VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer 220S (our limit is $250) I read on dvdplusrw.org's website that + dvd recorders are better than - recorders for many reasons such as compatability issues. They say the + units can :

DVD+RW recorders can divide a recording into mulitple titles afterwards. With DVD-RW in "compatible mode" you cannot divide a title in mulitple titles afterward.

DVD+RW recorders can add chapter markers at any given point afterwards where on a dvd-rw you can not add chapter stops manually when the recording is made in "compatable mode".

DVD+RW recorders can hide out chapters to edit your recordings afterwards where on a dvd-rw you can not perform any editing features on a recording made in "compatible mode".

DVD+RW recordings can always be added anywhere on a disc where on a DVD-RW you can only erase the last title on a disk or record after it.

DVD+RW recordings do not need to be finalized, where DVD-RW disc needs to be or it won't be recognized by other DVD players.

Is all this true or is this site biased? I'm just a stay at home mom that wants to be able to transfer home movies to DVD's from my camcorder EASILY and be able to take them over relatives homes to view on their DVD players without issue. Will I have a problem with compatability and editing?

Please, explain to me in simplest terms....I'm very new to all of this. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. In my experience DVD-R's are the most compatable format. I have not yet even encountered a DVD player less that 4 years old that cant play them. I had compatability issues right off the bat when i tried using DVD+R's.

It all depends on what u plan to play it on...
    The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success...
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just plan to play it on other DVD players (besides my own) and possibly play it on a computer or two. What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TraGreg
    I just plan to play it on other DVD players (besides my own) and possibly play it on a computer or two. What do you think?
    Hello,

Never had a problem with either type (I have a dual FORMAT burner so I can do - or +). It's all personal experience.

If your dvd players are newer than four years old there should be almost no problem at all. Any older than that and you may want to use - r for increased compatibility (or buy a new dvd player - they're only $40 or so these days for good cheap ones ).

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok thanks so much!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's also remember that the original question was regarding editing capabilities of each format on a recorder!

Unfortunately, I'm ill equiped to offer advice on this since I've only had a recorder for a few days, and it is a + only.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'd go with the DVD-R's if i were you......
    The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    I read on dvdplusrw.org's website that + dvd recorders are better than - recorders for many reasons ...
    First, they are comparing DVD+VR mode using DVD+R/RW with DVD-Video mode using DVD-R/RW only. They are not comparing with DVD-VR mode. Pioneer provides both DVD-VR mode and DVD-Video mode.

Second, even if what they said are useful features, most DVD +R/RW recorders do not implement all of them. For example, very few implement the editing features (hide chapters and divide title).

So compare the features of DVD recorders instead of comparing - or +.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ckwok1
    I read on dvdplusrw.org's website that + dvd recorders are better than - recorders for many reasons ...

Second, even if what they said are useful features, most DVD +R/RW recorders do not implement all of them. For example, very few implement the editing features (hide chapters and divide title).
    Ok, not that I know if it's true or not, but the original quote would be like the Ford website saying Ford is better than Chevy.

Second, my cheapo iLo will hide chapters at least. I don't know yet about dividing titles.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tekkieman
    Second, my cheapo iLo will hide chapters at least. I don't know yet about dividing titles.
    Are you sure If it can hide chapters, it means it can be used to edit out commericals. Nothing about this feature in the manual.

I know some Philips and Sony can do editing on DVD+VR disc. Any others?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I farted
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer 220S (our limit is $250) I read on dvdplusrw.org's website that + dvd recorders are better than - recorders for many reasons such as compatability issues. They say the + units can :

DVD+RW recorders can divide a recording into mulitple titles afterwards. With DVD-RW in "compatible mode" you cannot divide a title in mulitple titles afterward.

DVD+RW recorders can add chapter markers at any given point afterwards where on a dvd-rw you can not add chapter stops manually when the recording is made in "compatable mode".

DVD+RW recorders can hide out chapters to edit your recordings afterwards where on a dvd-rw you can not perform any editing features on a recording made in "compatible mode".

DVD+RW recordings can always be added anywhere on a disc where on a DVD-RW you can only erase the last title on a disk or record after it.

DVD+RW recordings do not need to be finalized, where DVD-RW disc needs to be or it won't be recognized by other DVD players.

Is all this true or is this site biased? I'm just a stay at home mom that wants to be able to transfer home movies to DVD's from my camcorder EASILY and be able to take them over relatives homes to view on their DVD players without issue. Will I have a problem with compatability and editing?

Please, explain to me in simplest terms....I'm very new to all of this. Thanks!
    You can do all of the above with DVD-RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It is a fact that -r is more compatable than +r, not buy alot, but more.
    I would say 75% or more of the people on this site would recomend -r

More important is use quality made in Japan media only.
    Quote Quote  
  15. We're definitely not interested in DVD-RAM. Think we'll stick with our - decision.

Thanks to everyone so very much for your help
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    We're definitely not interested in DVD-RAM. Think we'll stick with our - decision.

