VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Too bad DVD Shrink have not yet resolved this issue.
    "Half empty or half full, it's still only half a glass" - What Dave Says

Search Comp PM
    There are people claiming that they used an older version of Shrink to rip this.

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1. Who cares if DVD Shrink has resolved this or not? Boo hoo, you have to run DVD Decrypter first! I usually run it anyway, since Shrink runs faster/better from a HDD image than it does from the original DVD anyway.

2. The new DVD Decrypter wasn't specifically in response to Resident Evil as much as to the spreading use of ArcCos protection. Last fall ArcCos and variants thereof started showing up in limited quantities in certain Region 2 releases, and the various authors of ripping programs began working on it. It's taken them a while, and thankfully DVD Decrypter got it right just in time for the Region 1 debut of this protection scheme.

3. To JPowers: If you want it to fit WITHOUT ANY COMPRESSION AT ALL, just deselect the fullscreen (or the widescreen if you're one of those "I like fullscreen better" weirdos) version - or in DVD Shrink, set it to Still Image. Then the entire movie fits on a blank media without shrinking at all. The extras disc, likewise, is 3.5GB.

- Gurm

4. Originally Posted by Gurm
    1. Who cares if DVD Shrink has resolved this or not? Boo hoo, you have to run DVD Decrypter first! I usually run it anyway, since Shrink runs faster/better from a HDD image than it does from the original DVD anyway.

- Gurm
    Apparently, I do. I just want to put a disc, and let DVD Shrink do everything from beginning to end (burning the disc). Unlike some members here, I do have other things to do rather than

1. Open DVD Decrypter
    2. Do something else
    3. Go back to close DVD Decrypter and open DVD Shrink
    4. Do something else
    5. Go back to grab the result.

If I can skip task 1 and 2, I'd rather do that.

If you have too much time in your hand, that's fine, but don't expect everybody have too much time just like you.

5. Originally Posted by doppletwo
    There are people claiming that they used an older version of Shrink to rip this.
    I have several versions of DVD Shrink still installed (about 5 of them), none of them works.

Search Comp PM
    I didn't test their theories.

I am guilty of passing on a rumor sorry about that.
    snappy phrase

I don't know what you're talking about.

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, I do. I just want to put a disc, and let DVD Shrink do everything from beginning to end (burning the disc). Unlike some members here, I do have other things to do rather than

1. Open DVD Decrypter
    2. Do something else
    3. Go back to close DVD Decrypter and open DVD Shrink
    4. Do something else
    5. Go back to grab the result.

If I can skip task 1 and 2, I'd rather do that.

If you have too much time in your hand, that's fine, but don't expect everybody have too much time just like you.
    *sigh*

Ok, let me repeat myself - it's FASTER to use Decrypter and then Shrink. It just involves two extra clicks. You may PREFER to not have to come back, and that's your personal preference. However, you must in that case be extremely patient - the author of DVD Shrink is very busy, works for Nero, and does DVD Shrink in his spare time.

So you have two options:

1. Use Decrypter and Shrink, and quit whining, until such time as Shrink is updated to deal with ArCCos.

2. Be a whiner and don't make any copies of ArCCos discs until that time.

Let's face it - there are EXACTLY TWO region 1 discs with this protection on them right now. TWO. Holy Bats**t, Batman! You might have to do two extra clicks for "Little Black Book"! Mein Gott In Himmel!

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. But let's face it - you're making a big deal about nothing. It's a temporary thing, and it's two clicks. Just cope until an update happens.

8. [quote=Gurm]
    Originally Posted by A Whiny B***h
    Yeah, I'm being sarcastic. But let's face it - you're making a big deal about nothing. It's a temporary thing, and it's two clicks. Just cope until an update happens.
    Hey @$$hole! If you read my other posts, the problem is not because I want to back up my DVD, the problem is because I HAVE TO back up my DVD because none of my DVD standalone players can play the WS version directly from the original.

I've purchased the DVD and even after 3 times replacing it (wasting more than 1 hour) I have to make a backup in order to watch the damn ******* thing, and now I have to spend another 10 minutes because I have to use another program.

It's no big deal to you? that's fine, but don't shove your point of view down my throat.

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wow!

Such anger!

And it's not 10 minutes. The amount of time you spend decrypting with dvd decrypter TAKES AWAY FROM the amount of time Shrink would spend doing it. Add to that the fact that Shrink runs FASTER when accessing a drive image and the amount of time is about the same either way.

The issue here is the two extra mouse clicks - and frankly you're only doing this ONCE. You've wasted more time telling me how much time you're wasting than you would have spent running decrypter.

I could see your argument if this was something you had to do ALL THE TIME. But it's not. It's something you have to do EXACTLY ONCE - to watch "Little Black Book".

Just once. That's it. You're spending time getting mad, calling me names, and ranting... over a SINGLE INSTANCE of two extra clicks. How petty can you be?

