VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I am hoping somebody has experience with the iLo DVDR04 recorder when it comes to extracting the video onto a PC.

I understand that this recorder records the video in the VR mode instead of the universal Video mode. When I look at the content of the DVD+RW, there are 2 folders: VIDEO_RM and VIDEO_TS. I know that with the Video mode, the 2 folders on the disc are AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS.

The VIDEO_TS folder created by the iLo DVDR04 in VR mode contains VOB files as you would find in the equivalent folder created in Video mode. The VOB files have a limited size of 1 GB and I have tried many times to open them with TMPGEnc DVD Author. The first non-menu VOB file opens fine and I am able to edit it to remove commercials as I usually do when encoding MPEG2 files captured with a video capture card on my PC. The problem is that TMPGEnc DVD Author refuses to open the rest of the VOB files and gives me error messages saying that the files are not MPEG1 or MPEG2 files.

DVD Shrink cannot open the disc at all, even after copying the files in Windows Explorer in a folder on the hard drive. DVD Shrink tells me the structure of the disc is invalid (something to this effect).

At one time, I thought that I had to finalize the disc before reading it in my PC but the iLo DVDR04 won't finalize the DVD+RW disc.

After doing a lot of research this morning in the forums on VideoHelp.com, I found a lot of people talking about that VIDEO_RM folder and a couple of people mentioned using DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to rip the disc. I will try tonight if I have time. Other people said that they had no problems with TMPGEnc DVD Author opening the VOB files so am I doing anything wrong?

Since all the topics talking about the VIDEO_RM folder and the VR mode were not related to the iLo DVDR04 recorder in particular but mostly a Philips model, I was hoping that somebody could tell me more about the iLo model.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on with the iLo DVDR04?

The idea for me was to use the DVD recorder as a capturing device that is more reliable that the video capture card in my PC to archive TV shows off my DirecTV DVR. My video capture card would lose frames once in a while.

FYI, if that makes any difference at all, I am running Windows XP Home SP2 and the DVD drive I am using in my PC as a player and recorder is a Pioneer DVR-106D.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi,

I copy the files created by the ILO DVDRO4 in Windows explorer from the video_ts folder to my harddrive and have been able to edit with dvdshrink 3.2. I must remove the menus with dvdshrink and burn again to get the DVD+RW to play on any of my set top dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I run mine through DVDFAB then burn with the same product. Since I'm not editing I'm not sure if that helps.
    What are you trying to do? Just edit the commercials?
    You may need to title the dvd+rw before you can edit it, I think the instructions are on page 23 of the manual.
    I had a problem playing +rw, wrote tech support, they told me to do that and it worked.
    If you are trying to edit commercials I think you can do that with a +rw disk on the Ilo itself.
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=9fc98c3f81dd29a32b3f363baaeebc91
    Try the above. I seem to recall someone there was trying to edit on the pc as well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by chilli
    Hi,

I copy the files created by the ILO DVDRO4 in Windows explorer from the video_ts folder to my harddrive and have been able to edit with dvdshrink 3.2. I must remove the menus with dvdshrink and burn again to get the DVD+RW to play on any of my set top dvd players.
    You need to title the dvd+rw. The process is on page 23 of the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys for your replies, I really appreciate that.

So I guess I should have read the manual better, uh? Thank you, I will take a look at how to title the DVD+RW.

Last night I tried to use DVD Decrypter as suggested by somebody else and it worked! The trick was to rip in IFO mode and make sure that video file for one track would be one VOB file and not split in several 1 GB VOB files.
    I was able to extract a movie from TV that was aired in a 2-hour time period and after editing the commercials out with TMPGEnc DVD Author before burning it on a DVD-R, the movie ends up being only 1 hour 26 minutes long!

Anyway, I will read the manual again but this time I'll spend more time on page 23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't feel alone, I did the same thing. I felt a bit foolish for sending that question to tech support.
    Titling the dvd seems to be similar to finalizing it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks EvilWizardGlick:
    for the info on titling, new to standalone recorders. I will give the next recording a title and test it in my set top players. I guess I should read the entire manual.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote