VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. What is the advantage or use of bitsetting and changing booktype using a liteon drive with a +R disc?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the advantage or use of bitsetting and changing booktype
    I will only answer this part, When changing the booktype, the burnt dvd has become more compatible with standalone DVD players.

When I first heard about bitsetting, I didn't care about using it because my DVD player would play the regular +R without any problems. When I let my mother use 1 she could not play them on her DVD player, not until I set the booktype. Now all of my burnt DVD's are set
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    From what i've read bitsetting changes the booktype of dvd+r to dvd-rom. Supposed to make a disc more compatible with dvdplayers. Wish my plextor 504a supported it.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is changing the booktype (or bitsetting) done after the burn? I guess thats what the bookset utility is for on the liteon site?

So I burn the disc, then afterwards use the util to change the BITSET/BOOKTYPE to dvd-rom ?

(still confused - and I appreciate the help)
    Cuban Cigars, Women and Movies.... What a wonderful combination!... I have a web site, and I've seen it... HAVE YOU!?
    If you can read this, you do not need glasses
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No it is a setting checked before you burn. If you burn with nero I think there is a box that you can check that says " set booktype to dvd-rom" or something like that. You are supposed to be able to permantly set your drive to bitsetting by using dvdinfopro. I'm not speaking from experience as my dvd burner doesn't support it however what i have said is info i have gotten by doing a quick search on this forum!
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you have a LiteON drive, check their website, they provide some tools which allow you to change the booktype, provided:

1) Your drive supports setting booktype
    2) Your drive has a firmware with the ability to change the booktype enabled.

The booktype is set by the Recorder AT the time of the burn, it can not be changed once the disc is recorded.

I have included a pic of NERO 6.3.1.25 booktype option. Choose from the menu - Recorder -> Choose Recorder - and this window pops up.

The drop box in the lower left corner allows you to set the booktype (when a drive supports changing the booktype) to DVD-ROM, +R, etc.

Head over to http://club.cdfreaks.com (CDFreaks Forums) and run some searches. There is a wealth of info about bitsetting booktypes.

As an added note, I have never heard of an instance where setting the booktype to DVD-ROM has had an adverse effect.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Obviously something is different or wrong. I do not have that BOOKTYPE setting pull down in Nero 6.6.0.1 and I just updated to 6.6.0.3, still no pull down.

I'm using a 812S flashed to a 832S. I "THINK" the drive supports bit setting? I DUNNO
    Cuban Cigars, Women and Movies.... What a wonderful combination!... I have a web site, and I've seen it... HAVE YOU!?
    Quote Quote  
  8. What is the diff between bitsetting and booktype?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think they are the same... well that is to say you have to SET A BIT on the disc to change the BOOKTYPE from +R to -ROM... hence the term BITSETTING. (at least, I think anyway)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by HatchetMan
    What is the diff between bitsetting and booktype?
    Nothing.
    Bitsetting is how you set the drive,booktype is what the disc has.
    Quote Quote  
  11. For what its worth, I just upgraded my 812S to CG3E firmware for 832S, and still do not have the booktype menu, nor can I change the bitsetting option to -ROM in dvdinfo pro or booktype util from liteon. ?????
    Quote Quote  
  12. How can I verify if the bit setting is working or not? ie: on an already burned +R disc?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Pop the disc in and check Disc Settings:

Quote Quote  
  14. Question: do you bitset the blank BEFORE burning the video files? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by noki
    Question: do you bitset the blank BEFORE burning the video files? thanks.
    DVD+R=before
    DVD+RW=before or after
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have an impression that some DVD players were built to refuse
    to play +R disks based on book type. Which artificially
    create some compatibility problem for +R. why? Just try to make
    +R looks bad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Noki: You make the setting before you burn the files, the actual change on the disc occurs at the time you burn the [entire] disc. You can not change the booktype on a +R disc that has already been recorded to.

In regards to Nero 6.6.0.x I have heard the setting was removed, I guess it is now in CD/DVD Speed.
    Some firmwares (The one I am using now for my NEC 3500A is Liggy's 2.18SE) automatically sets all +R discs to -ROM.

To see what a disc is, you can use a program like DVD Infopro, or DVD Identifier link.
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Why does the DVD spec include a booktype? When DVD players were first created what other booktypes were there?

If booktype is important for compatibility, why didn't the creators of DVD-R and +R make it part of their spec?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Technically there's only two types in the DVD specs,DVD-ROM and
    DVD-RAM.
    First generation DVD players only played DVD-ROM but manufacturers added support for DVD-R and DVD+R because of public demand.DVD-R has high compatibilty(compared to DVD+R) because it has a "quasi" DVD-ROM bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For the liteon dvd burners you can go to the liteon site and get a booktype setter program that will set your dvdwr to dvd-rom or go to cdrfreaks.com and get the dvdrw_omnipatcher that will patch your firmware to autobitsetting so you dont have to set it each time you reboot your computer.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xxiangg
    I have an impression that some DVD players were built to refuse
    to play +R disks based on book type. Which artificially
    create some compatibility problem for +R. why? Just try to make
    +R looks bad?
    No.

DVD players were made for DVD-ROM media. DVD-R most closely follows the spec so there are no real troubles. Many models starting in 2000-2001 were made to also look for the recordable version that was coming out at the time.

DVD+R is a rogue format. Their problems are self-created. DVD players were not made to look for some magical + media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. Skith
    thanks for the explanation. still using NERO 5.5.10.42. GUESS i CAN'T BITSet unless I upgrade to 6.x .
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noki
    Skith
    thanks for the explanation. still using NERO 5.5.10.42. GUESS i CAN'T BITSet unless I upgrade to 6.x .
    No, if you have a lite-on drive that supports bitsetting you can get the utility from the lite-on site to change it.

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/download_utility.htm
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Skith
    Your profile says you have a NEC 1300 drive in which case DVDINFOPro will set booktype for you.

edit: I forgot you need to have firmware that supports bitsetting for that drive. You used to be able to get it at http://herrie.org/ but that site has been down for a while. Not sure where to get it now
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kupton
    Skith
    Your profile says you have a NEC 1300 drive in which case DVDINFOPro will set booktype for you.
    Don't they have a utility for nec's ?? because everytime i tried changing it with DvdinfoPro on my lite-on it never worked ?? and i was told by many it would ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Don't they have a utility for nec's ?? because everytime i tried changing it with DvdinfoPro on my lite-on it never worked ?? and i was told by many it would ?
    I'm not sure. DVDinfopro works like a charm for me on my NEC1300.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    For the liteon dvd burners you can go to the liteon site and get a booktype setter program that will set your dvdwr to dvd-rom or go to cdrfreaks.com and get the dvdrw_omnipatcher that will patch your firmware to autobitsetting so you dont have to set it each time you reboot your computer.
    Where is that at ?? the "dvdrw_omnipatcher" ?
    When i go to cdfreaks.com all there is is a bunch of links to other sites & sponsors

Oop.... nevermind... i was putting in cdrfreaks
    I knew something was wrong because i have been there before
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lots of nec firmwares (be sure you get one that is ment for your specific model) at the following site:
    http://www.micheldeboer.nl/firmware/index.html
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  29. booktype is crap. i changed the booktype of my +RW's to dvd-rom and still 2 of my dvd-roms couldn't recognize it.
    Quote Quote