VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. What you need to do is Take the Mpg2 from the pal DVD and make it into a Mpg2 NTSC. forget DVD for know. Just think Mpeg2 that is what is needed to burn a DVD.

You realy have alot of reading to do.
    Quote Quote  
  2. okay. i will patienty help you thru this.

first you need to rip the elementary files with dvd decryptor. This will give you an mpv/m2v file (which is your video) and an audio file, could be mp2, ac3 or pcm (lpcm), or dts or anything. Once you have these assets, you have a few methods.

load them into sony vegas (you'll have a problem with mpeg2 loading in, so run dvd2avi over it, which will give you a d2v file, then run it through vfapi converter, which gives me an avi file, which vegas happily accepts, but you will have to set the correct properties within vegas for it (in regards to frame size, aspect ratio and frame rate).

in vegas, make sure your project is in ntsc format.

load your video and audio assets into the timeline, select the whole region and render out to mpeg2. That's a licensed option, but if you have tmpgenc plus, then you can get the debugmode frameserver that will allow you to frameserve your timeline to tmpgenc.

This is the smoothest frame rate conversion i see.

going from 25 to 29.97 fps is risky and tricky business.

you can, do it another way, and its very tricky. it involves, as i said earlier, slowing the video down slightly, by changing the frame rate to 23.976 fps, i'd do that in virtual dub mod. then frame serve that to tmpgenc, setting the 3:2 pulldown in tmpgenc settings. You do the resize to 720 x 480 in virtual dub, as the resizing algorithms are better in that than in tmpgenc.

The audio will now need to be stretched also, by the ratio 25/23.976 which is approximately 4% stretching.

a sidenote, is that this second way is the way it is professionally done from progressive film. Film is at 23.976fps, and in film land, nothing is ntsc or pal.

23.976 is played back in dvd's at 29.97fps by the 3:2 pulldown, for ntsc dvds.

23.976 is sped up in pal dvds to 25fps.

This is why, you see that the pal versions of dvd's are slighly shorter than their ntsc counterparts. In my opinion, pal is better quality, because there is more vertical size. So the decrease in duration and increase in vertical size balances out the bitrate use.
    Some people are only alive because it may be illegal to kill them
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bosco-12
    ya i looked there, but all are vcd or svcd or ntsc-pal not the other way around

this vegas program will do it? $500 for full version, hopefully the trial will do it
    Youd be better off buy a dvd player that does both PAL and NTSC, if you decide to get that software. $500 is
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and how do i go about doing this?
    Quote Quote  
  5. @alsyed

You realy should Post a Guide with this Vegas method it realy is worth it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. use dvd decryptor. Select ifo mode. then click on stream processing, and select the video steam, and main audio file. For each asset, select in the radio button, "demux"

click on go, and you will see after its ripped,the elementary streams. Once you have done this, come back here and i'll help you thru the next step.
    Quote Quote  
  7. yes i could post a guide, hehehe, but i don't know how to do the image posting heheh

i need to learn to do that

topic post: how to post screenshots here?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Edit: Read the post to fast.Posting read below.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Post very easy just select your image , and put the image name between the image tags.
    Quote Quote  
  10. hahahaha!!!!!

cracking me up now!!

i'm aware of how to make screenshots, but not so aware of posting them here as a guide. i'll learn right now, probably end up posting it as a guide within the next week. Though, i'd be sure that someone else has already done it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I never saw one with Vegas.
    Quote Quote  
  12. okay, i'm reading up the guide on how to post guides. I'll be sure to make one up on pal<>ntsc conversion using vegas 5, within the next week.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hopefully you can still help me out for now...i am almost done with the first step, so you may as well let me know what is next. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  14. you'll need these tools for your next step.

"free"
    dvd2avi
    VFAPIConven

sony vegas 5
    debugmode frameserver

all these tools are available from this site, do a search in the tools section.

actually to be honest, using the vegas method, you will have been better off to just to have the dvd copied straight to the hard drive, all in vob files still.

you can load up the vob files into dvd2avi, and under audio menu, make sure the audio is set to decode to wav files.

now go save project. this will save out a d2v file, and a wav file.

Load this d2v file into VFAPIConvEn and press convert. This will write out a smallish avi file.

Now you have this avi file, and wav files that you can load up into vegas.

this should take a while, so post back when you have done that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. vfapiconven is the name i have on my program, but you need to search for VFAPI reader.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsyed
    you'll need these tools for your next step.

"free"
    dvd2avi
    VFAPIConven

sony vegas 5
    debugmode frameserver

all these tools are available from this site, do a search in the tools section.

actually to be honest, using the vegas method, you will have been better off to just to have the dvd copied straight to the hard drive, all in vob files still.

you can load up the vob files into dvd2avi, and under audio menu, make sure the audio is set to decode to wav files.

now go save project. this will save out a d2v file, and a wav file.

Load this d2v file into VFAPIConvEn and press convert. This will write out a smallish avi file.

