VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have about 40 VHS tapes (Motocross races) that I would like to transfer to either VCD or DVD. I figured I could do it one of two ways and I was hoping for some input as to which one might be better.
    1. VHS to stand alone DVD burner.
    2. VHS to pc video card to pc DVD burner.
    These tapes were made from television broadcasts and have commercials that I would like to edit out. A simple menu on the DVD or CD that shows what races are on each disc would be a nice option. I realize that the picture quality will not be oustanding coming from a VHS tape, but the tapes are fragile and have grown too numerous. Any comments or insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For a quick-n-dirty transfer, option 1. For editing, making a menu, etc etc, option 2, although depending on restrictions you may have applied by either your video card's capture settings or your dvd recorder, you may be better off doing option 1, then importing this into your PC for editing. It really depends on what video card you're using, what sort of running time per race we're talking about and on what dvd recorder you're using.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because of the fast motion inherit in your source I would only go with the stand alone DVD recorder option if you intend to make a DVD no more than 60 minutes long.

With the computer method you should be able to stretch it out to about 90 minutes per DVD.

But the computer method is more tricky and takes longer so it all depends on how "into it" you want to get.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was in your position not long ago (although I wanted ancient British Touring Car races transferred :P ) and I opted for the JVC DR-M10 standalone DVD recorder, and I am absolutely delighted with it. Just be careful what media you choose (check out my thread "Is this what you call a 'coaster'?").
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you already have a good computer, the vhs to PC method would be cheaper and allow you more editing options. But it is not a one click affair.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good question, but as the above responses show, there is no clear cut answer. If your a quality freak and don't mind spending a considerable amount of time to get the best results, the PC is the way to go. Many more processing options are available with the PC, such as much more editing and authoring capabilities, and video/audio filtering and restoration. On the other hand is you simply want to get it done and over with pretty decent results (most likely), the stand alone is the best choice. Also with the stand alone, you can ditch that VCR when your done and go to digital television recording.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And it seems the standalones have closed the quality gap since they went mainstream. Most do an outstanding job .....if you just want to replace your VCR, that is
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the input. My biggest concern is really picture quality. I don't necessarily need top notch quality, but my tapes were recorded in ELP, extra long play mode and the quality is already diminished because of this factor. I need to keep the loss to a minimum.
    I guess the other factor is reaching some type of compromise with what my desire is with authoring, and what my actual abilities are. I don't mind admitting that my eyes bleed after visiting the glossary page. I am learning, but I am also overwhelmed to some degree......
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You definately want a TBC then if quality is a major concern. Get a separate Super VHS and a stand alone DVD recorder (such as the aforementioned JVC M10). The TBC will let you correct some of the minor picture quality problems you may be seeing. Plus, the audio and video will be properly synched up again, if that problem has started to develop.

I'm a big fan of this method, I've just started using it the last month or three, and have nothing but great results thus far, even with tapes that are 20-25 years old.
    Quote Quote