VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My Dad has asked me to recommend a DVD recorder. This is a man who bought his first DVD player six months ago, and still can't figure out how to work his way through the menus on a standard DVD. I actually have to edit out the menus so that the main feature will play on first play.

He's buying a DVD recorder whether I give him a recommendation or not. If I don't recommend one, and he gets screwed, I'll be hearing about it for the rest of my life. But if I make a recommendation and it doesn't work out...well...I'll be hearing about it for the rest of my life. I personally do all my recording and editing using my PC, so I'm not really sure what standalone units are available, and more importantly, which ones are simple to use. I've done some reading up on the net, but most articles are geared towards peopole who are technically minded. They don't say much about how easy the units are to use for people that are still using Betamax VCRs and 8 track tape decks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    D.W.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Panasonic has one of the easiest to follow on-screen menus I've seen. My wife immediately started using it the first day, and she's about as technically un-savvy as they get
    Quote Quote  
  3. He's buying a DVD recorder whether I give him a recommendation or not. If I don't recommend one, and he gets screwed, I'll be hearing about it for the rest of my life. But if I make a recommendation and it doesn't work out...well...I'll be hearing about it for the rest of my life.

Any suggestions?
    Upgrade your Dad?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Give you dad a dose of STFU, then tell him to RTFM
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's impossible to make anything idiot proof; idiots are too ingenious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by MrMoody
    It's impossible to make anything idiot proof; idiots are too ingenious.

Too true. Idiots always think "outside the square".
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everybody's a comedian. I too recommend a Panasonic as being easy to learn and also have my wife as proof. I'm sure that other brands are just as easy, I just don't have experience with them.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Panasonic are nice with a hard drive makes life alot easier.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Panasonic has one of the easiest to follow on-screen menus I've seen.
    Thanks. I was leaning towards recommending that he buy one of the Panasonic units with a hard drive. If I'm lucky, he won't be able to figure it out and he'll give it to me
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by trock
    Upgrade your Dad?
    If that was an option, I'd have taken it years ago
    Quote Quote  
  11. I bought the Panasonic DMR80 as it was the only Hard Disk model available here at the time. It is still the best device I have EVER bought. So idiot proof a friend of mine who doesnt know much english and who has little education is using it like a Pro.

I dunno how the quality compares with other models, but it is good enuff for me. I mean, what other machine lets u record up to 100 hours (in EP mode), which is great if u are going on long holiday and u are not worried about very high quality. In XP mode you get about 16 hours, which is still fantastic. I got through the Olympics this year without a single video cassette and I didnt even have to stay glued to the TV. Just timed the entire day, and at when I was home, trimmed off the bits I wasnt interested in and recorded some more.

In the past I had to get ready an entire stack of videos, and get up in the middle of the night to change tapes.... what a thousand bucks can buy!

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HDD models are not for idiots. They'll get confused. Get a non-HDD model to keep it simple.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi Lordsmurf

I dont agree. With HD models, you dont even have to bother with a disc, which can be problematic with disc condition etc.

With the HD I just hit record when I want to , play back is simple, and erase it when done. The volume of the HD allows me to keep weeks worth of episodes to watch when I feel like it. You dont need to worry about disc space, or changing discs etc. This has been great cos if I see something nice on telly I just hit the record button straight away, not having to worry if there is enough disc inside.

Of course it has a lot of fancy functions, but you dont need them to perform simple recording and playback. The timer is also simple to use, and it is the most idiot proof I have ever seen because

1. you can continue to play even when timer is on, so there is never a problem of a relative turning on the set and ruining your timer programme

2. the timer input is very easy to use

cheers!
    ch
    Quote Quote