VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone used "That's" dvd-r's (yes, "that's" is the name)?
    It has a sub-name of sorts that says "shinety colors". These DVDs are manufactured in Japan but I wanted to see if anyone experienced them or knows about them, or heck even heard anything about them. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whee are you?
    They may be fake (NOT Japanese). That depends on where you live.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Whee are you?
    They may be fake (NOT Japanese). That depends on where you live.
    Use your IP button Smurfie Republic of Korea

Moving this to the Media forum ....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't "Thats" the retail brand of Taiyo Yuden?.. Definately good stuff - assuming they're not fakes of course.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're correct, That's is a TY brand: http://startlab.co.jp/
    Quote Quote  
  6. if you really want to know if they are real, you have to check the media code.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, I'm in Korea. How did you do that Capmaster?.. Kush I remember seeing the words "Taiyo Yuden" on the package and it looked authentic, so I'll pick one up this coming week. ** (By the way anyone, wouldn't just about any dvd made in Japan be great?)

Based on that url you provided jsl, here's a pic and link of them:

http://www.thatscd-r.jp/shop/goods/goods.asp?goods=4906915101299

Cake style, 10 discs for a decent price of about $11 US. The pack I saw was a greener color and they were 1 - 4x.

Cheers.

--> P.S. BTW I also had bought a single Maxell DVD-r at that same Wal-Mart and tried to use it to burn on my Cendyne (Pioneer) DVD-104 2x drive, and the burn failed in the first 2 minutes. (I also did that firmware update found at dvdhs.com). The pack said "Made in Japan." An info link and pic is below. Anyone can figure it out? Maybe my drive was too old? Thank you.

http://www.maxell.co.jp/e/dvdhs/e/index.html

(It's the DVD-r green one)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vdk_au
    if you really want to know if they are real, you have to check the media code.
    TY is now one of the more common fake media codes.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been wondering about this kind of lately. I'd like to buy some DVD-Rs in bulk, maybe even TY's (the Japanese ones), like 500 or 1000, but how can I tell if they are the Japanese or the Taiwanese make from an online seller?

Is there no way to tell, or do I have to hope they have the product code on the site?

A couple of the places I went said they were "made/manufactured in Japan", but after reading up at nomorecoasters.com I'm leary of just trusting a website.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Find out who is AUTHORIZED to carry Taiyo Yuden. That's always a sure-fire way to get real ones and no fakes.

Somebody like RIMA.com is also pretty reliable, authorized or not.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've never heard of anyone faking the brand name along with the media code. That's DVD is a safe bet for getting TY media.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can see how ordering from a reliable site is a must, but that still does not ensure I would get the Japanese-make TY, would it? And that is what I was trying to figure out how to ensure, that I got the Japanese not the Taiwanese versions.

"That's" may be TY, but are they automatically going to be the Japanese-make version of the discs?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hey folks, here's an update on those Taiyo Yudens. (pic posted up at middle page of this thread).

I went and bought two cakes of the "That's" Shinety Colors Taiyo Yuden, 10 discs each or 20 total. Did dvdinfo on a few and basic codes seemed to match. (TYG01). Bought them at a Wal-Mart store near Seoul. Packaging and all looks legit.

Well, things haven't been going too wonderfully. Burned about 16 so far. Almost all stuff I'm burning is regular video files playable in Windows Media Player.

Been burning up to about 4.3gb each disk (or roughly 4,300mb). However on this last one I just did I only put 3 files on there for a total of 3.5gb or 3500mb.

One piece of good news -- no coasters yet.

Well, on most of the disks I'm getting choppy loads, drive almost seems to not be reading the discs that well. However I am loading from my main DVR-104 rw drive so maybe I should try another, more modern dvd-rom drive. But anyways sometimes can't get thumbnail icons for the disc to show. It takes 30 to 45 seconds just for the comp to process and display what files are on the dvd disc.

Something else kinda strange. Some movie files play real crappy and WMP plays some movie files off the new dvd's horribly slow and skippy (not worth watching). However when I loaded a few of the movie files off of the freshly burned dvd with Video Lan Player (VLC) they once again played smoothly. So sometimes it seems Windows isn't reading the disk menu's well and sometimes it seemed WMP related.

Question: what is a good amount to burn onto a dvd? All the way up to or close to 4.5 gb, or how much less? On the last one I burned I thought only 3.5gb would have made it real smooth to read with over 1gb free space, however even when I load it up (and a few of the movies) still get some major "jigga jigga" sounds that can go on for :30 seconds or a minute at a time, and likewise basically same as the 4.3gb discs I burned.

Thanks for the read and would like to know what anyone thinks could be up. Also another question: do dvd-rw drives often do crappier loads, scans and plays than dvd-rom players? And what's a good amount to burn onto a dvd?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nathanaa
    I can see how ordering from a reliable site is a must, but that still does not ensure I would get the Japanese-make TY, would it? And that is what I was trying to figure out how to ensure, that I got the Japanese not the Taiwanese versions.

"That's" may be TY, but are they automatically going to be the Japanese-make version of the discs?
    The only genuine TY discs are made in Japan only. Anything made anywhere else carrying at TY media code is not true TY media.
    Quote Quote