VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Guitarman,
    Are you using 1193? If so, have you noticed any "oddities"? I checked your firmware download page and no "cons" are yet listed for 1193. Just wondered if you or anyone else have anything to report on this version as yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I, myself, have not found any blaring issues with the newest firmware. It seems fairly stable. I know there are a couple of issues that were not addressed in it but not show stoppers. What's really cool is the fact we finally have MV/LP hacks for the HD04. Been waiting for a while for that!!
    Guitarman
    ILO DVDR04/HD04 Firmware Download Page

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just wondering ( if this thread is still active) anybody cracked the cover on these? can a HD be added later somehow?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ahhaa
    just wondering ( if this thread is still active) anybody cracked the cover on these? can a HD be added later somehow?
    If you are talking about the R04, no it can't. The R04 has a different chipset from the HD04 and will not recognize a hard drive.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ All. Hi ..a new toy.

@ Guitarman

I'm the proud owner of the (my) iLO DVDR04 unit (box is July 2004)
    at Wal-Mart for $138 bucks.
    .. I almost got the Emerson for $159 but decided at last minute, to go
    .. with the iLO brand/model instead. I hope I won't regret it.

Long story short.

I can't wait to upon and enjoy (and tinker) with this new toy.
    I do hope I'm not disapointed in the final output quality.
    I want to try everything this unit has to offer.

I would like to perform the FWH, but first, I want to test the unit out
    before I make any final decision.., case I have to return it.., cause
    it's the right thing to do.
    and

I've only once, performed an firmware update (hack) to my Apex AD-1500
    dvd player a few years ago, and I remember how a pain it was at all the
    steps involved. I remember seeing something even better, and I hope
    that your FWH will be an easy chore.

But, if I may ask ...

Have you (or can you) make a firmware *image* file for us Nero users.
    This way, all we have to do is D/L the *.nrg image file and burn it w/ Nero
    in one quick and easy (painless) step ??
    I asked, because after going to your site (thank you) you have various
    files and image data files to D/L and it's confusing me. I'm not sure
    what to D/L, that I stopped D/L'ing any more files.

Thanks again,

-vhelp 3128
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Emerson is nice too. As is Sanyo.
    Just in case the ILO angers you somehow.
    There are other choices.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs ē Best TBCs ē Best VCRs for capture ē Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First..

I just got the unit setup (above plan) and all is working well.
    I mention my brief success so far here, and I really like it so far.

And then second..

I have a question though.

I don't want to perform any FWH until I'm sure I need to do it.

So far, the only beenfit (at the moment) is for MV, Region and 3hr
    mode recording, which would probably be a benfit to my video endeavors.
    But, if it's going to mess up my output quality level to any extent,
    then I don't think that I would want to jepordise the FWH. However,
    the question..

* Is it possible to revert back to the initial firmware state ??

* If not, can there be a process to BURN an firmware image of its
    .. original state (like right now state) and keep that for default
    .. fall back purposes ??

Thanks guys,

-vhelp 3131
    Quote Quote  
  8. vhelp,

There are o quality differences in the hacked firmware. You will just gain LP mode and region free ability and loose MV sensing. I have 2 of the HD04 models and they have been working great with the upgrades.

You can, if you choose, revert back to a unhacked firmware at any time. My site has both unhacked and hacked versions of the firmware so you can download either.

Probably by the time you read this, there should be Nero images for both the R04 and the HD04.

Good luck.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I just bought a LiteOn lvw-5005, I used Mr. Wizards program to hack the system update firmware, but theres also a drive firmware at the official liteon website, it says to install after the system update, does anyone know if that will mess up the hacked firmware if I chose to use the drive update firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a Gateway AR-230 dvd recorder... which firmware download, if any, will enable 3HR mode and macrovision disable..

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Stoney just download the hacker app and run it on your downloaded firmware before you put it on cd. I am not sure if anyone has try it on the gateway but the gateway is same unit as ilo and liteon so it should work. It will give you the info if it did or didnt in the app.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The ILO Firmware Download Page has been updated to include both Nero and standard .ISO CD image files for the latest firmware versions for both the R04 and HD04.

The Nero image files was done with Nero v6.6 and the .ISO images should work with most any CD recording software.

Image files available:
    ILO DVDR04 451S and 813S Models v1097
    ILO DVDRHD04 v1193
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks whompus...i`ll give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I tried the firmware upgrade from the afore mentioned download page but it doesn`t seem to work on my Gateway. The cd just spins for a bit then it flashes file then the tray opens. Am I doing something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Guitarman

I was pointed to your comments by vhelp and youíre input in that thread. I Read your comments and went to web site ss3f.com. The use of the ilo recorder seems to be the answer to my problems (MY MV copy protected VHS or DVD to DVD). I do not think it would override CSS. This site has a number of downloads for drivers. One, version 1.4, for the LitsOn/ilo and only gives this driver for these units and covers all liteOn/ilo units. A series of drivers for the DVDR04 (1095,1097 etc. original & new. A series for the DVDHR04 (1185,1191,1193 etc. I have only seen the 1100 sires mentioned in the forum. I believe LiteOn and iLO are the same mfg. It is reported that the DVDR04 will not read DL disks and that those made in Aug. 04 have problems. Does this mean that the DVDR04 will not play commercial DL disks? I know that it will not copy to a hard drive but will it copy to a DVD writter in a PC. What unit and drivers would you recommend?

