VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I like it, but it reminds me too much of my cube.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At first I didnt realize, but that thing costs less than my iPod photo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ...and this is a G4 computer!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's a good deal if you have a monitor and keyboard. IF you have to buy those items, the G5 iMac is a better deal.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I like the 80gig one for $599.99 better then the 40gig hard drive thats $499.99
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...it looks like a cool prop from some SF movie...

This 2,9 pounds miniature is loaded with 80Gig, SuperDrive, Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme, all the necessary connectors and it is ready for Hi-Definition video editing!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it could fit under/inside a G4 Cube, no?

(6.5'' x 6.5'' x 2'')
    Quote Quote  
  8. Those are all option$.

Originally Posted by zorankarapancev
    ...it looks like a cool prop from some SF movie...

This 2,9 pounds miniature is loaded with 80Gig, SuperDrive, Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme, all the necessary connectors and it is ready for Hi-Definition video editing!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just sad it uses 2.5" hard drives... otherwise, it would have made a sweet media repository. I'm still waiting for the iServe with full entertainment center integration and set-top DVD player form factor. I hope they come out with that once HD-DVD drives become available...
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by decay
    it could fit under/inside a G4 Cube, no?

(6.5'' x 6.5'' x 2'')
    It could fit into a car stereo port
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think this is a… “Lego” brick computer! BRILLIANT!
    Buy any number of them, connect them together and make your own SUPERCOMPUTER!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    will have to admit, apple did an awesome thing with this. However, i have heard that additional options are NON USER INSTALLABLE! so if you want that extra ram, better get it with the upgradable options!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couldnt a Genius handle this at your friendly local Apple Store?

Anyway, most users who would likely be attracted to this product are not the type who want to trick out a computer. They just want to plug it in and have it work.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    However, i have heard that additional options are NON USER INSTALLABLE! so if you want that extra ram, better get it with the upgradable options!
    Disappointing, if true. So, is it hermetically sealed like the iMac G4 or something?

Like anyone sane would pay $425 for 1GB. For comparison, 2GB for the iMac G5 from transintl.com is $379.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've read on a couple of other forums that Apple merely "does not recommend" user installation. Also you can apparently buy your own ram and have it installed at any Authorised Apple Service Center.

On the other hand I also read that opening the box yourself does not void the warranty unless you break something. That one sounds like wishful thinking to me though
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  16. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Update: the memory thing might be at least partly true, see the spec page http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html and read footnote 5.

Also this knowledgebase page http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300572 says upgrades "should be installed by" a service center. That seems to suggest you ocan bring your own. Maybe
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by willrob
    It's a good deal if you have a monitor and keyboard. IF you have to buy those items, the G5 iMac is a better deal.
    Not really monitors & keyboards don't cost that much. An Imac G5 is $1299 and a mini is $500 I think you can get a monitor, keyboard and a mouse for less than $700.
    Quote Quote  
  18. A monitor as good as the iMac's? And remember the iMac is a G5. Also there's some question about the Mini's video capabilities vis a vis Tiger.

Originally Posted by destreaga
    Originally Posted by willrob
    It's a good deal if you have a monitor and keyboard. IF you have to buy those items, the G5 iMac is a better deal.
    Not really monitors & keyboards don't cost that much. An Imac G5 is $1299 and a mini is $500 I think you can get a monitor, keyboard and a mouse for less than $700.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some people don't need the G5, a great monitor, or the 64 MB of VRAM, and for them, the mini is more than adequate. So let them get a $100 19" CRT monitor (or just hook it up to their TV), a $15 scrolling 2-button USB optical mouse, and a $20 USB keyboard, (if they don't already have them) and they have a pretty decent setup for pretty cheap. If they have a use for the G5's features, then sure, it's probably a better deal than trying to upgrade the mini to those capabilities (where possible). I still think they were stupid for giving it a 2.5" HD though. They should have made it a little bigger and had 3.5" ones. This is the year of HD, after all... :P (I know, I suck)
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm curious to see someone actually run FCP and DVDSP3 on this thing, and actually put something ( a short, or mini film)
    togther on this thing.

