VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Was trying to backup a DVD movie that has both widescreen & fullscreen versions on the same side and it stopped anaylsing at 14%. Used preview and saw it was right where the movie's mauel asking whether the viewer wanted to watch the widescreen or fullscreen version.

Checked the disc and there's no visible scratches / damages. Used DVDDecryptor and it reads find (a 8.5+ G disc). So what gives?

Searched the forums and found somone said try "DVDreMake" but I can't afford to purchase it just for this one movie.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I'm a nobody, and nobody's perfect...so I'm perfect!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Byronleehk, try ripping it with DVD Decrypter first. If that dosnt work, re-author the movie. Chances are with both versions, it dosnt have many (if any) extra's, or special features, and the menu's will probably be simplistic. What I recomend doing under re-authoring is, just choose one of the titles under Main Menu, and move it over to the left, then rip just that...You should be able to just back it up directly, many times without any compression at all. It will retain all chapter information etc and everything, so it'll play somewhat like putting in a VHS tape, except with the convienance of chapters..(and quality, of course.)

Seth
    :star: :star: :star: :star:
    Archived DVD Scans

Nero V ImgTools V Decrypter
    :star: :star: :star: :star:
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Fandim
    Byronleehk, try ripping it with DVD Decrypter first. If that dosnt work, re-author the movie. Chances are with both versions, it dosnt have many (if any) extra's, or special features, and the menu's will probably be simplistic. What I recomend doing under re-authoring is, just choose one of the titles under Main Menu, and move it over to the left, then rip just that...You should be able to just back it up directly, many times without any compression at all. It will retain all chapter information etc and everything, so it'll play somewhat like putting in a VHS tape, except with the convienance of chapters..(and quality, of course.)

Seth
    I've never had a problem backing up these types of disc with this method.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Seth,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So after I rip it with DVDdecrypter how do I get DVDshrink to work on that? Just open it up as a file in Shrink and do the analysing procedure?

Thanks again...
    Quote Quote  
  5. DVDDecrypter has a more robust ripping engine. For example, it will retry (up to 20 times be default) when it encounters a sector that can't be read. It's not at all surprising that DVDDecrypter can sometimes rip a DVD that Shrink cannot.

I suspect you have a DVD with a minor pressing flaw. The flaw just happens to be where the aspect ratio menu is - it's pure coincidence.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes, you can open up the files from your hard drive in shrink and then go from there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yup, I would rip in file mode in decrypter then open file in shrink, preview the 2 movie titles to see which is which, add to preferred to dvd project, then backup. Or, skip decrypter, open disc in shrink, preview the 2 movie titles to see which is which, add preferred to dvd project, then backup.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, open files, then select the directory where the vob and ifo files are located. Make sure you rip all files, it's just easier that way.

Alternatively, rip to ISO image with Decrypter, then choose File/Open Disk Image in Shrink.

[edit]Oops! Too many cooks in the kitchen.[/edit]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by skebenin
    Yes, open files, then select the directory where the vob and ifo files are located. Make sure you rip all files, it's just easier that way.

Alternatively, rip to ISO image with Decrypter, then choose File/Open Disk Image in Shrink.
    What's the diff, any advantages/disadvantages?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Difference between all files and not, or between all files and ISO mode?

You want to rip all files because Shrink will complain if anything is missing (well, unless you use re-author in a specific way, but let's not confuse the issue right now).

ISO mode is just an alternative that you may find cleaner. Rather than dumping a series of files on your hard drive, it creates one ISO file, which is a complete image of the entire disk (minus CSS encryption). You avoid all possibility of missing a file that way.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by skebenin
    Difference between all files and not, or between all files and ISO mode?

You want to rip all files because Shrink will complain if anything is missing (well, unless you use re-author in a specific way, but let's not confuse the issue right now).

ISO mode is just an alternative that you may find cleaner. Rather than dumping a series of files on your hard drive, it creates one ISO file, which is a complete image of the entire disk (minus CSS encryption). You avoid all possibility of missing a file that way.
    Yes, diff between all files and iso mode. I simply have not opened an iso with shrink, so was just curious, thx.
    Quote Quote  
  12. THANK YOU GUYS...will try and report back!

BTW...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL

Quote Quote  
  13. OK, tried several methods with 2 DVD burners and still NO GO

Must be like Skebenin said "I suspect you have a DVD with a minor pressing flaw. The flaw just happens to be where the aspect ratio menu is - it's pure coincidence."
    Quote Quote