VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok i could be totally off but from browsing through this board, the general consensus seems to be that the best recorders are models by Panasonic, JVC, Pioneer and perhaps Toshiba. These companies all happen to be -R recorders. I'm wondering why this is. Is it just coincidental or is there something about -R recorders that gives them an advantage over their +R counterparts?

Are there any +R recorders that would qualify at the same level of these top -R models?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Coincidence, mainly.
    Some of it has to do with DVD+VR requirements.

I would drop Panasonic from the "good" list
    and add LiteOn to it instead
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. hey SCDave, I'll throw in a vote for the sony recorders..been *very* happy w/ mine
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Drop JVC and keep Panasonic. Way too many people having problems with JVC. I can't believe anyone could still be recommending them with all the problems they have, this on a machine that isn't even one year old yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own two Pioneer machines (DVR 210S & DVR 420H-s), and both are flawless. Both use DVD-R/RW discs. Both can use the RW discs in VR mode for editing on the disc. The best feature by far is the manual bit-rate selection. That allows you to "fine tune" your recording for the best quality. Some people like the chase-play feature.

The 420H-s has a built in hard drive for storage and editing. Neither one has given me a single problem.

Be sure to buy quality discs: Tayio-Yuden, Fuji, Maxell, TDK, maybe Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have the Sony RDR-GX300 and I'm happy with it. I chose the Sony over any other DVR because of it's 12 bit/108MHz Video D/A converter. Does that make a difference in quality?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Panasonic, Pioneer & Sony all make very good recorders. While none of them are perfect, you can't go wrong by choosing one of them.

JVC is well known for it's problems. The worst choice is LiteOn or iLo....Absolute crap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've bought the Pioneer DVR510HS over a year ago and it's performed exactly as it is meant to. As a result, I've bought the DVR420HS (same as the 510 but without firewire) as an additional DVR.

I don't think the issue here is between + or -, rather the companies that have supported each of the formats over the years.

I nearly bought the Philips DVDR with HD, but was put off at the last minute by reports of problems with the clock/timer function with the DVDR (no HD) model.

I've got two friends who've bought Sony DVDRs and both are very happy.

In short, it has very little to do with + or - and everything to do with qualityof the machines the manufacturers make. Anyone can have a duff model or a bad day........
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have the Toshiba DR2 and love it. It has been working flawlessly since November.
    Quote Quote