I wish to thank you for your comments, time and effort and those at ss3f.com. It is down to earth. What most of us need?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Stoney
    Dont try to use the upgrade there. They are for the ilo and some are for the liteons. What I meant was for you to download the hacker app. There is a link to it there as well. It is called ilo hacker but works on the liteons as well. Your gateway is the same thing. After you download the hacker app you will need to download the firmware from gateway for the unit. Before you burn the firmware to cd open the hacker app select the button to select your firmware you just downloaded. You will see then in the bottom window what it has done. It will then create a subfolder in the folder your downloaded firmware is in called hacked. Burn the file inside the subfolder to cd in iso mode then try that. Most people use nero for that but drag and drop in win xp works the same for me. The windows packet write is in iso it seems.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by LCSHG
    Guitarman

I was pointed to your comments by vhelp and youíre input in that thread. I Read your comments and went to web site ss3f.com. The use of the ilo recorder seems to be the answer to my problems (MY MV copy protected VHS or DVD to DVD). I do not think it would override CSS. This site has a number of downloads for drivers. One, version 1.4, for the LitsOn/ilo and only gives this driver for these units and covers all liteOn/ilo units. A series of drivers for the DVDR04 (1095,1097 etc. original & new. A series for the DVDHR04 (1185,1191,1193 etc. I have only seen the 1100 sires mentioned in the forum. I believe LiteOn and iLO are the same mfg. It is reported that the DVDR04 will not read DL disks and that those made in Aug. 04 have problems. Does this mean that the DVDR04 will not play commercial DL disks? I know that it will not copy to a hard drive but will it copy to a DVD writter in a PC. What unit and drivers would you recommend?

I wish to thank you for your comments, time and effort and those at ss3f.com. It is down to earth. What most of us need?
    For reference, ILO is made by LiteOn specifically for WalMart. The R04 is basically a rebadged LiteOn LVW-5001 and the HD04 is the unreleased LiteOn LVW-5020

Some users have mentioned issues with the ILO when the DVD switches layers but I myself have not seen this problem. I have the HD04 and have loaded the most recent hacked firmware (1193) and have had virtually no problems with the recorder. There is a known issue with the new ARCCOS copy protected DVD's on the ILO recorders. They have a problem playing but ILO has said they are working on a new firmware update for that.

On my site, there is a link to a firmware hacking tool that works for most all ILO and LiteOn recorders. The tool will remove MV, add LP 3-hour mode for those that don't have it and set the recorder to region free. The current version of the tool is 1.4b.

The only LiteOn deck with a HDD is the 5045. It is the same as the ILO HD04 but with a faster DVD drive, 160gb HDD, is able to use +and- recordable media and a few other enhancements.

I hope this helps in making your decision. Good Luck!!
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Guitarman
    Originally Posted by LCSHG
    Guitarman

For reference, ILO is made by LiteOn specifically for WalMart. The R04 is basically a rebadged LiteOn LVW-5001 and the HD04 is the unreleased LiteOn LVW-5020

Some users have mentioned issues with the ILO when the DVD switches layers but I myself have not seen this problem. I have the HD04 and have loaded the most recent hacked firmware (1193) and have had virtually no problems with the recorder. There is a known issue with the new ARCCOS copy protected DVD's on the ILO recorders. They have a problem playing but ILO has said they are working on a new firmware update for that.

On my site, there is a link to a firmware hacking tool that works for most all ILO and LiteOn recorders. The tool will remove MV, add LP 3-hour mode for those that don't have it and set the recorder to region free. The current version of the tool is 1.4b.

The only LiteOn deck with a HDD is the 5045. It is the same as the ILO HD04 but with a faster DVD drive, 160gb HDD, is able to use +and- recordable media and a few other enhancements.

I hope this helps in making your decision. Good Luck!!
    It helps a lot and thanks. The iL0 unit is ok for me and, for my use, the 80gb drive is fine (did you mean that the 160 gb drive is faster or larger) Can the files on the drive be also be copied to a VHS (be nice) or to a PC drive and back again? If there is a nasty copy prtection problem I can always go the PC route( which I'm still learning). Is there any real advantage in writting both + and -? You say that there is a issue in playing a disk with the new copy protection. I assume that this is a problem that can be fixed and there would be no problems playing any commercial or correctly burned disks. The fact that you have a HD04 spesks volumes. You are using the hacked firmware 1193 but mention version 1.4b. Should I be using the tool version 1.4b? That site also warns not to use this on a already hacked system. Should I go this route first? The cost or mfg. is not the greatest issue but rather the end result is. While the decision is mine. Your input has helped a lot
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by LCSHG
    It helps a lot and thanks. The iL0 unit is ok for me and, for my use, the 80gb drive is fine (did you mean that the 160 gb drive is faster or larger)
    Just larger

Can the files on the drive be also be copied to a VHS (be nice) or to a PC drive and back again?
    Some users have modified their HD04 with a removeable harddrive caddie which allows them to take the HDD between the HD04 and the PC. It makes it easier if you are going to be using the computer to create your own DVD's with custom menus and stuff. As far as VHS, just plug the outputs of the HD04 into a VCR and record.

