VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am considering adding a "movie" package to my present cable connection. I have 4:3 TV's. The cable provider says "only digital TV will provide the desired package." That means cable boxes, where I presently have none-just out of the wall direct connections, which I like. I have a JVC DR-M10 recorder.

1. Will this result in letter boxed TV because it is digital and I have only 4:3 TV's?

2. Does this work well with the JVC DR-10 recorder?

3. Can I have the cable company provide one line and then run another off it to service another TV and buy my own cable box for that, instead of paying an extra monthly charge?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1.youll have 1 set top box probably,not too much of a problem,as for settings for picture,the set top box youll get,there will be an option to make it 4:3.16:9.and other settings too,like for subs etc.

2.should do,my liteon works like a charm with the cable i have.some programmes i cant record,-there still encrypted,but most are no problem.

3.i got a transmitter setup for my house.
    its a litlle adaptor that plugged into the rear cable box.and it sends the picture to another room,with a little dongle that sits over the cable box,and inputs teh remote frequency for the channel i want from the mini dish thingy in my bedroom,all for a tiny 1 off payment of £50.
    i wouldnt pay for extra boxes or extra work.as your limited then to what you can do,but man,i can take this thing into the garden and it still works.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pepegot1
    1. Will this result in letter boxed TV because it is digital and I have only 4:3 TV's?
    No. You'll still have your same analog channels plus you'll get additional digitally-transmitted channels. The digital channels are converted by the box to analog for playing on your TV. Only an High Def cable box will send a 16:9 program and only from a High Def channel.

2. Does this work well with the JVC DR-10 recorder?
    Yes, sort of. If you connect the JVC so the cable first goes to the cable box (the cable company requires this) and then to the JVC and then to the TV, the JVC's tuner needs to be set to Channel 3 to record whatever is tuned on the Cable box. You only could use the JVC's tuner for those same analog channels you now get and only when the Cable box is turned off.

There are other ways to hook these up. For example, I have a splitter that sends the cable to the Cable box and another cable to the DVR. I also have the line output of the Cable box connected to the line input of the DVR. I have the Cable box and the DVR connected to different inputs on the TV. This way I can be recording an analog station with the DVR's tuner while watching a different station from the Cable box. I can record the digital channels from the Cable box by using the Line Input source on the DVR.

3. Can I have the cable company provide one line and then run another off it to service another TV and buy my own cable box for that, instead of paying an extra monthly charge?
    You need to use the digital cable boxes provided by the cable company.
    Quote Quote  
  4. pepegot1 wrote:

You need to use the digital cable boxes provided by the cable company.

absolute tripe.!
    teh sender units aer equal in sound and picture quality.,check out this link.--its for the UK,but are available in teh states,as a family member we visited recently showed us,far cheaper,and your not always paying for it.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosBrowseCounts?storeId=10001&languageId=-1&C$cip=16718&Trail=C%24cip%3D16704%3EC%24cip%3D16 705%3EC%24cip%3D16718&categoryId=16718&top=N&langI d=-1&catalogId=2501
    under the section "digisenders"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for pointing this out. Cool.

I was thinking he wanted to be able to tune separate digital channels in each room, but this is a nice alternative.
    Quote Quote