VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Tipstir if had read end my reply it may have something to do with said about the 3rdparty Manufacturer or maybe be it something else.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope the 150 audio issues are rectified as I was just informed that the PVR-250 series has been discontinued. Luckily, I bought my 250 already and it has no audio issues.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SHS,

I am not against using your drivers, I just like sticking with the manufacturer stuff, but you might be right it's third-party MOBO with built-in video/audio causing the problem.

Single Audio/Video chipset for PVR-150
    Dual chips 1 for Audio and 1 for Video for PVR-250

My MOBO has built-in Video/Audio, I've disabled them and installed my own AGP and PCI audio. Maybe that's why I am running into the problems all of you are having.

SHS one question for you is where are you getting the drivers for PVR-150 and MVP 1000? Are you enhancing them or what?
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tipstir
    My MOBO has built-in Video/Audio, I've disabled them and installed my own AGP and PCI audio. Maybe that's why I am running into the problems all of you are having.
    That's doubtful. The audio distorion is in the MPEG stream that comes out of the PVR-150. So the distortion is happening inside the PVR-150.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have all ready said 1000's time before tipstir the drivers, apps, etc all come directly from Hauppauge Dev the only diff is I usely get them way before there even posted on Hauppauge web becuase some time they ask put to see how they do in min case they when go head post on there site after words.
    At one point in time the only thing I was doing was tweaking the PVR 250/350 INF abit for more compatible but now I don't have to that other then a few people which end up with PVR 250/350 with odd Hardware SubID which do not match OEM nor Retail Hardware SubID for some off wall reason.

junkmalle is on rigth the track it few audio feature that was turned on with in audio chip where some of us may need this turn off but there no registry setting to disable it.
    In my case the Audio Line input extreme loud sounds are brought down and quiets sounds are brought up or just overdriving depend on the show but if was to use the Tuner it sound normal like it should be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Junkmalle,

I only reported from what I've heard other PVR-150 with those problems figure it's the hardware in the system, but for me the audio input on the PVR-150 when I pipe media sound into it the sound is normal (level)

Can I ask you when did you purchase your PVR-150 card and also SHS. Did you two pick them up right after they were released? Which remote was in the box also?

SHS,

Okay so you get the drivers from the source, and there nothing special about them from your site.
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 500MCE it dosen't come with a remote and my card come directly from Hauppauge
    Let not forget there other place like ASForum, SageTV, BeyondTV, GR-PVR and min other even news group which count my email
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sent my PVR-150 back to Hauppauge for evaluation of the loud recorded volume on Friday of last week. Not long after removing it from my system I began to have some audio issues. After 2-3 hours of messing around I ended up with my Soundblaster Audigy sound card removed and using the on board AC97 audio. I was not really even aware I had onboard audio until this happened.

I report this because there is a reasonable chance that the loud recorded audio problem I have with the PVR-150 may be related to the hidden on board audio. It may have been getting its audio volume from the AC97 and not from my sound card. Is this possible?
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wwjd
    I report this because there is a reasonable chance that the loud recorded audio problem I have with the PVR-150 may be related to the hidden on board audio. It may have been getting its audio volume from the AC97 and not from my sound card. Is this possible?
    No It really can't be possible.
    The audio input of the PVR-series is totally seperated form the built-in sound or soundcard. It's a complete seperate board!.

I really hope those Hauppauge guys are coming with a real solution now! I still have here my 2 PVR-150 cards which I can't use for serious recordings!
    All recordings are useless because of the much too loud audio!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After numerous emails to support they said that some PVR-150 cards had the loud audio problem and that they would replace and or repair the board if the customer requests an RMA and pays for the shipping to Hauppauge. I do not think I should pay for any shipping but I want the board fixed. It did does not sound like it will be a software fix but maybe it will.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wwjd
    After numerous emails to support they said that some PVR-150 cards had the loud audio problem and that they would replace and or repair the board if the customer requests an RMA and pays for the shipping to Hauppauge.
    That's intresting to hear!
    Do you have some confirmation about that? I asked for a solution on a dutch Hauppauge forum and the support people said they would try to find/ask for a fix to adjust the volume with a register setting.
    But I really have my doubts about it, we still have heard nothing about a software/register fix.
    If they now admit there is a hardware fault, then not much can be done about it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That intresting wwjd I have to look in this but plases keep in mind that Hauppauge dosen't manufacturer the board them self they are done by 3rdparty board manufacturer just like 95% of all the other TV card very few are even done in house by the manufacturer them self, but then it may not have been 3rdparty manufacturer fault, My guest is that the manufacturer that made that chip that had made in first place and a bad batch so guest who take all heat Hauppauge.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well... while I understand that Hauppauge should not take "all the heat"...

1. They have a quality control responsibility. They need to stand behind their product.

2. I had this audio issue with my 150 - which I traded in for a 250 at the retailer. But I'm still waiting on a return call from a manager at Hauppauge customer service to discuss RMA'ing the 150. That's been what... 2 weeks now? And it was 2 polite messages that I left - per their phone rep's suggestion.