If there is a nasty copy prtection problem I can always go the PC route( which I'm still learning). Is there any real advantage in writting both + and -?
    It's really a matter of preference. there are some differences but most newer DVD players will play both.

You say that there is a issue in playing a disk with the new copy protection. I assume that this is a problem that can be fixed and there would be no problems playing any commercial or correctly burned disks.
    The issue should be fixed with a firmware update. ILO has said they are working on it.

The fact that you have a HD04 spesks volumes. You are using the hacked firmware 1193 but mention version 1.4b. Should I be using the tool version 1.4b? That site also warns not to use this on a already hacked system. Should I go this route first?
    You can either use the already hacked firmware on my site or get the factory unhacked firmware (also on my site) and use the Smart Firmware Hacking Tool to apply the hack yourself. Either way, you would then burn the HACKED firmware file to a CD and put it in the ILO. The recorder should then prompt you to do the update.

The cost or mfg. is not the greatest issue but rather the end result is. While the decision is mine. Your input has helped a lot

The HD04 does a great job for the money. I had 2 but wanted 1 recorder that was higher end so I sold one and bought a Pioneer DVR-420H-S for the things I'm more maticulous about. I have no doubt you will enjoy using the HD04. Good Luck!!!
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  20. Guitarman

My DSL was out of service, still is, I am using a dial up connection. I did manage to contact ILO tech service. Many commercial disks are DL and they confirmed that while the HR04 should play a DL disk it would not burn one. They seemed confused about double layer and double sided. They said if a file was too large it could be edited, shrunk, or split. I could not find out anything about the HDD disk format or the type of file. Your reference to removing the HDD and install in a PC would seem to indicate that they are ok and recognized by Windows and the files are of a type that can be edited or shrunk. I guess some things will have to be done on a PC. I have a DVD capable of burning a DL. I donít think I would require a capture card if I can put the entire file on the HDD, if itís already in a format I can use to process. You have been a great help Iíve given all your comments a lot of consideration and I am getting the HR04 and using your web site. I guess Iíll just have to get my feet wet and burn some Frisbees, most likely a lot.

I really do appreciate all your help
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hey, Guitarman. I used your hacked update, and, so far so good. Good job, man, and thanks alot!
    Quote Quote  
  22. The Ilo Firmware Download page has been updated with the newest firmware for the R04 and HD04.

Versions added:
    DVDR04: 1098
    DVDRHD04: 1193 RevB

Both fix the issue of playing ARCCOS copy protected discs.
    Both are only system updates.

Hacked versions of both firmware files are also posted on the site, along with a Nero CD image and ISO CD image of each file.

If you have any questions or problems, let me know.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If I already hacked it with the 1097, do I still have to hack this 1098 file(preferably w/ mr. wizards program) to install properly? If so, what would happen if I installed the official 1098 instead (just curious). Also, if I don't play commercial dvds, should I bother installing this update? Thanks for the heads up guitarman
    Quote Quote  
  24. snake
    If you don't use it as player and are happy with what you got I say stay there until some of us that do update find if it fixed or broke anything else. I did both my r04 and h04 but still a bit early to know what else if anything it fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by solidsnake
    If I already hacked it with the 1097, do I still have to hack this 1098 file(preferably w/ mr. wizards program) to install properly? If so, what would happen if I installed the official 1098 instead (just curious). Also, if I don't play commercial dvds, should I bother installing this update? Thanks for the heads up guitarman
    Hacks are not memory resident. Each new firmware update needs to be hacked since the update erases and rewrites the code to the recorder. Therefore, if you were to use the official 1098 file, you would loose the hacked options (LP, MV, Region Free). The files on my site were hacked with the Smart Firmware Hacker.

Also, like whompus noted, since this is a system only update and you don't play commercial DVD's, there is no real reason to do the update. If it included a drive update, then it would be beneficial.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks whompus and guitarman, I dont use this as a player so I guess I'll hold out on updating, as I'm happy with it as it is.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hey Guitarman. Your hacked firmware update for the R04: Is it for the 451S, the 813S, or both? I have a 451S, and just want to make sure I get the right firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Its system only So it is for both. No drive update this time.

If there where one for each I have faith Guitarman would put them both there before posting.

If you want to be sure you can always check the ilo help site to see what they posted.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Ah, that's right. I forgot the only difference to the two flavors IS the drive. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quote Quote  
  30. To All

I have updated the Ilo Firmware Download Page with a firmware update for the R04. It is a revision of 1098 (Filename: WMEA1098.ES5 3/14/05) and is suppose to fix the green tint issue with the R04. The original and hacked version are posted along with CD images for the hacked version in ISO and Nero format.
    Guitarman

ILO DVDRHD04
    Pioneer DVR-420H-S
    Magnavox MOXI DVR
    Quote Quote