FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Edmund Blackadder
    blah blah blah blah and blah
    Who put a stick up your ass?

Perhaps you just need your own pussycat to play with

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How quickly this became an Off-Topic type of "discussion".
    Yes, starting from the original post in Off Topic. Can't get any quicker than that. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Shadowmistress
    ...but you know how when you hover over a thread and a popup window displays the first part of the message? Is there any way to get it to stay open longer instead of closing withing 5 seconds?
    I'm still often using Windows 98SE while reading posts on Videohelp.com. The only slightly annoying solution I've found to make the popups stay as long as you like is to keep horizontally moving your mouse slightly over the link. What I mean is once you see the pointing finger instead of an arrow pointer, simply move it within a few pixels space horizontally from side to side.

This is of course a very lame solution and it's easy to accidentally shift the mouse up or down, but it works for me, since there's no other way around.
    I had the same question but never bothered to ask it.
    For the few times I need it, your solution works very well. Somehow it's something I knew but in practice just didn't connect the dots.
    Thanks for the simple but effective idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    ... really good advice...

- John "blah blah blah" Coleman
    Ahh, so now I got some "regulars" attention!
    Well, of course, I'll go play with my own pussycat when I get some free time.
    And you, I guess, can go and play with your favourite zombie . Or have a very good alternative: Off-Topic forum!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ... really good advice...

- John "blah blah blah" Coleman
    Ahh, so now I got some "regulars" attention!
    Well, of course, I'll go play with my own pussycat when I get some free time.
    And you, I guess, can go and play with your favourite zombie . Or have a very good alternative: Off-Topic forum!
    Please continue to sort out your differences via PMs and not by forum posts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    It is all in good fun now ... no need to get all big brother on us

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It is all in good fun now ... no need to get all big brother on us

8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Sir!

However, your request proves my point once again. Some members (including moderators) start drifting out of topic and get away with it, then somebody else comes in to contribute to the subject and also to complain about those who don't stay on topic, but for that gets slapped.

And when I initially registered with Videohelp and had my first big and serious thread going about DL recording and layer break, hardly any of these "regulars" contributed to it. It was normal and generally unknown members who made it really useful to everybody. So that shows quite a bit about willingness of the "elite" to help new or ordinary members...

This site is great, but I'm afraid it's heading in the wrong direction because of local self-proclaimed royalty.

Whatever...

Back to topic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So that shows quite a bit about willingness of the "elite" to help new or ordinary members...

This site is great, but I'm afraid it's heading in the wrong direction because of local self-proclaimed royalty.

Whatever
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Complaints belong in the "Report Problem Threads" forum. Here.

Glass houses...stones...
    Pot...kettle....
    etc., etc.

Ironic, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes Sir!

However, your request proves my point once again. Some members (including moderators) start drifting out of topic and get away with it, then somebody else comes in to contribute to the subject and also to complain about those who don't stay on topic, but for that gets slapped.

And when I initially registered with Videohelp and had my first big and serious thread going about DL recording and layer break, hardly any of these "regulars" contributed to it. It was normal and generally unknown members who made it really useful to everybody. So that shows quite a bit about willingness of the "elite" to help new or ordinary members...

Whatever...

Back to topic.
    Perceive it any way you like, but I'd say the same thing to anyone else who gets whiney instead of simply leaving the thread if they don't like it. I don't care how long, or short, you've been here.

An your argument shows me that you, too are copping an elitist attitude, insinuating that OT is worthless. And demanding that the topic stay strictly on-topic, in spite of the fact that the original poster's issue had been resolved.

And right after your first rant a few posts ago, who do I see in the OT forum? Yes. Edmund Blackadder.

My advice to you, if you don't have anything constructive to add, don't say anything. Or, like tekkieman said, report it in the reports thread. The downside is that it will no doubt be answered by elitist board royalty. Sucks, don't it? :P
    Quote Quote  
  12. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Blackadder I'm sorry you feel that way. I tried your solution but I couldn't get it to work right. I don't have the patience to count pixels. I tried moving the mouse continuously over the thread but that requires I keep my hand on the mouse which I'd prefer not to do. (To all the OT regulars: STFU.)

Baldrick answered my question that there was nothing he could do on his end and Goober57 offered inventive tweaking solutions, so as far as I was concerned the issue was resolved. I didn't ignore your post, I just didn't have anything to say about it.

In all fairness, I did start this thread in the Off Topic forum where it stayed visible with "MOVED" in it's header so that's probably why some have taken certain liberties with it. I don't mind. Perhaps I should have started an entirely new thread here, and in fact, that's what I'll do in the future. My faux pas.

I will disagree with you however that there is an "elitism" going on around here. I myself am a newb (look at my post count) and have found that everyone here will go out of their way to help and be jovial and friendly to everyone, regardless of any imaginary status.

I'm sorry that your previous thread got little attention from those you call "regulars" but that doesn't mean you were brushed off. There is a small number of regulars with a big job to do, covering each and every single post every day on this site. And just because your questions were answered by unknown members doesn't make their expertise any less valuable.
    It seems to me that you had a problem with how your particular thread was handled. You should have voiced your opinion there. Please don't bring your hostility to my thread.

