VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone else experienced lockups when recording 1394 input (DV) on the DVDRHD04? The lockups occur whether recording to HD or DVD.

PROBLEM:

My DVDRHD04 is locking up after recording a complete tape from the DV input using a digital camcorder (Sony TRV-310 Digital 8). The problem is repeatable. If I let the camcorder go to the end of the tape, it automatically pauses the DVD recorder. Then, when I press the stop button on the ilo remote, the DVD recorder locks up with just a flashing STOP on the display. The recorder is then unresponsive to all remote and direct key presses. The only way I can reset is to pull the plug on the unit. Then, when it starts up again it tells me it needs to scan the HD and does scan it. But, when I go to the browser, the 2-hr recording I just did is not there????

When I record the same tape using SVideo input, it works fine, no lockups?

I updated the firmware to the latest posted on iLos web site (WMJA1191.D22 - dated 11/15/2004). It did fix some of my problems (audio sync and audio dropouts during recording), but this 1394 lockup problem has caused me to lose several 2 hour recordings.

Thanks for any help...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know this won't be much help to you, but I'm currently researching DVD recorders. This problem is listed in several of the comments for this model player. Per the comments, this happens only when you let the DV cam reach the end.

Apparently, it is a well known problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your reply tekkieman, I had searched several threads, but did not come across my exact problem. Do you know if a firmware fix for this problem has been promised to anyone? I called the ilohelp support number and was told that my problem would be "elevated" to the next level of support and I should here back from them (that was a few days ago and no answer yet). Neither of the two support reps I spoke with sounded like they new the unit very well. There answer was that the latest firmware should fix everything? They could not even tell me how to determine what version of the firmware I have.

On the plus side, I am using the S-Video input and the quality looks great .. much better than previous captures I had done on my computer using Creatives old Digital Video Blaster card. In fact I can not really tell any difference between the DV input versus the S-Video input. Just my gut feeling tells me that the DV input should be cleaner than going analog out of the camcorder and then re-digitizing in the DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of comments I've read suggest using the SVID input will provide just as good a capture and get around the locking issue going through the DV port. As for the firmware, I don't know how to find your current version or what is fixed in the current version. I've just DL'ed the newest version for the DVDR04 which I won't even have in my possesion until tomorrow. I will try to find the post describing how to find your firmware version through the setup screen.

I am still trying to figure out if this unit really does play DivX/XviD or not. Both the iLo site and the online manual for the R04 (non-HD version) do not state it, but the reviews on this site do. Have you tried DivX/XviD on yours? I've also wondered if the R04 could be converted to an RHD04 by adding the HD and updating the firmware. I don't really need HD capability, just wondered.

If I find any info on firmware for the DV problem, I'll post back to this thread and PM you.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try here
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=9fc98c3f81dd29a32b3f363baaeebc91

Lots of Ilo information and fixes. A new firmware is due out next week, it may help.
    Quote Quote