VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you want FFmpegX install,uninstall and upgrade HOWTO?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the smae issue as holger-hh above regarding downloading the mpeg2enc. When i alt-click I am able to save it and ffmpegx opens up, however each time i go to open the application it gets me to locate the file again. Any ideas??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cmhoyling
    each time i go to open the application it gets me to locate the file again.
    That means ffmpegX can't find it OR whatever got installed didn't pass the verification check. You may try this zipped copy, which has solved it for some users. Unzip before pointing the installer to it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, worked perfectly
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying ffmpegX for the first time and downloaded it with no trouble. I copied it to my Applications file and launched it. I can't make the ffmpegX components self-installer work for me. What location on my hard drive should I select. I tried several folders, but would not download. I selected the ffmpegX application itself and got the following error message:
    Any help would bre appreciated.

Jack

ffmpegx%20error%20message.tiff
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jejennings
    I can't make the ffmpegX components self-installer work for me.
    The application does not download the components. You have to download mplayer, mencoder and mpeg2enc yourself, then point the installer to the downloaded binaries (just like it says on the website).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I need major help. I can't seem to find what "##Security API failed with error -60008." means.

And how do I rectify this?

Thanks tons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bluekid View Post
    "##Security API failed with error -60008."
    This error can occur if the /private/tmp directory is missing or has badly configured permissions, or if the disk is (nearly) full. While you will not normally see this error, it is possible that another application might change the permissions of the /private/tmp directory or delete it entirely. If this happens, ffmpegX will not be able to perform its AppleScript instructions until the /private/tmp directory is repaired or recreated.

To repair the permissions on /private/tmp directory, run "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility. This can be done safely, whether it is needed or not.

To recreate the /private/tmp directory if it is really missing, follow this:
    If your /private/tmp directory is missing (due to misguided advice, the actions of a rogue application or other circumstances), it will need to be recreated. Since [program X] requires the presence of the /private/tmp directory in order to be successfully authenticated for use, you cannot use [program X] to replace the missing directory and you will not be able to use [program X] until it is recreated. Here are complete instructions for recreating the /private/tmp directory. When entering Terminal commands be sure to type the commands carefully. Spaces are very important. You may copy and paste commands directly from here if required:

Launch the Terminal application (located in /Application/Utilities)
    Type the following command, followed by the return key: sudo -s
    Enter your administrator password. You should now be at a root prompt which looks like this "root#"
    Type the following command, followed by the return key: mkdir -m 1777 /private/tmp
    Type the following command, followed by the return key: ln -s /private/tmp /tmp
    Type the following command, followed by the return key: exit
    Quit the Terminal application and restart the computer.
    Once you have recreated the /private/tmp directory, you will be able to authenticate and use [program X]. You may also be able to print without needing to use Printer Setup Repair at all.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Case! Thanks for your help. However, it still shows this: "##Security API failed with error -60008."

I've done everything you've asked me to. Typed in the commands and restarted the computer.

brian-ws-computer:~ BrianW$ sudo -s
    brian-ws-computer:~ root# mkdir -m 1777 /private/tmp
    mkdir: /private/tmp: File exists
    brian-ws-computer:~ root# ln -s /private/tmp /tmp
    ln: /tmp/tmp: File exists
    brian-ws-computer:~ root# exit
    exit

What do I do now?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dabbled with it a little more and went ahead to do "Repair Permissions" again. And now, it works!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Sorry if this is a stupid questions, but how do i install mpeg2enc ? Because when i was trying to install it, i got confused ):
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Riinchaan View Post
    How do i install mpeg2enc ?
    Download mpeg2enc.intel. Option-click the link to prevent the browser from opening the code in a browser window.
    The icon or even the filename doesn't matter: the installer will take care of that.
    The file should be 501,480 bytes in size.
    Don't move the file. Let the installer copy it to where ffmpegX needs it to be.
    In the ffmpegX components self-installer window, use the Locate button for mpeg2enc, to let ffmpegX know where the downloaded file is. The URL to the right will change to a local path to reflect the selection.
    Enter you user account password. Press Install. Done.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM : PLEASE HELP !!

##sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440
    sh: line 1: 18036 Segmentation fault sudo -k

when i want to install the components : mpeg2enc + mencoder + mplayer
    What can i do ? in a simple english Thx.

.!.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I HAVE THIS PROBLEM : PLEASE HELP !!

