VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. on http://huffyk.hollosite.com

you will find unofficial FW for philips dvp 6** (modified1109)

the only difference to official FW 1109 is that subtitles are bigger and better readable (dark transparent background)

i have upgraded 5 players with this FW so far and all work perfectly
    cosma
    Quote Quote  
  2. can you please tell me how to upgrade the firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  3. it is the same procedure as with the original FW

burn the .rom files on CD and insert in player, do not touch anything until the player announces DONE and turn itself off then unplug it for 15seconds from wall, then plug in and press eject, tray will open and remove the disc that s it!!!

the manual can be found on http://www.p4c.philips.com/
    Quote Quote  
  4. thank you very much .
    Quote Quote  
  5. if the link is not working here is the link to the files:

http://members.chello.sk/vladoh/fw/630_1109_lat2_v1.1.zip
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have a link to the offical FW?

Thanks!
    "The name on the front of your shirt is more important than the name on the back"
    Kurt Russell - Miracle
    Quote Quote  
  7. I edited this post because in it originally I was mistaken about HuffyK's firmware. I thought it wouldn't read my subtitles because I had FF'd to get to them and then they didn't show right away. This was just a problem of the dvp642 itself and not HuffyK's modified firmware. His firmware is good and getting better. If you need subtitle support for divx/xvid files then you should definitely think about updating.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by giannid

When fast-forwarding it would skip a subtitle or 2 before displaying them properly again.

this is problem of all versions either official or unofficial - learn to use Display button - works 100% with subtitles

i have no experience with germanic languages how they work with subtitles, this version works excellently with english and slavic languages (czech, slovak, polish etc....)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by cosma
    i have no experience with germanic languages how they work with subtitles, this version works excellently with english and slavic languages (czech, slovak, polish etc....)
    Cosma, do you happen to know if this version supports Cyrillic subtitles in CP-1251 (Windows Encoding)? That would be really nice if it did...
    Quote Quote  
  10. i have no experience with cyrillic because i dont have subtitles of this letters.

send me some file on vjec@seznam.cz and i can try it then will take photos of the subtitle in TV and willl post the pictures to the forum

BTW from the text file by author of the modified firmware

v 1.1

Modified firmware 1109 for philips 63x, 64x
    Same fonts as in v1.0

v 1.0

Modified firmware 0531 for philips 630.
    Latin1 section contains Arial size 28
    Latin2 section contains Arial size 24
    Cyrillic section contains correct position of some characters in CP1250 charset
    (there are still missing characters from 0x80 to 0xA0)

Color of font is white on transparent background.

huffyk2k4@yahoo.com

firmware was changed using DVDPatcher (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvd-patcher/)
    checksum patching help from Morbo
    so try it and you will see than share it with us how successful you were
    you can always downgrade to official 1109
    Quote Quote  
  11. when upgraded does it default to PAL or NTSC output ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Has anyone else tried this modified firmware? Please tell us what you think, positive or negative.

Thanks in Advance.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, I tried it. Regret to inform it doesn't have any Cyrillic support whatsoever. The little one there was in the official version (some obscure encoding no one uses any more) is gone in the hacked one. The subtitles did seem a bit better than the factory firmware, but since no support of Russian in the hacked version, had to revert to stock 1109. I wish the author, having figured out how to take the ROM files apart and generate the checksum, actually went into trouble to fix the entire set of fonts or at least leave the ones he didn't have replacements for intact. As it is, the hacked version is probably perfectly good for the English only crowd, but it doesn't do much for the rest of us.

BTW, I used to have 531 on my player and I was relatively happy with it. Tried one of the files that screwed up 531, it still screws up 1109. Plays perfectly on LiteOn LVD-2002. Well, looking at the "Hacks" section of this website, it seems that the 1109 "upgrade" is utterly useless. Don't understand why Philips came out with an "upgrade" which doesn't improve anything at all, unless the purpose of it quite the opposite - introduce some kind of a copyright protection measure (Macrovision) or like.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by boroda
    Don't understand why Philips came out with an "upgrade" which doesn't improve anything at all...
    I beg to differ, my machine woth 531 had the 'faint vertical pinstripes' problem on certain DivX and XviD files that could only be fixed by going into the system menu, changing the progressive scan to on, letting the machine change reset the setting 15 secs later, and then re-joining the movie.

