VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a pal dvd that i would like to make ntsc. when i went to back it up in dvd shrink, i selected region free. after i burned it with dvd decrypter and played it in my sony dvp ns325 dvd player, i got the same error as i did when i tried to play the original, about it being restricted because of the wrong area...meaning it was pal.

if anyone has got some advice on something i overlooked or something i can try i would love it.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDShrink won't/can't do PAL <> NTSC conversions. Try https://www.videohelp.com/convert#4;41 - it might have some ideas for you to try.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if it cant do it, then why does it give you the option as to what region you want the dvd to be in?

what im trying now is that patch thing in which you manually change it from pal to ntsc using ifo edit, but results for that method seem to be mixed.

those guides dont really apply, sorry, i already looked at them. most are for svcd or vcd, not dvd. does anyone have a hack for the sony dvp ns325 dvd player maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  4. region has nothing to do with pal/ntsc, its meaning is where is the world it can play.
    Some people are only alive because it may be illegal to kill them
    Quote Quote  
  5. Edit:What he said...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    Edit:What he said...
    yeah i know, but for arguments sake it is the same thing, ie region 1 is ntsc, which is what i need, pal is region 2, which is what this dvd is
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bosco-12
    yeah i know, but for arguments sake it is the same thing, ie region 1 is ntsc, which is what i need, pal is region 2, which is what this dvd is
    You can lead a horse to water ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    You can lead a horse to water ...
    uh not really helping me
    Quote Quote  
  9. and he'll probably drown....

the region code is made in the ifo file i believe. whereas the difference between pal ntsc, is frame rate, frame size, colour space (i thinki). Those things have to be changed completely.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I posted at the SAME time as him and said the same thing........Thats why I said EDIT.
    Quote Quote  
  11. glossary

Region Coding
    Region coding is how Hollywood studios stagger DVD movie releases across the planet. These codes ensure that one country doesn't get a DVD movie before the same movie is out in that country's theatres. In their corporate omniscience, movie studios have carved the planet into regions with each region having a specific code.

All DVD players and discs have region codes. A DVD player and disc must be of the same region or the disc will not play.

If you want to watch movies from other countries, you need a multiregion DVD player. This will allow you to play any disc from any region. However, because TV standards differ, you might need a specialized NTSC/SECAM/PAL TV or a DVD player that can output any signal to the standard your TV accepts. TechTV
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsyed
    and he'll probably drown....

the region code is made in the ifo file i believe. whereas the difference between pal ntsc, is frame rate, frame size, colour space (i thinki). Those things have to be changed completely.
    ok, but is there a way for me to get it to work without doing a pal-ntsc conversion that will result in a loss of quality? i just want to change the region i guess is what im saying
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Buddy, you're not really helping yourself, either If you'd done a forum search you'd see that this is one of the most difficult video tasks you can do, and IMO you're better off looking at a multisystem DVD player and TV or buying the correct format DVD than trying to do the conversion yourself.

DVDShrink can't do PAL <> NTSC conversions. There are only two ways (AFAIK) to do this sucker - the patch method, or re-encode. Those guides I linked you to can help you with either method. Region is different to format - related yes, but different.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. PAL
    Short for Phase Alternating Line, the dominant television standard in Europe. The United States uses a different standard, NTSC. PAL delivers 625 lines at 50 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. The resolution of a PAL VCD is 352x288 pixels, a PAL SVCD is 480x576, and a PAL full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 576.

-------------------------------------------------------------NTSC
    Abbreviation of National Television Standards Committee. The NTSC is responsible for setting television and video standards in the United States (in Europe and other parts of the world, the dominant television standards are PAL and SECAM). The NTSC standard for television defines a composite video signal with a refresh rate of 60 fields (half-frames interlaced) per second. Each frame contains 525 lines and can contain 16 million different colors. The resolution of an NTSC VCD is 352x240 pixels, an NTSC SVCD is 480x480, and an NTSC full D1 DVD is 704 or 720 x 480.
    Quote Quote  
  15. okay here is the deal.

by changing the region, which is so simple thing anyway, it will mean it can play on any dvd player now that supports pal or ntsc.

If you dvd player doesn't support pal nicely, then you have to convert. This is not a simple job, and even for experience, it does involve a recode (frame resize, changing frame rate to film 23.976 fps, adding 3:2 pulldown to make it 29.97 fps, and changing audio length to match the new video length). This all takes longer than real time.

suggest you take a look at the thousands of posts of pal<>ntsc conversion.

