VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Have you bought a dual/double layer DVD Writer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Still using my old good nec.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Nope...for now and for what I tend to use the writer for, 4.38GB is usually enough for me.

I now have a DVD recorder and a DVD burner though 8)

Will give dual layer more thought when prices come down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Nope - waiting for price drops.

Bought my brother in law one for christmas though. I'm waiting to hear how it goes for him

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No tgpo option this time??

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have 2 16x DL burners and 2 8x -/+ burners

so i got 4 burners

now i got the 2 DL ones to have the newer DL format when they come down in price
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What about "nope, waiting for the media price to come down"?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Still waiting for DVD-R DL to come out. And for media prices for DL to drop, and the bugs to get ironed out. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Cost of the drive is cheap. Paid less than half of what I paid for my 4x a year ago. Still haven't bought any media for it though. Maybe this week.

Funny that there's only 2 yesses so for in responses, but the yesses are way ahead in the poll.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Absolutely. My NEC 3500 burns much better than the SL burners, as does the Pioneer 108. I doubt I will ever use it for DL media though.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I'm waiting for media prices to fall.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Surely the question is "Do you use double layer media?".

I have a dual layer burner, and I'd like to use the dual layer funtion, but I'm not going to until the price of the media comes down.
    What does anyone want, but to be a little more free?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Pioneer 108, but I only use Single Layer DVD-R. Prodisc and TY, mostly..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Waiting for cheaper DL prices, and waiting for the bugs in them(if any to get worked out). Read stuff about layer break issues and such.
    It'll be like night and day for backing up stuff. No more shrinking, or maybe put 2 DVD's on 1 DL.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Why are there only 2 manufacturers of DL media??? (Ritek,Verbatim) That's why the prices are so high, no competition.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reasons to not get +DL:

Bad DVD-Video player compatibility.
    Expensive blanks.
    Few media choices.
    DVD+R only.
    Poor software support.
    Inconsistant hardware.
    Longevity is suspect compared to single layer.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, waiting for cheaper dl media.
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes - It was only $50
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Reasons to not get +DL:

Bad DVD-Video player compatibility.
    Expensive blanks.
    Few media choices.
    DVD+R only.
    Poor software support.
    Inconsistant hardware.
    Longevity is suspect compared to single layer.
    With the exception of this....

Inconsistant hardware.
    ...on which I would like to hear some clarification, all the other reasons stated are reasons to not get DL media, not reasons to not get a DL capable drive. Almost all new drives now are DL capable by default. So if you need a new drive, why not? You get 8x, 12x, 16x, and DL (whether you use it or not), and if you hit the sales right, $40-50 is a good price.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Define "bought"

I exchanged a failed BTC unit for a Sony DRU-710A (made by Lite-On) and so far so good. I burned the included dual layer blank as a test. It worked but at $10 vs 2x 40 cents, I fail to see the point of buying more blank dual layer media until prices come down.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    ... I fail to see the point of buying more blank dual layer media until prices come down.
    I would say it depends on your project. There may be times it calls for one disc...period. So do you ruin quality to make it fit on a 4.7, or bite the cost and get the 8.5? Why did people buy the 4.7 at $6-10 instead of using CDs at 7 X $.05?
    Quote Quote  
  21. i am waiting for the prices to drop on media and also waiting for -dl media and a burner that can burn both +dl and -dl media. i heard the ones out now should be able to with firmware updates. for somereason i think i will have a long wait for all that happen..........
    How Big A Boy Are Ya?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Absolutely.........for $40, you can't go wrong. I doubt I'll ever burn Dual-layer media with it, but it's nice to know I can.

Mine is a BTC and I've had nothing but perfect burns with everything I through into it so far.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought from Office Depot (2) I/O MAGIC drives which are rebadged BENQ 1620 DUAL LAYER 16X burners. I paid $86.00 total for both drives after having Office Depot price match compusa & circuit city plus the mail in rebates.

The drive is great and reasonably priced compared to other DUAL LAYER burners. I purchased the drive because of the great reviews that cdfreaks and cdrlabs posted on their websites. I didn't purchase this drive for DUAL LAYER burning capability. DL media is still too expensive for me.

It is indeed a better reader than other brands although I use my dvd roms to rip but for some discs that have have problems reading the BENQ 1620 saves the day! It burns flawlessly 8x TY, MAXELL & SONY DVD -/+ media. BENQ has frequent firmwares for their drives to make newer media compatible. I was surprised to see that it burned DVD-R quite well since it's known to burn DVD+R better. All in all I like the drives and am very satisfied with them.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yes!

Pioneer DVR-A08XL

Reg. $129 ($13 instant credit at BestBuy + $10 mail-in rebate + $30 mail-in reabte)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep - But mostly coz of the write speed - and I didn't realise that only +R DL was out there at the moment.

Still learning...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yep!

NEC 3500AG, but have not used DL media yet and doubt that I will in the near future
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If my NEC goes then I would buy a d/l but would burn all the 4+ gig discs on hand. The drives are cheap but it would take a big drop in $ of media to be worthwhile. My next planned upgrade is to the hd or blueray format but I fear that for video use we may be screwed in backing up any hd original material because of new encryption schemes. So unless it's broken it may only be used for data, unprotected tv caps and to recreate my older format dvd's. We'll have to see how prices and the rest goes
    Quote Quote  
  28. Have a 108 DL but got it for the 16x mostly.

Oh DV mag for Feb 05 had an article on DL media. Results we not that good. They took it to a real testing house used by Hollywood studios. Test was simple. Play menu, read Layer 0, read layer 1.

Using 246 consumer machines and 7 disk the result was around 70% WONT play these things.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well, yes and no. Technically I bought a single layer GSA-4040b. But it broke before warranty ended, and they sent me a dual layer 4120b free of charge
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.

Have no interest in dual layer until the blank media costs around 40p each (or around that price).
    Quote Quote