VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a usb instant dvd for mac and a mac G4. I'm using the bundled software PixeDV capture software that will not allow me to capture and backup a videotape (that I own) with copy protection. Is there any other software I can use to capture or a workaround?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only PixeDV can control the ADS USB Instant DVD for Mac. There are two versions included on the software disc. The version that's easily found supports encoding to either PAL or NTSC but won't accept Macrovision-encoded sources. A version several folders deep in a folder titled Help is NTSC only and does accept Macrovision-encoded sources.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the alternate application, but when I launch it and send a signal to it the audio and video are distorted and useless (even with non macrovision tapes). I swithed back and forth between the version I was using and the one you suggested and the one I was using is still ok. which tells me everything is connected properly. Any other suggestions?
    A picture is worth a thousand words, but a good camera is worth about a thousand bucks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try totally deleting the PixeDV application including any preferences. Just search the hard drive for PixeDV and drag everything to the trash. Then install the hidden version.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got a chance to try that and it still doesn't work.
    Any more sugestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Frobozz is right. It works for me.

Frobozz - do you know how localize PixeDV for Mac ver. 2.5.3? Its at the Pixela website, Japanese section - download.

Pixela also has a Mac set top encoder box with PixeDV for Mac capture software, which ought to be compatible with the InstantDVD box, maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wingsabove
    Frobozz - do you know how localize PixeDV for Mac ver. 2.5.3? Its at the Pixela website, Japanese section - download.

Pixela also has a Mac set top encoder box with PixeDV for Mac capture software, which ought to be compatible with the InstantDVD box, maybe?
    I've played around some with those downloads from Pixela but nothing has worked for me. Then again, that's not the kind of thing I know how to do.

Like you, I've found the PixeDV captures to be troublesome at times. What's worked best for me is the capture at no more than 5.5 mbps and to use VBR, not CBR. Also, I need to trim a second off the end of the capture using MPEG Cutter before the mpeg can be used directly in Toast 6. I've never had good luck with the .m2v and .aiff stream exports.

Originally I got this box because I just wanted to convert some of my Laserdiscs to DVD, so encoding directly to MPEG2 made good sense. But after some difficulty I decided to get a Canopus ADVC-55. Although it worked great the time it took to encode MPEGs was bothersome and Toast 6 sometimes would get the fields reversed. Better encoders take even longer so I decided last summer to buy a Pioneer DVD recorder with built-in hard drive. Wow! That's the ticket.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried again and still no luck.
    Does anyone have a link for a PixeDV download I can try?
    A picture is worth a thousand words, but a good camera is worth about a thousand bucks.
    Quote Quote