VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I would like to know the rules about downloading TV shows Off the internet, I see some get warnings others dont.

What is the rule, Can we talk about Downloading TV Shows Off the Internet? Any shows?

Sorry I have to ask, it's just not very clear to me.

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unless it's mentioned that the download is illegal, TV shows are OK to download and burn to DVD.

That's the last word I got on it from Mister Big after mistakenly yellow-carding a member who had downloaded and burned a show to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Unless it's mentioned that the download is illegal,

What do you mean? Who mentions it? See I'm really lost to this...
    Quote Quote  
  4. What about made for TV movies? Same thing?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You are allowed to do anything with recorderd tv material. It is not warezing.

It is only warez if you mention that you downloaded something illlegally
    This was taken from a thread of his titled "Timeshifting tv" in the mod forum.

Further questions about the wording here need to be directed at Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  6. a uk site uknova for UK tv episodes not that there are many uk things even worth watching [teachers, coupling, have i got news for you even i thought id be able to name more than that]

seems to stay out of trouble with

If something is available commercially on VHS or DVD, it cannot be uploaded to this site.

although very few uk productions actually get released on dvd

eg
    have i got news for you on bbc is relevant to that week and is never released on dvd
    plus as we all* have tv licenses we are technically allowed to watch it and downloading is technically no different to recording it with video recorder

teachers and coupling are released on dvd but as the no of people who download them is only in the 100s its not ever going to be much of a problem

wheras fox or other american stations especially hbo are probably starting to be concerned about
    sopranos
    alias
    the oc

as downloads especially of something like 24 are in the millions when you add all web traffic

im suprised that they arent offering the shows for download themselves at somewhere between $1 and $5 per episode for people who are out
    although in america im fairly confident that each episode is repeated multiple times throughout the week

whilst hbo may become concerned and maybe send a letter or sue the initial capper i seriously doubt they would go the same route as riaa or mpaa who in my opinion just make things worse as they are telling people that you can get all these files for free and articles in magazines often tell you exactly where to get the files with guides of exactly what you need to do

it is great if tv show talk about xvid captures which people download is allowed as it will mean that people no longer have to come up with some stupid story about how their only material is in xvid eg home movie captured to xvid dvavi is deleted and initial tape worn out or recorded over to avoid bans

also some nice one step xvid to dvd programs which is as easy as autogk is for the other way around may turn up if they havent already(i havent searched in a while)

edit i guess dvd santa has appeared in my absence may have to give it a go
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  8. hhhhbk,
    hate to pick holes in peoples posts but here goes.
    There are stacks of good shows to come out of the UK, particularly comedy. Perhaps we just dont have the same sense of humour, but coupling is one of my faves, I also thing teachers is very good.
    Most stuff worth going to dvd, does so eventually, so I don't know where "very little goes to dvd comes from".
    Have I got news for you.
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=news+for+you&page=search
    Quote Quote  
  9. perhaps my wording in previous post wasnt that good

coupling
    teachers
    have i got news for you

were the only examples of current good shows that i could come up with which are worth watching

i also loved and have the majority of the following on dvd

red dwarf
    only fools and horses
    other chris barrie shows like brittas empire and a prince among men
    men behaving badly
    the office
    fawlty towers
    black adder

but sadly all are finished and no new episodes are going to be made

my point was that unlike in the us where there is a constant long list of current good shows which would actually be worth getting on dvd
    in britain the only 2 current shows(still in production) i can think of which are worth buying are coupling and teachers

also downloads of the UK shows are very limited only a couple of hundred people its individuals ripping them often in very questionable quality

whereas in the USA they are ripped at dvdrip quality(HQ xvid) by groups always at the same high level and reach millions of people via download
    which is likely to hurt dvdsales

the have i got news for you DVD is a clip show
    3 hours footage from 24 seasons not really the same as good series where every episode is released
    im suprised they dont do more dvd specials like the official pirate video which was so funny
    Quote Quote  
  10. i know you can buy all these shows on dvd and already have most of them
    and along with
    red dwarf
    the office
    fawlty towers
    black adder

i agree they are all great shows

but the only shows which are any good and are likely to yield any new episodes are teachers and coupling
    although more seasons of coupling arent a guarauntee

so in britain currently averaging only 1 new boxset dvd per year which is worth buying
    by new i mean a series aired in the last year not old release onto dvd of OFAH or Red Dwarf im talking about fresh material