And please don't take cheap shots at the zombie... I think he's sexy and I want him to stick around.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Thanks for your rant, which is off-topic for this topic. Feedback forum or Report This Post

I would class myself as a regular and I read that thread with great expectations and interest (and I think I posted words to that effect in there too). My reason for not contributing to the discussion was because I didn't have anything constructive to add to it, mainly because I'm not touching DL until the media is much more affordable, so therefore I have no practical experience with it. I think you'll find that almost all of the regulars aren't doing DL or know too much about it in a practical sense, so if they don't know anything about it, what do you expect them to say ?

PS. There's always Doom9
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shadowmistress - while you're here, I thought I'd let you know, that on two fairly identical machines, I have one that does the same as yours, and one that will stay up (I left it for 10 minutes) forever.

The difference between the two are that one is XP SP1 and the other SP2. The SP2 box stays forever. I see in your profile you use 98. I certainly wouldn't suggest upgrading your OS just for this, but I thought the observation was interesting at least.

Maybe some of the others who post in this thread might help confirm or obliterate this theory.
    Quote Quote  
  15. XP SP1 Pro, XP SP2 Pro ,XP SP2 Home , All stay for about 3 seconds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've got Win XP w/ SP2 and I only get them for 5 seconds
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Funny thing is....I know I had this up for over 10 minutes earlier. Now, it's back to 5 seconds. Damned if I can figure what the difference is. I did close my browser window for a while, so this is a different instance of the browser. Who knows!
    Quote Quote  
  18. If you Hold "ALT + Q" just as the box Pops up it will stay as long and you keep holding "ALT + Q"......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    blah blah blah blah and blah

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I would class myself as a regular and I read that thread with great expectations and interest (and I think I posted words to that effect in there too). My reason for not contributing to the discussion was because I didn't have anything constructive to add to it, mainly because I'm not touching DL until the media is much more affordable, so therefore I have no practical experience with it. I think you'll find that almost all of the regulars aren't doing DL or know too much about it in a practical sense, so if they don't know anything about it, what do you expect them to say ?
    jimmalenko, I wasn't angry at you, neither Lordsmirf, even though I disagree with a lot of things he says. You both participated in my other thread to some degree. As for some other regulars, there were plenty of other DL discussions, where many regulars were part of, but for some reason not in my thread that otherwise went forever with a great help from many other members.

I'm sorry that your previous thread got little attention from those you call "regulars" but that doesn't mean you were brushed off. There is a small number of regulars with a big job to do, covering each and every single post every day on this site. And just because your questions were answered by unknown members doesn't make their expertise any less valuable.
    I'm sorry Shadowmistress, maybe I didn't express myself clearly (after all, English is not my native language), but I did appreciate all the help that unknown and some regular members provided to me. It's just that I was surprised not to see any interest from majority of "regulars". Anyway, sorry for messing up your thread. Though, of course, as Capmaster mentioned not far above, the topic question has been answered already, so we can now talk about other things, wasn't that right?

And please don't take cheap shots at the zombie... I think he's sexy and I want him to stick around.
    Believe it or not, I own a "Zombie" DVD with that exact same face on the cover as FulciLives has, and it's a very amusing film. Of course it scared the sh*t out of me when I saw it as a kid back in Ukraine.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to bring this back to topic again, but guess what? That's right, the tooltip stays up indefinately again. So, I looked at what I'm doing right this second. I have one single instance of IE running, viewing this forum of course. I also have Music Match running, listening to streaming radio (80's hits if you want to know). Finally, I have Mahjong Master running. It's this last app that interests me, for two reasons. First, it is a full screen app that forces 800x600 for the full screen window. If I alt-tab to anything else, I'm in standard 1024x768. Second, it initializes DirectX.

Some of you may no longer care about this, but for those that like to solve mysteries, I believe this is an important clue. Now, back to SM's group hug....
    Quote Quote  
  23. @tekkieman

I see you cant get this off your mind..LOL...It's driving me crazy to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by canadateck
    If you Hold "ALT + Q" just as the box Pops up it will stay as long and you keep holding "ALT + Q"......
    Yes, that works, but the Windows 98SE keeps beeping the "ding" sound indefinitely, as long as you're holding down this key combination, or any other ALT + [insert any letter] combination for that matter. I still like it better to move the mouse slightly every few seconds horizontally over the link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shadowmistress wins my award for best newbie of all time.

There is absolutely no bias in that statement what-so-ever!

Quote Quote  
  26. Serene Savage Shadowmistress's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    [Applause. Shadowmistress steps to the podium. "I'd like to thank... oh never mind".]

Tekki, neither of those resolution settings are good for me since my video card can only handle 640x480. (Yeah, laugh it up). But I'm wondering now if it has something to do with the refresh settings. Maybe the majority of people getting the 5 second box are using windows default settings?

I have no clue what DirectX does, so have at it man.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Xp ProSP2 - 6 seconds

Resolution 800x600

Refresh Rate 90Hz

For the record Edmund Blackadder, I have never used DL.

I mainly help out in the computer forums, because that is my specialty.

There is no elitism.

We assist in areas where we know what we are doing.
    Quote Quote