##sudo: /etc/sudoers is mode 0644, should be 0440
    sh: line 1: 18036 Segmentation fault sudo -k

when i want to install the components : mpeg2enc + mencoder + mplayer
    What can i do ? in a simple english Thx.

.!.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I love FFMPEGX and decided to purchase it. I did the paypal transaction and received a confirmation email from them, but I have received no sort of code from FFMPEGX. Am I missing something on the confirmation email from paypal or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Micah
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by micahfaulkner75 View Post
    I have received no sort of code from FFMPEGX.
    I think you should also receive a follow-up e-mail from the developer, which should contain the code. I'm not sure if that part is automated, so wait a reasonable amount of time before contacting the developer/publisher. The contact details for should be in the PayPal message. Also check any spam mailbox, if applicable, to see if the message may have been inadvertently redirected away from your Inbox.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi,
    I've been reading all the directions here and having no luck.
    I've made sure I've renamed the boot drive to have no spaces or special characters, using the only admin account on the computer, dl'd and used the various different zips that are being recommended, tried installing, de-installing-re-installing, and more. I'm running 10.6.8 and also am installing ffmpegX 0.0.9y. I feel like I have covered every small detail given in this thread.
    This is the message I am getting every time.

##mkdir: /usr/local/lib: File exists

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jerboski View Post
    This error has been mentioned before (1) (2). It may point to a permissions problem, as user castellin pointed out.

1/ Try 'Repair Disk Permissions' using /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app
    If that doesn't solve it:
    2/ Manually change permissions on the folder 'lib' in /usr/local/ (if it contains a 'No access').
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanks for clarifying. Much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I can't find a lib file with usr/local. Now what. I went into package for ffmepgx. Should it be someplace else. I am running Lion with the latest ffmegx and binary downloads. I get that same "already already installed message.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pasjk View Post
    I can't find a lib file with usr/local.
    'lib' is a folder inside '/usr/local/' (if present), not a file. And that folder is empty on my Lion system. A weird error, as the folder isn't used by ffmpegX, as far as I can tell. (Note that 'usr' is an invisible folder.)

Originally Posted by pasjk
    I went into package for ffmepgx.
    No need for that.

Should it be someplace else
    ffmpegX.app should be placed inside the /Applications folder. Then start the app. When asked, let the installer copy the downloaded binaries to their special locations. That's all.

I get that same "already already installed message.
    Please be more precise about error messages.
    Quote Quote  
  21. ##mkdir: /usr/local/lib: File exists
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The user folders are - by default - hidden under Lion, as Case mentions. You can go directly to that folder in Finder, however.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  23. i see no lib file at the user root level named joek where should it be?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What filename are you looking for, exactly? Did you go straight to /usr/local/lib?

Why are you looking for a file named 'joek'?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pasjk View Post
    Try this:
    (First make sure to be logged in to a user account with administrator privileges. If there's only one user account, then that's good.)
    In the Finder, use the Go menu and select Go to Folder...
    If you have no Finder windows open, a floating window should appear, in which you can type.
    If you do have a Finder window open, the floating input field should attach to the front-most Finder window.
    Type /usr
    (The slash (/) at the first character tells that the starting point is the root of the boot volume: i.e. the top level of the startup disk.)
    Click Go.
    The invisible folder /usr and its content should become visible.
    Find the folder "local" in there.
    Get Info on the folder "local".
    Set the Sharing & Permissions for this folder to: system: Read & Write; wheel: Read only; everyone: Read only
    Open the folder "local". See if a folder "lib" exists in there. If it doesn't exist, then create it.
    Set the Sharing & Permissions for this folder to: system: Read & Write; wheel: Read only; everyone: Read only

Possibly one of the permissions may have been "No Access". After fixing that, the error in ffmpegX hopefully goes away.
    Quote Quote  
  26. i can't find that file to see if it needs to be made permissible. I did run permissions first. joek is the name of my root user file in finder. all my folders like library when using option a nd applications and users etc are there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you may be confusing folders and files.

The /usr/local/lib directory (or any directory under /usr) is on the root of the system hard drive, not part of your OS X user directory (joek, if I'm reading your post correctly ).
    Quote Quote  
  28. that did it. thank you gentlemen. although i was not able to add system or wheel to the lib folder, changing the everyone as per your ins ructions allowed the installation to complete. time for a test run.
    Quote Quote