VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Have you bought a dual/double layer DVD Writer?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. No.

I used to split to two DVD-R's, now I convert to XviD with AutoGK for single disk option. (Use PC to play back)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm waiting for the price of the media to come down. I'm also waiting for a drive that can do both + and -DL. When the heck are the -R DL writers coming out anyway? I've been searching a few forums and Google and haven't found any information yet.

Thanks.

Mythos
    Quote Quote  
  3. Got one today, a Nec 3500a under another name; but with 50 free fuji dvds, cost after rebate: $29.95 plus shipping
    Shipping was about $10.00 I figured thats like buying 50 dvds & getting a free Nec 3500

It should be on the main page at pcconnection.com
    Its a Kanguru Solutions dvd 16 DL writer. Rebates are on the same page as the products.

Update: I got mine in 24 hours with the cheap shipping option. Its a Nec 3500A, comes with lots of software, powerdvd, Nero Suite OEM, some cddvdmaker I haven't tried yet. Manf date Oct 2004, firmware 2.16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I hope the -DL work better than the +DL.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes but not because I needed it, only because the Pioneer DVR-108 just happened to be the fastest, quietest and cheapest drive available at the time of purchase. A$ 104.00 couldn't be beat at the time.

The fact it burns any format you care to throw at it and most of them at 16x speed as well is just a bonus. Haven't tried a DVD+R9 disc yet as they're ridiculously expensive @ ~A$ 11ea. but it can do them.

I have no problems with - or + format. I don't care which one I use. All my players recognise both without a second glance. I just buy whichever media is the cheaper on the day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes,
    got 2 NEC 3500A - but only for the 16x speed burning + havent found any DL media to try yet (but not in a hurry 2 either!)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since my A07 is still happily burning discs, I see no real need to buy a newer drive at this time. (Sure, I could shave a few minutes off the burn time with an A08 and some 8X media, but let's face it, at this point in the game the few extra minutes of burn time are hardly significant compared to the amount of time it takes to capture and encode to MPEG-2, especially when applying filters to clean up dodgy analog source!)

I probably won't feel compelled to trade up to a dual-layer burner until the A07 gives out, and/or until they get the compatibility rate of DL media up to something a hell of a lot better than it is now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tekkieman
    With the exception of this....

Inconsistant hardware.
    ...on which I would like to hear some clarification, all the other reasons stated are reasons to not get DL media, not reasons to not get a DL capable drive. Almost all new drives now are DL capable by default. So if you need a new drive, why not? You get 8x, 12x, 16x, and DL (whether you use it or not), and if you hit the sales right, $40-50 is a good price.
    Almost ALL recent complaints about media are due to firmware of new burners. It's just not consistent, not like it used to be.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by tekkieman
    With the exception of this....

Inconsistant hardware.
    ...on which I would like to hear some clarification, all the other reasons stated are reasons to not get DL media, not reasons to not get a DL capable drive. Almost all new drives now are DL capable by default. So if you need a new drive, why not? You get 8x, 12x, 16x, and DL (whether you use it or not), and if you hit the sales right, $40-50 is a good price.
    Almost ALL recent complaints about media are due to firmware of new burners. It's just not consistent, not like it used to be.
    Thanks for the clarification. I saw hardware and it made me wonder. Firmware I can certainly see as a cause for inconsistency. With all the different vendors, and all the different speeds, keeping up with the changes to firmware could be a daunting task. I know in the firmware for my BenQ, they are dropping support for all 2X media to make room for all the new media. Too bad, I still have about 10 2X TDKs to polish off. I may do those in the old NEC-1300.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just did, and the only reason was it's replacing my failing DVD-ROM. Got it for $45 so it was worth it
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I just bought a sony DRU-710A Dl writer for $130 at OfficeMax with a $30 rebate
    PEACE OUT TO ALL MY HOMIES
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got one for Christmas. It's very sweet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Nope. Still using my old good nec.
    Ditto. And it'll probably be another NEC when my 1300 craps out.

Mats
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ditto. And it'll probably be another NEC when my 1300 craps out.
    YEP! me too.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got one, but did not buy it. Got a DRU710A under extended warranty to replace my DRU500A (strange that it failed the exact same day the DRU710A came out at that store).
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm thinking about picking up the NEC3520A after the firmware is released to allow DVD-R DL. I may pick it up ahead of time in case it becomes hard to find. Any word on a Pioneer writer doing DVD-R DL?

Mythos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm waiting for DL -R and cheaper media. The drives are cheap though, but I don't really need the faster burns, I can deal with 4x for a while longer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mythos2002
    I'm thinking about picking up the NEC3520A after the firmware is released to allow DVD-R DL. I may pick it up ahead of time in case it becomes hard to find. Any word on a Pioneer writer doing DVD-R DL?

Mythos
    I thought about getting this drive, but I'm not sure how well the -R DL standard is established yet. The NEC, so far, is the only -R DL drive.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have a BenQ dual layer burner, didn't buy it because it was dual layer but simply because the price was good. Haven't done any dual layer discs as of yet, way to expensive
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My CDRW is going to retire. I bought a Lite-On 451s (unaware with the models) that has hacked DL firmware didn't test it yet coz there's no media around. I'm asking my relatives in the US to buy me some DL media in order to test it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the NEC3520 and it has dual layer support for + and for - when media arrives, but I haven't even thought about plunking down $7-15 dollars for one peice of blank media.

DL media prices are insane.

I bought the 3520 for a step up in speed I didn't care about DL at all. I would have bought it just as fast even if it didn't have any DL features.

That should have been one of the answers

"Yep, but I haven't used the DL features."
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought the Pioneer 109. Right now I don't anticapte using +R or +R DL. I bought it primarily for the improved speed over my 105. But the DL will be there if I should change my mind for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will continue to happily use my Optorite 4x burner until it disintegrates.

If it were up to me, my Optorite would last forever and I would use it forever.

I recently bought a new AOpen (Ricoh) 16x+R and DL burner for my girlfriend. She will most likely only use it for 8x DVD-Rs... and DL burning? Forget about it! DL is dead.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ordered new nec 3520ab but NOT for DL but for 16x write for $65 us at newegg.com
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, but flashed my Nec 2500 to 2510.
    Quote Quote  
  26. My GSA-4082B died out of warranty, so I replaced it with a Pioneer 109 from NewEgg. Haven't burned any DL discs yet, though (they're still too expensive).
    Quote Quote  
  27. Got myself a Lite-On SOHW-1673S 16x DVD+-RW for $89 Australian.

Mainly coz I was sick of the slow speed of my old Pioneer 106D on rewritable media, and its unlocked rip speed (up to 8X DVD ripping - yah - gotta luv the Chinese!)

At this stage I am basically using it only for rewritable media, I still have 200 odd 4X DVDr- el cheapo's that it does not like, so I am happily still using the pioneer to use them all up. I will probably continue using the el cheapo's until such time as 8x or faster media is as cheap.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, and guess what... it does both plus-DL and minus-DL

but i have no DL compatible software so i'm a bit stuffed.
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ya its because my dvd came DL compatible although iv never burned a DL disk
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As soon as cheap media are available I might actually use it that way.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote