VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you want FFmpegX install,uninstall and upgrade HOWTO?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,
    Can someone provide detailed instructions
    how do I uninstal completelly ffmpeg from my mac?
    I mean including its tentacles (all packages mplayer, mencoder, real tools,...)
    how do I properly upgrade to new version?
    Quote Quote  
  2. To properly upgrade to a new version, copy the application in the Applications folder and so overwriting the old version, and check http://homepage.mac.com/major4/download.html for installation instructions about the binaries components (if they have been updated).

To uninstall, put the application into the trash can as well as the folder /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this shell script will do the trick... I can try to wrap it into an AppleScript, or just leave it as a shell script.

Code:
    #! /bin/sh

echo "This script removes ffmpegX from your computer."
    rm "/Library/Application Support/ffmpegX"
    rm /Applications/ffmpegX.app
    echo "Done!"
    Quote Quote  
  4. How do you install ffmpegx in an account that doesn't have admin authority? I put in the password and it says "<userid>is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

Why does ffmpegx need admin anyway? I thought the binaries are installed in the current account?

In anycase I'd suggest that ffmpegx support being installed in an account thats not the admin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Binaries are installed in a folder which should only have admin/root permission. Traditionally I believe if you don't have access to an admin account you shouldn't be installing anyways.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with dmelgar... having to install under admin is useless! I don't see why binaries NEED admin. Traditionally I believe if applications don't NEED admin then they should not get it. I mean... why? What for? Am I missing something here? A lot more apps are coming out nowadays in the .pkg format which requires admin authorization. I miss the days where you could just install the app by dragging it. Why is Mac trying to become like Windows everyday? (Just look at what they did to iTunes!) Anywayz... don't wanna go off on a rant now on another topic. :P Having everyone install their own apps in their own accounts keeps my system just a little cleaner (unless its something major that everyone uses). It would be nice if ffmpegx could come with an easier installation option (right now I have to log into an admin account just to install it).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry but I must be missing something .. I have install and been using ffmpegX for a while now on G5, OSX the latest.

Got a couple of issues
    1) It always asks to install the binaries even when the previous run successfully put the binaries in to the Application support directory. Is this an age of the Binaries thing ? The one it is moaning about today is mpeg2enc

$ md5 mpeg2enc
    MD5 (mpeg2enc) = 5f1bf70089cf9dbdfffe635e12d55905
    Is this the latest ?

2) I have a license key I paid for from major <major@ffmpegx.com> but where do you install the key Checked the menus crawled over the web pages -- sorry I can't see where.

Cheers

Gannett
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gannett
    1) It always asks to install the binaries [...]. Is this an age of the Binaries thing?
    Could be an age thing. ffmpegX checks the binaries at launch, and pops up the installer window if the binaries are not what they should be, according to the running version of ffmpegX. Just download from the URL mentioned in the installer window to fix it. The URL is selectable, so you can use 'copy' and 'paste' to transfer the URL to a webbrowser.

The one it is moaning about today is mpeg2enc
    $ md5 mpeg2enc
    MD5 (mpeg2enc) = 5f1bf70089cf9dbdfffe635e12d55905
    Is this the latest?
    The current version of mpeg2enc has a file date of April 16, 2006
    and has a MD5 checksum of 7cad2f12971a2e69535778b56b3f9485.

2) where do you install the key?
    I don't remember actually, but maybe somewhere in the shareware nag screen?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

1) The link is to http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel and I have a G5 .
    I was hoping to avoid the whole build from bits compile process is there a pre-compiled link out there ?

2) not seen any nagware except the lod the binaries thing.

Thanks once again for the help.

Gannett
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) The link is to mpeg2enc.intel and I have a G5 .
    I was hoping to avoid the whole build from bits compile process is there a pre-compiled link out there?
    That is the pre-compiled binary for both PPC and Intel (i.e. a Universal Binary). The .intel part
    is to signify that it is for Intel too. Apparently that was a confusing thing, to name it that way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello all.

I have just upgraded to Leopard. I used FFMPEGX a lot with tiger with virtually no problems.
    With Leopard I cant even install it. After trying to install the extensions it comes up with this message.

I do not have a system password on purpose, so what can I do. I miss FFMPEGX.

thanks all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guirigales
    I do not have a system password on purpose
    This installer requires use of the sudo command. The sudo command requires a non-blank password.
    (The password is only needed for installation, so you may change it back to <empty> afterwards, if you must.)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey. On OS X 10.5.2 when I get the initial screen to locate the mencoder and mplayer binaries, all SEEMS to work ok, however then nothing encodes (finishes in 1 second with no files produced, no errors) and going back to the install binaries dialog reveals that mencoder and mplayer still need to be located. I have entered the correct password and the files are readable to ALL users..

