VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a cd burner which i wish to keep. Having a pioneer 108 installed with the cd burner will it cause any issues? Also i have read on a website something about if your installing a dvd burner it must be on the master channel even if there is an IDE device on there.

Can't i just have it as a slave or do i need to have someone change the jumper settings from the cd burner to the dvd burner.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. IMHO the DVD burner works best as a Master on the secondary IDE buss, a fact found after much messing around with several pooters. On my current PC I also have a DVD/CD combo drive on the same buss configured as the slave and that works just fine.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well Duchess this is what i'm thinking of doing.

1st IDE channel main HD drive as the master and the CD burner as the slave. My DVD burner as the 2nd IDE channel master and my back up HD drive as the slave.

OR

1st IDE channel main hard drive as master and the back up HD drive as slave. 2nd IDE channel DVD Burner as master CD Burner as slave.

BTW when changing channels for hard drives i dont need to format the drive? The drive was formated when being installed into the PC.

Originally Posted by Duchess
    IMHO the DVD burner works best as a Master on the secondary IDE buss, a fact found after much messing around with several pooters. On my current PC I also have a DVD/CD combo drive on the same buss configured as the slave and that works just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your first choice might be better if yo plan on ever copying CD to CD. Otherwise it won't make much of a difference. You will read a lot of stuff about combining optical and ide devices and drives operating at the slowest speed on the same channel, but I have never been able to replicate any of it. I have a similair configuration as your first choice and have no problem. I tried it all different ways and it didn't make any difference to performance. I left it that way because of the cable length. Also, all you have to do is change the little jumpers, nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok well I'll give my suggestion to the tech's at the store im going too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My setup is IDE 1 Master :HD Slave:HD
    IDE 2 Master :Pioneer 108 Slave : 167T DVD-Rom

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any issues bodyslide?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No issues in over 3 years.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alright thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have same hookup as bodyslide, except I have no slave HD. When copying CDs or DVDs, I usually write to HD first, so this setup works well for me.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cool stuff thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    I've got THE exact same on one of my computers, except my burner's a 107, not a 108.

On my other computer, I've got HD and LiteOn 166S DVD-ROM on primary, and two LiteOn 52246 CD-RWs on the secondary.

I read somewhere that if you have two hard drives that they should be on the same channel - can't remember where, but no issues having it that way so who am I to question
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    basically the same, just different DVD drives
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didnt want to make a another post about pioneer 108. So i'll ask my question in here. When the pioneer 108 is installed and im burning data onto a dvd disc should I be worried about heat issues? I think i got one fan and its in the back of the computer tower.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by freestylegreek
    I didnt want to make a another post about pioneer 108. So i'll ask my question in here. When the pioneer 108 is installed and im burning data onto a dvd disc should I be worried about heat issues? I think i got one fan and its in the back of the computer tower.
    I wouldn't worry too much - I daresay there's thousands, if not millions, of towers around the world that operate like this
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahhhhhhhhhh ok thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One question I have is with the set up im going to do how good does my motherboard have to be to hand this? I have a Intel 850E i think well thats what it said when i download a intel chipset identify program.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also this is the set up im going to do 1st IDE channel main HD drive as the master and the CD burner as the slave. My DVD burner as the 2nd IDE channel master and my back up HD drive as the slave.

I think i remember seeing someone or someone's mention this is a good setup.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for another post but someone who works with computers told me i should have my set up like this.

IDE0: main HD master and backup HD slave IDE1: DVD Burner master and CDR Burner slave.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah ........... it was YOU !

1st IDE channel main HD drive as the master and the CD burner as the slave. My DVD burner as the 2nd IDE channel master and my back up HD drive as the slave.
    Even though you had 3 people saying they had a different setup with no ill-effects ?

EDIT:

Sorry for another post but someone who works with computers told me i should have my set up like this.

IDE0: main HD master and backup HD slave IDE1: DVD Burner master and CDR Burner slave.
    That's 4 for 4
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After talking to this guy i know who fixes alot of computers and builds them i should him the site and he agree's with what bodyslide has said. The guy I know say's if you mix up the hard drives and optical drives meaning CDR, DVD. It will cause issues cause it will be looking around for it. So if you put them together meaning the setup bodyslide has it has to reason to go to one channel then to another looking for the data.

Originally Posted by Bodyslide

Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya but do they fix computers? The guy i know does and he deals with people's issues all the time.

Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Yeah ........... it was YOU !

I didnt know it was me i thought others had the same setup.

Even though you had 3 people saying they had a different setup with no ill-effects ?

EDIT:

That's 4 for 4
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help everyone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ya but do they fix computers? The guy i know does and he deals with people's issues all the time.
    Well, not to blow my own trumpet, but ....

If you'd looked at my profile, you'd see I'm an IT Systems Officer. I look after 100 computers and while it's not a pre-requisite for "knowing my shit", you'd think I'd have a fair idea ...

Then there's my four PCs at home, not to mention the 20-odd PCs I've bought & built for family and friends that are too lazy to go to a store ...

It just seemed kinda strange that you'd go to an internet forum and hear/read the same answer 4 times, only to disregard the answers totally, but suddenly take notice as soon as one of your mates recommends the exact same thing.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry there i dont really look at profiles. Maybe i should start LOL.

BTW winifreid said my first choice was good. Which wasn't the one i just mentioned.

Well now im cool and know what to choose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sorry there i dont really look at profiles. Maybe i should start LOL.

BTW winifreid said my first choice was good. Which wasn't the one i just mentioned.

Well now im cool and know what to choose.
    No biggie
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Knowing is half the Battle LOL.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you look at the one post above, it says "If you are going to copy CD to CD", that is a good setup.

It lets you go from one IDE channel to the other, full speed.

But...If you plan to backup your DVDs, you will maturally rip, right? And if you rip and write to a drive on the same IDE channel, it has to take turns talking. IDE is "Pardon me, my turn."

HDDs on IDE 1, you rip from IDE 2 to IDE 1.Process the video, or whatever, send it back to the burners on IDE 2. No IRQ problems. Continual data transfer.

Hope this is some help, although how to set up is still going to be argued even when we get to ONE device that does it all. Then it will probably be right side up or upside down or on its side and which side.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So your saying it should go like this?

Primary IDE Main HD (Master) Backup HD (Slave)
    Seconadry IDE DVD Burner (Master) CD Burner (Slave)?
    Quote Quote