The next step is getting the remote working. I have a couple of options. From reading other forums, one is to download the codes for a GFF1381 into a Harmony Remote. Would you please tell me if the GFF1381 is the remote I should be emulating. I am having trouble finding my old Harmony remote though so I am also going to try and reprogram my OneForAll clone. Only trouble is that I have searched all sorts of forums but can't find anyone who created the control codes in the right format.
    This may not be the place to ask but have you seen any reference to anyone who has done this here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've done it. As it turns out the hard part for me was reprogramming my OneForAll remote. As is probably obvious from my previous post I had the service remote type incorrect. The service remote is actually a GGF1381.
    After I did the usual Google search for the correct type I found the proper device upgrade files on the Hi-Fi Remote web site.
    Then it was just a matter of spending several (many) hours relearning the procedure for upgrading a device. It's been 8 years since I last did it. The other problem I had was that my remote is not a genuine URC remote and many of the keys don't match any of the available devices. But I persisted and apart from the DVD drive initially refusing to read the service DVD it eventually worked and I now have a fully functioning recorder.
    PS. My wife thought I was mad trying to get such an old device working again but I still use it a lot and recycling is better than sending it to the ever growing electronic equipment graveyard.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Congrats on the successful repair, Grassy!

Before this repair thread fades into obscurity again, an update on the service tool situation in 2014: as Grassy discovered, pioneerfaq is still active and the most reliable source for service disc downloads. If you do not receive an immediate reply from pioneerfaq, try sending a PM to Hkan here on VH and that will almost certainly get his attention.

Regarding the service remote, while some like Grassy have been successful at programming their Harmony with downloaded codes, this is generally not a good idea. There are many reports that the Harmony codes which emulate the Pioneer GGF1381 get corrupted when loaded into some Harmony models, resulting in damage to the remote and issues with the Pioneer recorder it is aimed at. "Faking it" with a Harmony should be your last-ditch option, at least in North America. Those in USA/Canada should simply buy the "clone" remote mfrd by Anderic, which is hard-coded with the correct service signals and available for under $30. The Anderic remotes are marketed as "replacements" for either the Sony J-609-0203-A or Pioneer GGF1381: both have the same service codes and buttons, so buy whichever version you find easier or cheaper.

Examples here:

http://www.replacementremotes.com/ANDERIC/Buy-GGF138150-RMC12010-SERVICE-RMC12010-Remo...e-Control.html

http://www.replacementremotes.com/ANDERIC/Buy-J6090203A-RMC12008-SERVICE-RMC12008-Remo...e-Control.html
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks orsetto for the additional information about the remotes but I should point out that my success came by programming a new device into an OneForAll clone not the Harmony remote I originally intended to use.
    The OneForAll remotes have a JP1 connector and there has been a massive following built up over the years concerned with reprogramming via this connector.
    The GGF1381 device download is located at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1367 and plenty of documentation can be found at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/. For anyone just starting out trying to reprogram these remotes there is a steep learning curve mainly because the documentation has not kept up with the rapid advances in the software.
    If you persist however eventually the concept makes sense and the actual reprogramming takes less than a few minutes including downloading and setting up the software.
    I was tempted to post a step by step description of how I did mine but realized that there are literally thousands of different types of these remotes and what I did would not make sense to someone else.
    If this thread does continue I am more than happy to help where I can.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get updated file here: servicefix90.zip[/QUOTE]
    If your DVR nine digit number starts with zero, zero this fix is needed . VitoRemote and Dell X3 poket PC.
    Quote Quote