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Running 10.4.11 G4 Powerbook.

ff was asking for binaries each time. I resolved using following steps:
    1. gave admin rights to my user account using Accounts preferences
    2. opened binaries.zip
    3. Unzipped mplayer and mencoder files to main /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX (Not to my account's Library pls remember)
    4. Run ffmpegX and I am not being asked for the binaries again
    5. Removed admin privileges from my user account

hope this helps others too.

Ashish
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ashishn
    Running 10.4.11 G4 Powerbook.

ff was asking for binaries each time. I resolved using following steps:
    1. gave admin rights to my user account using Accounts preferences
    2. opened binaries.zip
    3. Unzipped mplayer and mencoder files to main /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX (Not to my account's Library pls remember)
    4. Run ffmpegX and I am not being asked for the binaries again
    5. Removed admin privileges from my user account

hope this helps others too.

Ashish
    Too bad. I even installed ffmpegx with an admin account. The binaries have been copied to the /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX folder but the app still keeps asking for them. And yes, I have downloaded the binaries from the location that is suggested by the app itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by breggol
    Too bad. [...] the app still keeps asking for them.
    It seems you have found the solution. Issue resolved.
    Quote Quote  
  17. thanks for this, I will download and install it...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there
    I d/l'd ffmeg but when i went to d/l the mpeg2enc file from http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel
    all i get is a page full of text and no zip file. i tired both safari and firefox to no avail i tried using the text but that didn't work either as installer doesn't like it.
    so i am stuck here as i have little knowledge of unix.
    I have 2 of these panasonic cams with weird file formats that the mac doesn't like.
    i am on an older mac as well which doesn't help.
    if any one can suggest anything ill be eternally grateful
    cheers
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ctrl-Click (or Right-click) on the link to the .intel file and choose "Save As..."
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the KEY info with regard to the Control-Click (Alt-Click) instruction is that the Saved file is a .txt file. I kept thinking that the .txt wasn't correct until it was explained that it would be automatically converted in the installation.

knowing this might help others, hopefully.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to install and getting the following message:

##sudo: /private/etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440

I'm working from an Admin account and re-named my hard drive to not include any spaces.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rlrlvx
    ##sudo: /private/etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440
    Try repairing permissions using Disk Utility.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to install all binaries but somehow it doesn't work. I've repaired all permissions on my Intel iMac, I have admin rights, no strange characters in harddisk name or password.
    Installing ffmpegX was no problem, but the binaries are a pain in the ass. I don't get an error message at all and it doesn't copy the files into /user/library/application support/ffmpegx/ The directory isn't created at all.
    Please what can I do?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Problem to download mpeg2enc! If I use the website http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel, there are a lot of Symbols but no download SEE PICTURE. Who can help me - or is this site out of order?

Greetings Holger

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cdl
    and it doesn't copy the files into /user/library/application support/ffmpegx/ The directory isn't created at all.
    You're looking in the wrong place. The binaries are not installed in the user directory, but in the (all users) Library directory located in the root of the boot partition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holger-hh
    I have a Problem to download mpeg2enc! If I use the website http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/MacOS/mpeg2enc.intel, there are a lot of Symbols but no download
    Try Alt-clicking the link to download directly (without the browser trying to load or interpret what is behind the link).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dowmloaded ffmpeg the 1st time...refused tmopen saying image not mounted ,was sent a new link
    Download:

Download ffmpegX 0.0.9y (Jan 26, 2008) for OS X 10.3, OS X 10.4 and OS X 10.5.

If you already installed ffmpegX before, with this new version you are not required to reinstall a new version of the binaries. Just replace the application.
    I

The problem now is that it will not download at all.ges to about 7mb the most and says error.what must I do,it is not the server or connection failing
    nena
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im planning to convert directory with mpeg2 files to dvd using Tools->svcdvd, it want that to register so I register payd 15$, but now, where to put my license number ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quit en re-launch the application. The shareware nag screen, which first comes up, should have a button for entering your name and the code.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What's with the requirement to have no spaces or special characters in the startup volume name?
    That's the lamest requirement I've ever heard. Have you never heard of quotes. 90% of the Macs
    out there have "Macintosh HD" as their startup volume.
    Quote Quote