If you dvd/tv support either system, then don't bother, as your dvd will play just fine, you won't lose quality/time, you will just need to adjust setings on your tv.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Buddy, you're not really helping yourself, either If you'd done a forum search you'd see that this is one of the most difficult video tasks you can do, and IMO you're better off looking at a multisystem DVD player and TV or buying the correct format DVD than trying to do the conversion yourself.

DVDShrink can't do PAL <> NTSC conversions. There are only two ways (AFAIK) to do this sucker - the patch method, or re-encode. Those guides I linked you to can help you with either method. Region is different to format - related yes, but different.
    ok...not too sure how to explain what i am thinking just by typing, sorry for that.

ok, so i want to change the region, not wanting to do all that converting crap, ive done that before with svcds and what not and its not worth the hassle.

the only way to change the region is to do the patch?
    Quote Quote  
  17. What you did with dvd shrink has made it Region free already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dude, I think you're confusing yourself with the lingo here. The REGION is not PAL or NTSC. PAL or NTSC is the FORMAT (see What is DVD, top left). You can make a region 1 PAL DVD if you want to, that will be playable on all multisystem region 1 DVD players. They are two separate things
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    edit:

when i go to burn it now after the image was made it doesnt even burn it wtf
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit:

when i go to burn it now after the image was made it doesnt even burn it wtf
    Well, that's pretty self-explanatory.

Good luck.

<unwatch>
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. um did you actually remove the region coding? i think not thats why you getting the same error.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    um did you actually remove the region coding? i think not thats why you getting the same error.
    how do you mean? like at which step?

heres everything i did maybe that will help...

opened up dvd in dvdshrink 3.2, but got an error saying the dvd has an invalid navigation structure.

opened it again in an older version, and it worked fine.

clicked on backup, and made it region free. did its encoding thing for 20 mins. had to make an img tool, burned with dvd decrypter. played in dvd player, but did not work, saying it was the wrong area or something.

next, i opened up the ifo file in ifoedit and changed everything to ntsc from pal. had to make a new image file.

opened up new image file in dvd decrypter but got an error saying it has too many sectors and cannot be burned.

maybe i should have put this in at the beginning...for that i am sorry.

now if there are some ideas, i would love to hear them
    Quote Quote  
  23. aha.

what is the source files? is it from a dvd itself, or from a dvd ripped by dvd decryptor to the hdd?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    aha.

what is the source files? is it from a dvd itself, or from a dvd ripped by dvd decryptor to the hdd?
    the source is a copy of a dvd that i purchased off of ebay. not anything copyrighted, it is a live concert dvd. i am in canada and purchased it from england.
    Quote Quote  
  25. not asking about that, i'm asking if you are opening it straight from the dvd or from the hdd?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry

when in dvd shrink i am opening it from the dvd itself, in the cd-rom drive. is this what you mean?
    Quote Quote  
  27. right. I suggest, you rip it to your hdd with dvd decryptor, because there are probably macrovi sion protection schemes in place, and this will remove them.. This protection scheme is probably what is messing your sectors up.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    right. I suggest, you rip it to your hdd with dvd decryptor, because there are probably macrovi sion protection schemes in place, and this will remove them.. This protection scheme is probably what is messing your sectors up.
    ok so then i will end up with an image file.

what would i do next?
    Quote Quote  
  29. rip it to your hdd as an image file using dvd decryptor. it your settings are correct, as its ripping, its removing all protection such as macrovision, rce and region coding. When the image is complete, you can burn that one to a test rw, and see if it works. Don't do anything with ifoedit yet.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    rip it to your hdd as an image file using dvd decryptor. it your settings are correct, as its ripping, its removing all protection such as macrovision, rce and region coding. When the image is complete, you can burn that one to a test rw, and see if it works. Don't do anything with ifoedit yet.

alright hopefully this will work then ill let you know in a few mins. unfortunatly, i dont have any rw's so im going to have a few coasters.

one question: from what i had done before in dvd shrink, wasn't the region coding already removed? that one guy said that even with the region removed, it may still be in pal, and therefore it may still not work. thus, removing the region in dvd decrypter would be doing the same as i already did.

if you dont think so, i will continue and give it a shot.

sorry if thats confusing
    Quote Quote