VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to use the front firewire connection with my Sony TRV-18 camera. I keep getting a cable not connected message even though it is definitely connected. I am using a standard 4 wire to 4 wire cable. I have set the input on the RDR-GX7 to DV. My camcorder is on and in VCR mode. I have checked all settings and cannot get this to work. The firewire output from the TRV-18 works fine with my computer and I am able to upload and download DV video. I am sure it is probably something simple that I am overlooking. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.
    Quote Quote  
  2. hmm..firewire on my rdr-gx7 works fine...have you successfully used that cable elsewhere (e.g. is the cable somehow defective?)...also, try various combinations of devices on / off when you connect...suggest recorder on and camcorder off, then turn the camcorder on into VCR mode..also, sony email support has been pretty good for me...
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  3. rbrown3rd;

If I not mistaken the Gx 300 does not have a firewire interface but only S-video and composite. And that why I returned mine few months ago and waited for the Gx-900. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Let me correct my first message in this thread. I have an RDR-GX7 not an RDR-GX3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DaveS
    hmm..firewire on my rdr-gx7 works fine...have you successfully used that cable elsewhere (e.g. is the cable somehow defective?)...also, try various combinations of devices on / off when you connect...suggest recorder on and camcorder off, then turn the camcorder on into VCR mode..also, sony email support has been pretty good for me...
    Perhaps it is the order of turning them on. I will try that. The I-link cable is nothing more than a 4 pin to 4 pin cable right? Is there anything special about Sony's I-link cable that distinguishes it from any 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by rbrown3rd
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    hmm..firewire on my rdr-gx7 works fine...have you successfully used that cable elsewhere (e.g. is the cable somehow defective?)...also, try various combinations of devices on / off when you connect...suggest recorder on and camcorder off, then turn the camcorder on into VCR mode..also, sony email support has been pretty good for me...
    Perhaps it is the order of turning them on. I will try that. The I-link cable is nothing more than a 4 pin to 4 pin cable right? Is there anything special about Sony's I-link cable that distinguishes it from any 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable?
    nothing special about the cable that I'm aware of...I'd try another cable as well, just to eliminate that cable as the source of the problem..
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  7. I used the cable to connect to my laptop to upload video from my camcorder to the hard drive. It worked perfectly. So, it is not the cable. I tried connecting to the RDR recorder and I get nothing but a purple screen and when I try to record from the camcorder to the RDR recorder I still get the message "cable not connected." This is very perplexing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. call / email sony
    Quote Quote  
  9. Emailed them and got nothing but the standard setup routine. Plug in cable, set camcorder to vcr mode, record from tape to DVD. Not much help. Will call if I can find the number.
    Quote Quote