At the time I was not sure the retailer would let me return the card because it was after 30 days AND I had removed the UPC for the rebate, so I was playing both ends to make sure I wasn't stuck with this lemon.

I decided to wait on the Manager's call from Hauppauge to let him know what my experience was - and direct him to this thread so he could see it wasn't an isolated instance... so that others who were stuck might be able to RMA.

Since I never got that return call, my opinion of their CS is not very high.
    But it does sound like they will make things right for those that want to get a proper 150... at least per that post.

I'd like to know if they come through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Loud Volume situation on the PVR 150. The Volume Slider turned down to 50% (Upper Left of WinTV2000 window) seemed to fix my recording volumn.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm glad that solved your problem.

My understanding is the slider in the TV2000 program you refer to only controls line out volume - not recording volume.

If it had been that easy for me I would have kept the card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I was wondering if that was so, now it confirms it. Some have no audio problems and some do. Good to see there is a fix, I guess I am one of the lucky ones with a good PVR-150.
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tipstir
    Good to see there is a fix, I guess I am one of the lucky ones with a good PVR-150.
    We have to see if there is really an officially fix for it!.
    I still wait for a reply from the dutch Hauppauge support here.

I also going to swap my PVR-150 with another one to see if it has the same audio issue's.
    And all the slider adjustments help nothing, you only can change the PLAYBACK volume with it.
    If you really want to check the audio recording levels just extract the audio from your recordings and examine it with a wave editor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I got mine, it just came off the truck end of 2004. Also have two Media MVP 1000, don't have any problems. Oh well, like you said you just have to wait and see.

Good luck!
    Best Regards,

Tipstir
    MediaMVP Supporter
    Quote Quote  
  19. I just got a message from someone with a PVR-USB2 that was having the same audio problem (too loud, distorted). He got a registry patch from Hauppauge that appears to fix the problem:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Conexant\Parameters\ivac15\DrvUSB]
    "PreScale_Scart_EXT"=dword:00001000

Maybe one of you with the PVR-150 can try this out. The setting is different than on the PVR-250.

See this thread for the original problem on the PVR-USB2:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254080&highlight=
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Need to say junkmalle the registry patch for the 250/350 and USB2 do not work on the 150/500 capture card.
    I know the Hauppauge engineering are still run some test right now and they do not have an answer nor a fix for us.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Well, that setting was different than the one for the PVR-250 so I thought it might be something new to try...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After reviewing some of the captures with the Loud Audio, I went back through the settings for the PVR. The solution to my problem is listed below.

This Motherboard (Soyo KT 333) has onboard sound but I am using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card. Onboard Audio disabled in Bios.
    • Checked settings for the Mixer(Santa Crux). No volume level above 7.5
    • WinTV Preference > Audio tab > set Mixer slider to 50%
    • WinTV2000 > Turn the slider for volumn to 50%
    The Captured MPG volume is no longer 'blown out' on the recordings.

I purchased this card at Circuit City just before Christmas. It may not have the same issue others are posting, but the symptoms appear the same. My issues is purely operator error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Leoslocks have made any DVD disc and play them back
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made several DVDs that had the Loud Audio problem. The corrected audio versions have been view on the computer but not burned to disk yet. I will author a test of a recent capture and post back.

[Edited to include test]

The authored DVD played on the TV still has a loud volume. It is not distorted or "Blown Out" as previous captures made with high volume settings. This Loud Volume is not excessive anymore so that the volume of Commercials is to normal TV volume.

I will capture some TV with adjusted volume and author to test the results.

[Edit to excuse myself]

I did Several captures with different Volume settings and realized that low volume settings did not influence the volume of the finished DVD. I adjusted the mixer volume as well as the WinTV volume settings. Although I am better off for the experience, Please excuse me for polluting your search for the hardware problem.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried to rma their card through Hauppauge for this problem and has the result been satisfactory?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am in an RMA process currently. My PVR-150 will not arrive at Hauppauge until Jan. 24th, which means that I will not know any details until mid to late Feb. 2005. They said it would take at least (3) days to test, which more than likely will take several weeks. They said if the audio is defective they will fix it. No real details on what 'fix it' means.

I keep this thread posted!
    bits
    Quote Quote  
  27. I just recently bought the PVR-150 a couple days ago (CC$70AR) and haven't had time to do much testing with it.

Although the audio is definatly louder than my onboard sound card, I can't say it's distorted.

Has anyone tried normalizing their audio with software, if so did you have good results?
    Like if converting it to AC3.

Also, can you only capture audio as Mpeg1 layer 2 with this card?
    I see AC3 is greyed out.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The PVR does not do AC3. I converted to AC3 using TDA but that did not help at all.

You could probably re-encode and do something with the audio volume but that would defeat the main reason for getting the card, direct encode to mpeg then author.
    bits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BSR
    I see AC3 is greyed out.
    That's been bothering me too - why is it there at all? AC3 isn't mentioned anywhere I've looked, but still that disbled checkbox, laughing at me when I look away.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think they have settings greyed out because the TV2000 program is for all of their cards.

Some other cards support different features that TV2000 has built into it.

Can anyone confirm getting back a fixed card from rma yet?
    Quote Quote