VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking of putting together a new system using an AMD 790GX motherboard and the AMD Athlon X2 7850 Kuma 2.8GHz CPU.

I need to keep the price down but I'm curious how fast it will be encoding?

Anyone have the 7750 or 7850 Kuma CPU ???

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guessing it's going to depend on the encoder and the OS.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is my favorite thread!!
    food folks and fun
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by glockjs View Post
    Yeah, it's not great, since you have 4 cores, on a single processor. It should see 4 processors. Unless that is a setting that you input yourself. Maybe 2 procs is the maximum that program can use -- yup, actually, just ran that program on my machine, and it also shows 2 procs, and I'm running a Phenom II x4.

It is a very old program, and I am sure that is why ... but for benchmarking, this is probably no longer a viable program, then... although for comparison against older machines, it's good to use the same SW to compare results.

So in a nutshell, it's nothing to worry about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but it is a bit interesting to see what core architecture truly does for you when you don't have multi-threaded apps running.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ill be honest i was being sarcastic

i thought 10 sec on 2 out of 4 cores on an amd is actually decent and yes new benchie plz
    PhenII 955@3.74 - GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 - 2x4 Corsair Vengeance@1600 - Radeon 5770 - Corsair 550VX - OCZ Agility 3 90GB WD BLACK 1TB - LiteOn 24x - Win 8 Preview - Logi G110+G500
    Quote Quote  
  8. TMPEGEnc can only use two cores. This is a benchmark of TMPGEnc, not systems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TMPEGEnc can only use two cores. This is a benchmark of TMPGEnc, not systems.

it used to be able to use at least 4 cpus -- i used to run it on a quad xeon
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by BJ_M View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    TMPEGEnc can only use two cores. This is a benchmark of TMPGEnc, not systems.
    it used to be able to use at least 4 cpus -- i used to run it on a quad xeon
    Just because Task Manager shows all four CPUs doing something doesn't mean the process is using four threads. Windows will usually bounce threads between all cores. Even a single threaded program will show activity on all cores but it is only running on one of them at a time.

I just ran a test with TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. I encoded a short DV video (no filtering) using Task Manager to set the CPU affinity to limit the number of cores. Here are the encoding times (Q6600 quad core CPU):

1 core: 288 seconds
    2 cores: 143 seconds
    3 cores: 131 seconds
    4 cores: 131 seconds

I ran each encoding twice and got the same results (one was 1 second different). My interpretation: TMPGEnc is probably using 2 threads in the encoding engine and maybe a third thread to do the other processing (decompressing the DV video, converting YUV to RGB, etc.). Even if it is running 4 or more threads it is not using them effectively. It's basically a 2 thread program. Unless you know of some way to change the thread count (see cylcometric's post above).
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Jun 2010 at 23:20.
    Quote Quote