USA just have way more shows which are good than here in the uk and we are thankful when we eventually get the dregs of old simpson episodes and the like which were screened in the USA 5+ years ago

wheras from america there are about 10
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is not really what this thread was about, but I too totally disagree that there are only two current British TV programs worth watching / buying on DVD / possibly downloading if we're allowed to :P

How about:

Little Britain
    Monkey Dust
    The Mighty Boosh
    2DTV
    Bodies
    Bo Selecta!
    Two Pints of Lager...
    Green Wing

just for a start?

Although it's a bit of a generalisation, I prefer most of those to the glitzy US shows. from HBO and the likes.

cheers,
    theDruid.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Interesting... According to DSLReports.com, people ARE getting DMCA notices for downloading television shows, at least here in the USA.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12376327?hilite=battlestar+galactica

I'll admit I didn't click through to any of the links on this thread. I do agree that if I get the show and I record it, it's OK to timeshift, but I wouldn't think of downloading it off the internet because I missed it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    I would like to know the rules about downloading TV shows Off the internet, I see some get warnings others dont.
    All tv downloads get warned. Period.
    Timeshifting is not the same.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    thought that was the case unless somone had changed the rules while i was on holiday(carribbean not a ban from the site )

Little Britain
    Monkey Dust
    The Mighty Boosh
    2DTV
    Bodies
    Bo Selecta!
    Two Pints of Lager...
    Green Wing

plus all the soap operas plus allthe daytime rubbish and chat shows are exactly what i cant stand on british terrestrial tv

i can proudly say that in the last 3+ years i have averaged under 1 hour of tv per week
    living with parents at present and rest of the family do watch tv so we do have the tv license
    but when i was living in uni accomodation didnt even bother with the tv
    any sport id watch in the pub and i had to wait for season 3 of teachers and season 4 of coupling to come out on dvd before i saw them
    am currently waiting on season 4 of teachers to come out on dvd as even though i was at home with a tv at the time only ended up catching second 1/2 of 1 of the episodes
    its far nicer on dvd without commercials at a time convenient to me than having to wait around for it to show on ch4

perhaps its just because we have less channels which dont have the same resources as in the USA but we really seem to lack quality original programs and cant afford to purchase the rights to the newer series from the USA

i have to wait til shows like 24 and alias are released onto dvd before i get to see them
    just wish there was a way to get american channels in the uk at a reasonable price (dont know if we can get them at all dont think sky have hbo or fox as optional extras tho)
    Quote Quote  
  15. SFAIK, downloading a show is significantly different from recording, as the element of personal reception is now removed.

Seperate question for UK fans, I notice that many UK shows have a different "look" or "feel" to them, not sure how to describe this. There is a sense that you are looking thru a window rather than watching a film. If I were to say less polished, not referring to production values but that the images are grittier or less shiny, more realistic, maybe? What is it that causes this??

No one mentioned "Dad's Army", there was one episode where they related a story about an "old fakir" that was hilarious.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by hhhhbk
    Little Britain
    Monkey Dust
    The Mighty Boosh
    2DTV
    Bodies
    Bo Selecta!
    Two Pints of Lager...
    Green Wing

plus all the soap operas plus allthe daytime rubbish and chat shows are exactly what i cant stand on british terrestrial tv
    Fair enough - we'll have to agree to disagree about our tastes in TV (I'm not talking about soaps, daytime, chat, reality TV etc.., which I really wouldn't lump in with the quality series like the ones above).