Now with 1109, it doesn't happen. Since I couldn't give a flying hootenanny that macrovision has now been implemented (who wants to back up a DVD on a VHS machine anyway?) I think the 1109 firmware is a huge step in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by boroda
    Well, I tried it. Regret to inform it doesn't have any Cyrillic support whatsoever. The little one there was in the official version (some obscure encoding no one uses any more) is gone in the hacked one. The subtitles did seem a bit better than the factory firmware, but since no support of Russian in the hacked version, had to revert to stock 1109. I wish the author, having figured out how to take the ROM files apart and generate the checksum, actually went into trouble to fix the entire set of fonts or at least leave the ones he didn't have replacements for intact. As it is, the hacked version is probably perfectly good for the English only crowd, but it doesn't do much for the rest of us.
    well try this version : http://www.link.si/~ezadnik/Alec999/PhilipsDVD630.htm
    Quote Quote  
  16. First of all, a new version of the modified firmware has been released.
    http://huffyk.hollosite.com

Second, I need to retract my criticism of the modified firmware which was probably due to small problems of the DVP642 (e.g. not reading subtitle right after Fast Forwarding) and not the firmware itself.

According to Jefferson Ryan's review
    http://www.ryan.com.br/prod_dvp642_fwhack.htm (portuguese)
    the modified firmware does play Portuguese fonts and probably most others too.

He reviewed the modified firmware version 1.1 and says that he likes it enough that he is now using it instead of the official firmware.

He says that the firmware will apply the settings for european DVP630 (edit. Jefferson uses a particular version, DVP642/78, which wasn't listed as an option and so his reverted to the 630 - mine stayed 642/37). This is the same player as the DVP642, but it is configured a little differently - for language menu options and for PAL video format. PAL can be changed back to NTSC from the system menu. However he says to first make sure that your tv screen is readable in PAL and that you should test this out before installing the firmware. He says you can test it by using the current firmware and switching to PAL in the system menu. If it's not readable, then don't worry. Don't do anything and it will revert back by itself, however then you shouldn't apply the mod. If it's readable or if your TV supports both PAL and NTSC then it's okay to install.

The imperfections:

1. The remnants of the edges of a lengthy subtitle line remained as the film went on and new subtitles were shown. This is a side effect from using a bigger font.
    (example)
    http://www.ryan.com.br/IMAGENS/DVP642/legenda_hacked_sobra.jpg

2. He tested cetain letters particular to portuguese
    "áéíóú ÁÉÍÓÚ ã Ã à Á ü Ü âêô ÂÊÔ ç Ç", and there was problems with only 3 of them - "à" "ê" and "Ê". In the example photo linked above, he marked the letter (above number 3) which appears as an "r" with an accent. This should have been "à".

The Advantages of this firmware (version 1.1):

1. The subtitles are significantly larger.

2. You can easily use the semi-transparent background without having to apply the Javier double-click gimmick. This is especially convenient with multiple files on one disc.

Jefferson concludes, "If you are able to live with a few imperfections (I am) and don't care about Macrovision, then do upgrade using the modified firmware."

Just after Jefferson performed his tests on the firmware he found out that a newer version of this modified firmware had just been released. It looks very interesting.

The release notes say that Latin1 has yellow arial size 32 fonts (outline) whereas Latin2 has white Arial size 28 against a semi-transparent background.

---------------------------------------------------
    (release notes)
    v 2.0
    http://huffyk.hollosite.com

Modified firmware 1109 for philips 63x, 64x (only ISO-Latin2 charsets)
    Latin1 section contains Yellow Arial Narrow font size 32 (outline)
    - full charset
    Latin2 section contains White Arial Narrow font size 28 (transparent background)
    - only CZ/SK characters! (no room for other)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Jefferson Ryan tested HuffyK's latest version (2.0), but he still prefers the previous version (1.1).

By clicking below, you can see an example of a screenshot from his page . This shows that the new version's subtitles are not as easy to read.
    version2.0 screenshot
    This was using the yellow outlined Arial Latin1 font. The Latin2 font of the 2.0 version has little support for accents. Release notes say Latin2 only had room for Czech and Slovak characters and thus most of us would have to use the outlined yellow fonts of Latin1 which was not so easy to read. Therefore, Jefferson recommends the previous version (1.1).

Unfortunately HuffyK took down the link to this version (1.1) when the new one came out and only 2.0 is available.