10. Can't we all just get along

11. I downloaded the trialversion of AnyDvd. Let it run in the background and opened up DVD Shrink. Copy RE2 with no problems. AnyDvd is a trial for 30 days, but hopefully by the time that expires all of the freeware programs will be updated to handle this new encryption (ie. bad sectors!).

12. Little Black Book isn't even worth backing up, it sucked!

13. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    exactly dvdguy4, chill out people

the topic is regarding Resident Evil and the next person who posts any shit towards another member has me to deal with!

I'm sick of this shit in this forum and I'm going kick ass (in a nice way within the rules) no matter who it is

anyone who disagrees with me then feel free to post here

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252851

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrswla
    I downloaded the trialversion of AnyDvd. Let the run in the background and opened up DVD Shrink. Copy RE2 with no problems. AnyDvd is a trial for 30 days, but hopefully by the time that expires all of the freeware programs will be updated to handle this new encryption (ie. bad sectors!).
    Now there's a plan!

(And it actually is FASTER than letting Shrink do the decrypting.)

(Although not much - Shrink just seems to run inefficiently when it has to access an actual DVD in an actual DVD drive.)

15. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @Gurm, technically you are right in what you said about ripping first then processing after being faster but only depending on the PC setup

it may be faster on your PC setup but that doesn't mean it's the same for everyone as I can think of PC setups where it wouldn't be faster

@mrswla, yeah ANYDVD is real handy and saves all the hassles. I'm sure it will be updated each time a new problem DVD comes out

16. tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Mac,

I know that it isn't true on ALL machines. But on MOST relatively modern machines it's true. The bottleneck is the seek time of the DVD drive, and for whatever reason the way that DVD Shrink accesses the drive causes major slowdowns. Ripping first guarantees that it's read sequentially as fast as possible, and then the seek times inside the resulting ISO are inconsequential in comparison - most modern hard drives seek between 5-10ms average, as compared to several hundred for a DVD drive that then has to spin back up to get past 1x.

And that's the real problem - that a random seek to a different part of the DVD makes the drive spin back down to 1x, so a lot of random seeks pretty much cuts the read speed down exponentially - my Liteon probably rips at 5x "on average" with dual-layer discs. So for me, Shrink's algorithms cause it to work at only 20% of optimum speed, MINUS the seek times.

For people who have faster ripping drives, like Toshiba, you're looking at a HUGE disparity, since those drives can sometimes rip at 10x or more average! Then it's 10% optimal MINUS seek times. It's obscenely slower. Save a click, add 15 minutes? Seems silly to me.

18. Originally Posted by Gurm
    Mac,
    It's obscenely slower. Save a click, add 15 minutes? Seems silly to me.
    Well, I tried your suggestion with the following movies:

Shadow of the Vampire
    Law and Order SVU Premiere Episode
    Edward Scissorhands 10th Anniv. Ed.
    Dickie Roberts Former Child Star
    Bookie$

and I compared it using DVD Shrink alone.

Surprise surprise...

on EVERY disc, I ended spending anywhere between 1 minute to 6 minutes MORE.

I use LiteOn DVD reader and WD 7200 rpm 8Mb buffer 160 Gb HDD

19. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the feedback sapiendupt but it can also be faster ripping first then shrinking afterwards. I say this as I have 5 physical Hard Drives and 2 DVDROM's on my PC. I know that using a combination of one HD and one DVDROM to process direct could be slower or faster depending on which HD and DVDROM I choose

there simply is no fastest method that works on every PC in the world . As I mentioned it all depends on your setup and methods. Gurm is also correct in what he says also so I hope you can accept mine and his info and please don't drag this on further

let's just say that sometimes there can be 2 answers to one question 8)

20. Thanks. I didn't know that. The only reason that made me upset is when he started calling me "Whiny Bitch" and being so adamant that his method is the one and only correct AND faster method.

I thought I was wrong and tested his method anyway. Quite unfortunately, he was wrong (I really was hoping that his method will make it faster, though)

Cheers

21. Retired from video stuff MackemX's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, it's all water under the bridge now as nobody was 100% correct (apart from me because I said both methods were faster ). It's pleasing to see you accept what I said 8)

cheers

Search PM
    @MackemX:
    I'm having mental block ATM, for I can't figure out situations when ripping to the hard drive first isn't the quickest method ?

The difference in transfer rates between optical and hard drives tells me that a hard drive will (in theory) be able to supply the data to DVDShrink at a faster rate than if you go from a disc. Also, when DVDshrink is used with no compression (so basically just ripping), it's ripping speed always seems to be lower than that of DVDDecrypter or smartripper. So it would appear to me that ripping with a different program is quicker than ripping with DVDShrink, and then the actual shrinking process is quicker when fed from the hard drive. So if both individual process are quicker in their own right, then surely overall this must be quicker ?

So you can see my confusion ...
    If in doubt, Google it.

23. Locked. OP Solution found.