But I agree with Ant for power users

it just doesn't cut it....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They told me at the Apple Store that I 'might' void the warranty if I installed extra memory in my eMac.
    Eat ME, Apple!
    I waited until the price of pc2700 ddr came down($59 for 512mb with rebate) and did it myself. The owners booklet even had instructions with pix.
    Easy to do. The eMac came with ***cough*** Hyundai*** cough *** memory. Yeech, I bought an Apple ricer.
    Now it has 768 mb. Can't go higher without taking out the original 256 because the Open Firmware is locked to 1 gig max.
    All that said, the $500 mini is way over priced for what you get, imho.
    Quote Quote  
  22. add an inch! 3.5" drives are even cheaper! and then it could have another DIMM slot. sad they went for the smallest possible.

BTW: a 1GB chip for this at New Egg is $155 right now (usa)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with trying to upgrade the eMac is that you expose some very dangerous components to the monitor in the process. One touch of the CRT's capacitor could leave you dead. It's best to know what you're doing before taking the case off anything containing a CRT.
    Quote Quote  
  24. If you want to "Build" you own PC Mini. Could start wit this. Note the CPU speed. In this size range and temp limits. 500mhz is a viable cpu speed. Bet its about 200 just for the board and cpu.

http://www.mini-itx.com/news/11781086/

The catch is this:

1) Its not desigen for heavy power uses.
    2) They assume you already have the Monitor/kbd/Mouse to go along with it.
    3) One of the benifits is its size, simplisity, base software and low noise.

One thing that really bugs me is the noize from a normal PC. Its nice to see a company working on the noize problem.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NightWing
    If you want to "Build" you own PC Mini. Could start wit this. Note the CPU speed. In this size range and temp limits. 500mhz is a viable cpu speed. Bet its about 200 just for the board and cpu.

http://www.mini-itx.com/news/11781086/

The catch is this:

1) Its not desigen for heavy power uses.
    2) They assume you already have the Monitor/kbd/Mouse to go along with it.
    3) One of the benifits is its size, simplisity, base software and low noise.

One thing that really bugs me is the noize from a normal PC. Its nice to see a company working on the noize problem.
    I'm not quite sure if you are a troll or not. However I do know if I went out into the non-mac forums of this board and started trying to get people to buy a Mac I'd get flamed for days...
    Tim Houghton
    WebsitePhotography
    Quote Quote  
  26. Apparently if you want to "Pimp Your Ride" the mini might be just right for you. MP3s and DVDs and dvd navigation... I smell many automotive booths at the next MacWorld. http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/1/prweb197110.htm
    Quote Quote  
  27. Nope. Not trolling.

I do consulting. Heck I recomend what ever is best to a client. A Mac, PC, Pocket PC, Palm or even a Smartphone. It depends on what they want to do with it.

The reason I places that link is the real thing that is bugging me reading all of the thread on the net. Is that the PC group keeps telling people for X price I can build Y that beats it. Yea but they forget the three main limiting items they must also address of temp, cpu speed and size to do a real comparasion. The MB of the Mini is pretty darn small. That link has one of the cloest PC MB I know thats proabbly equal in size, temp and rought noize. Funny thing is the speed are 500, 800 and 1000mhz! So are a lot of board that meet the rough same Mini spects on size and temp.

The book has not been written or even open untill Jan 22 on the Mini. When people can get their hand on a unit. It going to be intersting to see what it can and cant do.

I hope the Mini makes it. I put this in the same area as some of the "Cube" PC. These systems are half way between a desktop and a laptop. That is a strange nitch. An in that group the Mini should be a good player. Be outstanding for an office. Nice that people cant load their PC junk on it!

Thinking very hard on getting one. The next issue of Macworld should have a review on it and as soon as the first unit hits the net will have user reviews.

PS: Any one know on how much power the power floor wart puts out? Wonder if a 12 volt adapter will be?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Putting this in a car is one of the best ideas I have heard. I have an old PC laptop that I planned on putting in my car. With bluetooth and voice recognition it steals my laptops thunder. A monitor could really add to the price though. I want the kids to be able to watch DVDs on long trips.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I saw the mac mini and I have to have one. It's about time I learn something about macs. I wish Apple would release a DVI-to HDcomponent adapter for it this would make a great media center box.

Then I found that gratis is giving them away now. I got my Ipod from them back in june. Hopefully I can get one of these free.
    Link removed.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. User banned. Linking to the free iPod scam is a bannable offense:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1141670#1141670
    / Moderator Capmaster
    Quote Quote