Jefferson posted these Emule links on his site for the versions (new and old). When he says same as "official" he means those that used to be linked on HuffyK's website

Version 1109 2.0 (Already tested by Rodrigo Ferreira, emule version OK - same as "oficial")
    ed2k://|file|630_1109_lat2_v2.0.zip|2551467|077E267F13560 44A8FDF1A00B37AE68A|/

Version 1109 1.1 (tested, emule version OK - same as "oficial")
    ed2k://|file|630_1109_lat2_v1.1.zip|2547078|7353A1DF6BA63 976A87D87616B21ED4F|/

Versão 0531 1.0 (not yet tested)
    ed2k://|file|630_0531_lat2_v1.0.zip|1695077|1A5EEE086311D B8E5EAC0D02ABEC6C6D|/[/url]
    Quote Quote  
  18. I reapplied the 1.1 version, and it's definitely more convenient than the official version, although I'm not sure if it's all that much easier to read than with the double click and Latin2 fonts.

It's probably worth it if you have a lot of DVD-R's with multiple avi's and subtitle files.

By the way, has anyone tried the other modified firmware that Cosma suggested?
    http://www.link.si/~ezadnik/Alec999/PhilipsDVD630_firmware.htm

Thoughts? Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    new version of the modified firmware is out, v2.1

http://members.chello.sk/vladoh/fw/630_1109_lat2_v2.1.zip

v 2.1

Modified firmware 1109 for philips 63x, 64x (only ISO-Latin2 charsets)
    Latin1 section contains White Arial Bold font size 28 (outline)
    Latin2 section contains White Arial font size 28 (transparent background)

-now all with full ISO-Latin2 charset
    Gonna test it out now, I don't care much for the yellow font used in v2.0
    Quote Quote  
  20. I have tried now HuffyK's latest version 2.1.

Look great, the subs av very easy to read. Exactly as I want them

With the execption that I'm missing a the sign for the Swedish letter "å".
    I have now downgraded to the Offical 1109 version again.

Are there any skandinavien people out there that have tried the
    HuffyK's version 1.1 or the Philips 630 v1.0 version from
    http://www.link.si/~ezadnik/Alec999/ with good result?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi.
    The friend of mine just bought Philips 642 with f/w 1109.
    Hi is complaining FastForward and Rewind arrows (left and right on the remote control) do not work on DivX files. Can somebody having original 1109 f/w confirm or disprove this info?

Thanks!
    Signature is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
    Quote Quote  
  22. at first: all postings here are concerned with unofficials FW for 642, next time post a new topic plz.

BTW:

rewinding or forwarding of divx files works of course - ff arrow is to the right from OK button
    rew button to the left, tell your friend not to use button for skipping tracks or to read the manual carefully
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi all,

so first some information. I have release modified firmware only with ISO-Latin2 charset. Now i have ready 642k/78 0531 and 1109 firmware with ISO-Latin1 charset. I want to also change 630/00. But could someone give me link to 0531 630/00 link? I will create also for this firmwares ISO-Latin1 version.

It is no problem to release also other ISO codepages (like cyrillic), if someone wants it. But it take a lot of space and mine webpage space is going low :/ (limit 10MB... one firmware has 2.5MB). I have tried several free providers, but noone left my homepage there. If i would have some ISP that offers me enough space, then i will release more firmwares. I will not pay for extra space for this free work :/
    Quote Quote  
  24. As far as I know, there are different ways to share your files, and as always, if there is a will there is a way.

If you can read Russian, you can use file sharing services i.e. http://www.webfile.ru
    http://www.narod.ru

Otherwise, you can use such free services as Yahoo! Briefcase (share files with "friends") or Yahoo! Groups. The easiest way is to open a Yahoo! Group (if there isn't one yet for 642 fans) and there you can upload files. 2.5 MB per file should not be big deal.

BTW, there is a Yahoo! Group for Philips DVP642 fans: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/philips_dvp642/
    Quote Quote  
  25. Someone who first tried the 1109 Latin2 2.1 version, then tried the 0531 Latin1 2.1 version and he couldn't get some characters like '¿' or '¡' (used in spanish)
    May be the new version is not correctly implementing Latin1, or the 'downgrade' messed up something

Huffyk, can you check this?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  26. Don't mean to sound dumb (too late for that)! Will the moddified fw make hard coded subtitles font size any bigger and easier to read? I'm thinking not, but I am just curious. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  27. HuffyK, I would like to thank you and tell you that many of us appreciate your work. I can imagine there is a huge demand for divx/xvid subtitle support and that this demand puts huge burdens on the servers that host your software.

One of Jefferson's friends has a mirror for your 2.1 version

HuffyK modified firmware version 2.1

Below are the CRC-32 details for the 2.1 zip. If the files you download have the same CRC-32 details as these below, then it is most certainly the same.
    Quote Quote  
  28. My experience with FW 2.1

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!
    Quote Quote