Thanks to everyone so very much for your help
    Your loss!
    Quote Quote  
  17. A player that records and plays- R -Rw and - Ram are the best formats and very versatile.. like the JVC DR-MH30S
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, but I can't afford those models. As I mentioned, my limit is $250
    Quote Quote  
  19. It seems to me that you need to know that all of the editing capabilities you are discussing are only available in VR mode. A disc created in that mode will probably not work in other DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I don't even know whta VR mode is. I don't own a DVD recorder and as I mentioned above I am very new to all of this and don't know the abbreviated terms you all use. I'm sure I'll learn more once I buy one, for me it's hard to learn about one unless I am actually doing it as I read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    I don't even know whta VR mode is. I don't own a DVD recorder and as I mentioned above I am very new to all of this and don't know the abbreviated terms you all use. I'm sure I'll learn more once I buy one, for me it's hard to learn about one unless I am actually doing it as I read the manual
    As part of your research into what to buy, you should learn as much as you can so that you invest in a set-up that best suits your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  22. That's why I'm here! I learn best from other people instead of reading web pages. You all have been so helpful, I'm so glad I found this site
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    I don't even know whta VR mode is. I don't own a DVD recorder and as I mentioned above I am very new to all of this and don't know the abbreviated terms you all use. I'm sure I'll learn more once I buy one, for me it's hard to learn about one unless I am actually doing it as I read the manual
    The main thing you need to know is that VR mode gives you editing capability but makes the disc incompatible with other DVD players. If you want to share your discs with others, you will have to use Video mode and you will lose editing capability.

There are ways to use Video mode and have editing capability but they probably require spending more money.

I have the 220S and it is nice recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  24. It appears the industry is far from having DVD recorders a perfect science. So basically what I'm looking at is I'll have a unedited crappy DVD if I want to be able to show it or give it to relatives. lol What kind of editing can I do in Video mode? I don't need it to do much, just simple editing.
    Quote Quote  
  25. You can't do any editing in Video mode in the recorder. To do editing in Video mode you need a recorder with a hard drive and they cost a lot more.

Or you can take the disc and do the editing on the computer. That requires software and a dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ohhh ok I have a DVD Burner in my computer and DVD Burning software. Maybe I can do it with that then. So if I make a DVD in VR mode and edit it on my DVD player, it can NEVER be viewed on any other DvD player? Even if I close the session or whatever it's called?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by TraGreg
    Ohhh ok I have a DVD Burner in my computer and DVD Burning software. Maybe I can do it with that then. So if I make a DVD in VR mode and edit it on my DVD player, it can NEVER be viewed on any other DvD player? Even if I close the session or whatever it's called?
    Make that, almost never. There are a few, very few, dvd players that can read a VR mode disc.

You may still need some editing software on the computer, but you have everything else you need. Doing it on the computer let's you get it just the way you want it. Assuming, that as a mom, you'll have the time.
    Quote Quote  
  28. A little history may help you out. Here is a highly simplified history and description of the formats:

First there was DVD-ROM (computers) and Movie DVDs. These disk could not be written to, they were stamped out in factories just like records.

Then came DVD-R, The laser frequecy that was best suited for DVD-R was slightly different than for DVD-ROM and the way the data was formatted was a little different. But many DVD players could play them. And once the format was available manufactures started making their DVD players as compatible as they could.

The plus consortium was about a year later getting DVD+R to market. The optimal laser frequency is different than for DVD-R and DVD-ROM, and the way data was formatted was a little different again. Once the format hit the market manufactures started making their DVD players compatible with DVD+R. But since DVD-R had been on the market for a year longer there is a generation of players that work better with DVD-R than DVD+R. Modern DVD players work about equally well with both. And there are older players that don't work with either.

Both the -R and +R media can only be written to once. It's like writing with a pen on paper. At best you can cross out what you wrote before. So creative rules were set up that reserved space for later editing. Think of it like reserving several blank pages for the table of contents in a book. If you want to erase something, you cross out the existing table of contents, and write a new one omitting the "erased" contents. The erased contents is still on the disk, it's just no longer listed in the TOC.

-RW and +RW allow you to erase what you have written. So it's much more like writing with a pencil on paper. If you want to make changes you just erase the old content and write again.

Of course dvdplusrw.org is biased -- they're the group representing the plus camp. If you go to the equivalent dash (minus) web site you'll get equally biased information the other way!
    Quote Quote  
  29. That's a good summation. But the DVD-RAM people will feel left out.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by sync
    Ohhh ok I have a DVD Burner in my computer and DVD Burning software. Maybe I can do it with that then. So if I make a DVD in VR mode and edit it on my DVD player, it can NEVER be viewed on any other DvD player? Even if I close the session or whatever it's called?
    Make that, almost never. There are a few, very few, dvd players that can read a VR mode disc.

You may still need some editing software on the computer, but you have everything else you need. Doing it on the computer let's you get it just the way you want it. Assuming, that as a mom, you'll have the time.
    All Panasonic DVD players can read a VR mode disc - they play DVD-RAM.
    Quote Quote