VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm wanting to purchase some software and I'd like your opinions. I want to purchase something VERY easy for my father-in-law who just purchased a new camera. He simply wants to take his video both from his camcorder, and from VHS tapes routed through his camcorder (thus converting it to Digital) to the computer. From there he wants to convert it to DVD. That's it, no editing, changing, cutting, etc. First we want to just get it playable on DVD.

Can anyone recommend to me some software to do this (must be simple... I'm thinking Pinnacle, MGI, etc., whoever has the easiest stuff)? Thank you so much!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why does it have to go to the computer then, why wouldn't a DVD stand alone recorder work for him? It would save many steps.

One of these:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders
    Quote Quote  
  3. Good question. He first wants to get it onto DVD, but after he's done and feels "safe" that all of his old Analog tapes are safely stored and aren't losing quality by just sitting there , he wants to go back and edit, mess with, etc. So I was hoping for something that would do all of that.

Thx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead DVD movie factory, then after a few months and for more flexibility, Ulead videostudio. Both available as trials on Ulead's website. I did exactly this with my father-in-law, and he now upgraded all the way to Vegas Video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it has to go to the computer, make sure there is adequate disk space. Best if you capture and assign buffers to a different drive from the OS.

I would agree that ULead DVD Movie Factory would get good results, just test the settings and write down the steps for him. It will take hours per hour that way.

Avoid Pinnacle, too buggy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks for the advice again, esp. about staying away from Pinnacle. I'll go find Ulead and try it out and if it works for him we'll buy it.

One last thing. Someone else recommended to me Intervideo's DVD Creator. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I never used it.
    Quote Quote