Now you have this avi file, and wav files that you can load up into vegas.

this should take a while, so post back when you have done that.
    sorry for the questions again...but how do i get the vob files? does this mean that i dont need the files i got from the first step using dvd decrypter? [the elementary files as you called them]

in that post you had said i would end up with either an mpv or m2v file, but alls i have are mpeg2 files. same thing?

thanks again for the help, hopefully im not being too confusing with this.
    Quote Quote  
  17. What you want is 2 files 1 Audio and 1 Video.

"first you need to rip the elementary files with dvd decryptor. This will give you an mpv/m2v file (which is your video) and an audio file.""
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    What you want is 2 files 1 Audio and 1 Video.

"first you need to rip the elementary files with dvd decryptor. This will give you an mpv/m2v file (which is your video) and an audio file.""
    well, then i already did something wrong because i have 3 video files and 1 audio
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds as though it's getting far more complicated than it needs to be. Your DVD player wouldn't play the original DVD because it was the wrong region code (it's a region 2 DVD and you have a region 1 player). You used DVDShrink to make it Region Free and got the same error. This suggests that your DVD player can ONLY play Region 1 disks. Not Region 2, not Region free but only Region 1.

Use Shrink but this time make it Region 1 and not Region free.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    This sounds as though it's getting far more complicated than it needs to be. Your DVD player wouldn't play the original DVD because it was the wrong region code (it's a region 2 DVD and you have a region 1 player). You used DVDShrink to make it Region Free and got the same error. This suggests that your DVD player can ONLY play Region 1 disks. Not Region 2, not Region free but only Region 1.

Use Shrink but this time make it Region 1 and not Region free.
    Or it won't do pal to ntsc conversion
    Quote Quote  
  21. There is no Region on the DVD it is PAL thats it.

Please read the whole thread. He can not play Pal DVD, You are making it more complicated for him, By talking about what we have already went through.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Did you try this guide?
    www.videohelp.com/guides.php?link=613
    Just rip with DVDDecrypter in file mode then use IFOEdit.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its not possible what he is saying? both times i redid it, it was region free.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but to my way of thinking it may work.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK
    Did you try this guide?
    www.videohelp.com/guides.php?link=613
    Just rip with DVDDecrypter in file mode then use IFOEdit.
    yes i tried that, but i could not burn it because the file[s] wound up being twice their original size for some reason
    Quote Quote  
  25. Sony Won't play PAL format DVDs no matter what region they are.

You'll always get that error message with PAL Disks. Sony NTSC DVD players only support region 1 DVDs that are also NTSC. The DVD Must meet both criteria, NTSC and Region 1 for a Sony to play it.

I just re-authored a PAL DVD from England to NTSC so it'll play on my Sony...
    1st step rip to HDD with DVDDecrypter
    2nd step Use TMPGenc Xpress3 to convert the PAL format with Ac3 audio to NTSC format with AC3 audio (using the AC3 plug-in).
    3rd step Author with, in this case, TMPGenc DVD Author w/AC3 plug-in to check audio sync, OK
    4th step Burn with Nero
    5th Step play and enjoy in my Sony DVD player(s)

or 1 step process, put into my Cheapo Apex patched to RegionFree and play PAL dvd to NTSC TV.

or Rip to HDD, Regionfree DVD and shrink, Burn and play in regionfree other Apex that isn't a regionfree player.

Or what the others said, region has no effect on format.

If youy do something like the first method, then don't shrink before converting to NTSC.

TMPGenc Xpress did a great job, Took 9 hours to convert on a 3Ghz P4 with more than 1 pass, autosized it to fit on one DVD too.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Sony Won't play PAL format DVDs no matter what region they are.

You'll always get that error message with PAL Disks. Sony NTSC DVD players only support region 1 DVDs that are also NTSC. The DVD Must meet both criteria, NTSC and Region 1 for a Sony to play it.

2nd step Use TMPGenc Xpress3 to convert the PAL format with Ac3 audio to NTSC format with AC3 audio (using the AC3 plug-in).
    3rd step Author with, in this case, TMPGenc DVD Author w/AC3 plug-in to check audio sync, OK
    4th step Burn with Nero

or 1 step process, put into my Cheapo Apex patched to RegionFree and play PAL dvd to NTSC TV.

or Rip to HDD, Regionfree DVD and shrink, Burn and play in regionfree other Apex that isn't a regionfree player.

If youy do something like the first method, then don't shrink before converting to NTSC.

TMPGenc Xpress did a great job, Took 9 hours to convert on a 3Ghz P4 with more than 1 pass, autosized it to fit on one DVD too.

Cheers.

what if the audio is not ac3?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Dose not matter
    Quote Quote  
  28. How many DVDs do you plan to do like this? This is alot of work for 1 DVD..lol
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    How many DVDs do you plan to do like this? This is alot of work for 1 DVD..lol
    lol i know-just one, i will never make the mistake of buying a dvd from england again
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Sony Won't play PAL format DVDs no matter what region they are.

4th step Burn with Nero

Cheers.
    none of those tmpgenc programs are free
    Quote Quote