VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I´ve got this problem with un-even edges in movies when the camera moves. Every second horizontal line is slightly "behind" when theres movement in the picture. I´m using ZoomPlayer on my 16:9 100 Hz television. It looks like a interlace/deinterlace problem and I´ve tried to use the "deinterlace" botton in ZoomPlayer, but no change. And it only happens during cameramovement.

Hope someone knows how to solve this really irritating problem? Is it because the television is 100 Hz maybe??

-Zacron
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This does indeed sound like interlacing. Have you tried playing the file in a different player? I normally use PowerDVD which seems to be able to handle interlaced footage better than most. Alternatively, what does it look like if played on a standalone DVD player (assuming they are in a format that can be played on a standalone)? I wouldn't think the 100Hz refresh rate is making any difference but you could try turning it off and see if that has an effect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanx for your reply

I´ve tried using Mediaplayer and Power DVD but the same thing happens. When playing a MPEG file from the TV-out the problem is still there but when burning and playing from a standalone DVD player it´s gone. I just borrowed and tried playing XVID´s and DIVX´s from a KISS DVD player hooked up to my television and still the interlace problem is there. Could it be my television that´s the problem? Hope not cause it´s a quite expensive 16:9 Panasonic model. Can´t turn off my 100hz refresh-rate thou.

Does anyone else have a problem like this I wonder?

-Zacron
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try standard 60hz refresh
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about Panasonic, but on my Sony and also the Philips 100Hz models, it is possible to turn 100Hz off and revert to the standard 50Hz setting (not 60Hz as Lordsmurf said, that only applies to NTSC). In fact, if you look on a number of the UK forums, a lot of people don't consider 100Hz worth bothering with. Have a look in the manual for the TV and see if you can find it in there.

The fact that the problem goes away if you burn to DVD and use a standalone player confirms that it isn't an actual problem with the TV but with the way it is handling the signal it is being fed with from the pc. It sounds as though the TV is being treated as an external monitor and not a TV. Whether the 100Hz setting has any relevance though could only be proved by turning it off (which could be a problem if you can't!).

What are you using to connect to the TV, composite, S-Video or can your TV be configured as a computer monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hey

Thanx for all your help Richard_G
    The problem is there thou. Regretable my TV cannot switch into 50hz. I´ve tried loads of different changes in both display properties and in ZoomPlayer options, but no matter what I do the edge-problem is still there, never changing.
    I´m using composite out and my computer sees the display as a TV. Do you think that if I use a converter from DVI to S-video that there´s a chance it might work? And I wonder if the picture-quality will improve using S-video?
    My last resort is buying another TV some day...but to change my 1300 £ TV will hurt.

-Zacron
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt if using S-Video will make any difference. About the only thing left for you to try (if you haven't already) is changing the screen resolution and refresh rate on your computer. This may well change what is being sent to your TV. I used to use an old ATI All-in-Wonder 128 (with the Rage 128 chipset) and I had to turn the screen resolution down as low as it would go (640 x 480 I think) before it would display properly on a TV. The refresh rate always defaulted to 50Hz instead of the 75Hz or whatever that I was running the monitor at. The Radeon card I have now sorts itself out and can use different resolutions on monitor and TV (thankfully, even 800 x 600 looks absolutely horrible on a 17" TFT monitor!).

I can't do any more tests as the machine that had that card has been updated (in fact, only the case and floppy drive remain) and the only TV I can try is a Sony 16:9 IDTV. Which, incidentally, works fine displaying the output from the computer.
    Quote Quote