Although how you can like Teachers but not Green Wing is beyond me!

... and how would you know you don't like these programs if you watch so little TV?...

cheers,
    theDruid.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Just because the US is backwards and all screwed up with video/download laws...the rest of the world seems to be doing OK.
    In Canada, if you can receive it legally, you can tape/record it for personal use only. This goes back to the days of early VTR.
    The medium you record it TO, is of no consequence.
    What that means, is if you can get it on radio, tv, satellite, or any other public broadcast method, you can make a copy (of any sort, on any media).
    I can record (VHS or DVDR) a full season of 24 (for example) and lend it to anyone I want.
    The "grey" area is wether I leave the advertising intact, or edit it out, and the courts have still not given a definitive ruling on this.
    Another eg. I cannot rent a DVD, make a copy for personal use, and lend it to anyone I want, however, I can buy a DVD, make a copy, and lend it, providing I take no compensation for it. I can sell the disk to my friend for cost of the media (50¢ or so), plus the cost of my labor to produce the disk, but cannot charge anything for it's content.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I notice that many UK shows have a different "look" or "feel" to them, not sure how to describe this
    I know what you mean; I always assumed this was something to do with the difference between NTSC and PAL. The colours usually look very different, as well as the other things you've described.

Sorry - this has nothing to do with the OP at all!

cheers,
    theDruid.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    I would like to know the rules about downloading TV shows Off the internet, I see some get warnings others dont.
    Capmaster
    Said in his first Post in this thread Downloading is ok? This is not very clear.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by reboot
    I can buy a DVD, make a copy, and lend it, providing I take no compensation for it. I can sell the disk to my friend for cost of the media (50¢ or so), plus the cost of my labor to produce the disk, but cannot charge anything for it's content.
    What Canada do you Live in. This is BS if you ask me.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Check your local library. They lend all sorts of copyrighted material, and only charge for membership (sometimes) or late fees.
    Completely legal.
    The Supreme Court recently ruled this.
    The general idea being the original copyright owner will get his money for the content. All I'm doing is providing free advertising.
    In other news:
    In Canada, meanwhile, the copyright office issued a determination that downloading copyrighted works over a peer-to-peer network is legal under that country's laws, although uploading files is not.
    More fodder: http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/lawpoli/cases/2004030401.php
    And more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_dealing#Fair_dealing_in_Canada
    And the final word, "Article 29. Fair dealing for the purpose of research or private study does not infringe copyright."
    If I make a copy of a DVD that I own, it is for private study, and up to me if I lend it to others for the same purpose.
    (Yes, it's a broad definition loophole, but it's still law!)
    The main source: http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/incrp-prda.nsf/en/rp00873e.html
    Excerpt from it: "...allow fair use for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche, for copying for time-shifting purposes and for private use on condition that the rights holders receive fair compensation."
    In BC (and I think every other province/territory) there is a levy imposed on blank media. This levy is the "fair compensation" according to the government.
    Cheers, Jim
    My DVDLab Guides
    Quote Quote  
  22. Give me a Name of a library that buys Books/DVD/VHS/CDs and copys them and "Lends" Them out. I know in canada you can Download But not upload,I thought it was only Music.Even if it is Law , that does not make it right.

Anyway my point to this thread was.
    Can posters Talk about TV show they Download? all the Posts in this thread are still Mixed.
    Quote Quote  
  23. the latest example of a tv show download thread being locked for warez
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253958
    Quote Quote  
  24. No it was for the metion of Movie downloads.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Well he had Movie downloads in there to. I really dont know the reason. he's banned now..
    Quote Quote  
  26. He only wanted to fit more downloaded tv episodes of Lost on a SD card, no mention of any movies. I have an iPaq and know that I could put movies on it, that was not an issue here however.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Yes at the end of the Post he Talked about downloaded Movies.The thread is gone now or i would have Quoted him.
    Quote Quote