VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks once again junkmalle for your in depth suggestion.

I'm visiting my son in law next week and will give that two cameras on one film a try. However, it still seems wierd that the clear picture you see which was obtained from his computer transfer AVI file, ended up a fuzzy AVI when the same film is transfered onto my computer.

I could not use the same film for clear and fuzzy for my examples as he had taken the film back with him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ meridklt / All...

I think a summary of where we're at is warranted, to bring together all that's been tried and the results received.

meridklt - Would you oblige by listing all the combinations of cameras / cables / PCs that you've tried and their associated results.

Also, a list of what actions you've taken (e.g. swapping the card to a different PCI slot) would be useful too.

From this summary, we may see something else to ry or be able to identify the (likely) problem / candidate.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello daamon,

Some of this information regarding my son in laws side of things will not be available until Monday (he works away from home).

So on Monday I shall be travelling to his home with my camera and will be able to do tests on his computer, and then on my own when I return home as junkmalla suggested.

So I will make a full report here on Monday, so watch this space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi meridklt,

Combinations to try (just to take advantage of being there)...

Take a re-writeable CD with you (assuming he's got a CD writer).

1. Shoot the same footage at the same time - gives you comparable light levels.

2. Swap tapes over. Re-do 1.

3. Capture from both cams to your Son-In-Law's PC, to separate DV AVI clips. There should be four clips - 2 from each cam: before and after tape swap.

Label clips accordingly for your Son-In-Law's PC.

I'm gonna assume these are OK, based on previous posts.

4. Store the four DV AVIs from your Son-In-Law's PC on the CD-RW for comparison purposes.

5. Capture from both cams to your PC, to separate DV AVI clips. There should be four clips - 2 from each cam: before and after tape swap.

Label clips accordingly for your PC.

6. Capture from both cams to your PC using your Son-In-Law's firewirecable, to separate DV AVI clips. There should be four clips - 2 from each cam: before and after tape swap.

Label clips accordingly for your PC.

7. Review all clips. Post results here.

8. Drink a well earned pint.

If you want to enable recording via firewire to your DV cam, search for "enable DV-in" on Google. Similar searches may be necessary...

Good luck...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by meridklt
    Originally Posted by mikesbytes
    Why don't you send the video back to the camcorder and view it on the TV.
    See 16 posts above yours and then daamon reply after reading that.
    Understand that our camera hasn't got "IN". What about your sons camera.

It just strikes me that with all of the suggestions and advice you have received, the problem should of been found.

Personally, I think you need to verify each individual step to see where it is tripping up. Starting with transfer in from your camcorder and without any other action, transfer out to another camcorder. As you would of done nothing, the transferred out video, when played on your TV should be identical to the origional. If this is true, then the transfer is not the problem.
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikesbytes
    Starting with transfer in from your camcorder and without any other action, transfer out to another camcorder. As you would of done nothing, the transferred out video, when played on your TV should be identical to the origional. If this is true, then the transfer is not the problem.
    I have never done transfer out and I'm not sure if my son in law's camera can unlike mine accept transfer in. However, if it does I will try that.

Is all this straight forward? i.e Transfer from my camera into Premier 6.5 timeline (I'm new at Premier also), swap cameras over on firewire cable and tell Premier to put the Timeline on new camera.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is all this straight forward? i.e Transfer from my camera into Premier 6.5 timeline (I'm new at Premier also), swap cameras over on firewire cable and tell Premier to put the Timeline on new camera.
    Unless your Son-In-Laws cam was bought outside of Europe, I doubt it'd record in either.

However, if it does accept input, this is how to do it in Premiere 6.0:

1. Start and save a new projerct.
    2. Capture test clip in Premiere from desired camera.
    3. Drag clip onto timeline.
    4. Swap cameras at other end of firewire cable.
    5. File -> Export Timeline -> Export to Tape...
    6. Premiere controls the cam and you just click record in the Premiere window.

ANOTHER THING TO TRY, if your Son-In-Law is happy, is to swap over your firewire cards and record and review your DV AVIs then. Be sure to use both cams on each firewire card in each machine...

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for the further advice daamon.

I sure have a lot to do that day, as before any of this serious stuff takes place I'm taking my little grandson on his first railway journey. Then at journeys end we step off the train into Father Christmas's grotto.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No problem.

Have fun on the train - oh, and if you video it, make sure to capture the footage on your Son-In-Law's PC!

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all who have helped with my problem.

Problem is sorted, it was my capture card. Put mine into my son in laws computer and his captured AVI was poor and fuzzy. Put his capture card into my computer and captured AVi was clear without any fuzz.

So what make should I get (could not see a name on his and he does not know).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi meridklt,

Get a generic one from www.eBuyer.co.uk - Good prices, good gear, good service. I used them all the time when I was in the UK.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    Get a generic one from www.eBuyer.co.uk - Good prices, good gear, good service. I used them all the time when I was in the UK.

What does a 'generic' one mean?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by meridklt
    Originally Posted by daamon

What does a 'generic' one mean?
    The cheaper ones/No name Brand.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Still good though..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, what canadatek said.

Like this one... It's got 3 external input ports, 34 reviews and scores 4.5 out of 5 - all for 9 quid.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all who have helped with my problem.

Problem is sorted, it was my capture card. Put mine into my son in laws computer and his captured AVI was poor and fuzzy. Put his capture card into my computer and captured AVi was clear without any fuzz.

So what make should I get (could not see a name on his and he does not know).
    Are you doing analog capture or digital transfer? Make sure you get a 1394 card, not an analog cature card.
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikebytes
    Are you doing analog capture or digital transfer? Make sure you get a 1394 card, not an analog cature card.
    Doing digital transfer and I will make sure its a 1394 card.

To all who have helped me and any who are reading this Post, may I wish you and yours a happy Christmas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And a Merry Xmas and trouble-free video New Year to you too.

I think your Son-In-Law deserves a bottle of whiskey for allowing you to dismantle his PC based on the say-so of a stranger (albeit an English stranger) in Australia!!!

That link I gave you above (Posted: 21 Dec, 2004 10:16) will take you to a firewire card that'll do the job.

Daamon.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    meridklt,
    If you have a choice, go for TI or NEC chipset firewire card. Avoid VIA chipset firewire cards. Struggled with my VIA chipset card until I get suggestion from daamon to uninstall and try another PCI slot.

Installed a NEC firewire for my brother last week. It was much easier.
    Quote Quote