VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope I am posting in the right forum - my apologies if not.

I have been capturing and authoring now for quite some time but with an Athlon 1.8Ghz and a software driven Hauppage I have been having the inevitable dropped frames.

To avoid this I am considering buying a Panasonic E55 but purely for capturing purposes intending to capture on DVD-RAM then ripping to the PC for re-authoring. Has anybody any experience of this? It is at the ripping stage that I envisage potential problems - will the fact the disk going into my PC's DVD-ROM is in DVD-RAM format create issues?. My DVD-ROM is said to be DVD-RAM complient (although I have never tested it) but can I expect problems at software/ripping level?

Any comments or experience of this anybody?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your DVD drive(s) can read DVD-RAM then you'll be fine.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest you look into TMPGEnc DVD Author.

It is a very simple-to-use yet highly effective DVD Authoring program that will easily import your DVD-RAM and allow you to perform simple cut editing as well as creating a new menu and chapters etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Also, search the forums for : e30 or e55 You should get numerous other topics on this that way.....

It's all been said & done for ya.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I capture to DVDRAM on my E55, read the RAM disk into my PC via my LG 4160 burner --- resultant VRO files opened in TMPGEnc DVD Author, edited and copied back out to DVD as required.

Works fine!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Belongs in DVD RECORDERS forum. Moved...
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akagi
    I hope I am posting in the right forum - my apologies if not.

I have been capturing and authoring now for quite some time but with an Athlon 1.8Ghz and a software driven Hauppage I have been having the inevitable dropped frames.

To avoid this I am considering buying a Panasonic E55 but purely for capturing purposes intending to capture on DVD-RAM then ripping to the PC for re-authoring. Has anybody any experience of this? It is at the ripping stage that I envisage potential problems - will the fact the disk going into my PC's DVD-ROM is in DVD-RAM format create issues?. My DVD-ROM is said to be DVD-RAM complient (although I have never tested it) but can I expect problems at software/ripping level?

Any comments or experience of this anybody?
    Expect the ripping of files from the DVD-RAM to your PC's hard drive to take about 10-15 minutes.

The biggest stumblig block will be whether you'll be able to read the files on the DVD-RAM once you have it in your PC's DVD drive. You may have to install a DVD-RAM driver. Other than that, it's smooth sailing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For me, RAM always took closer to 30-45 minutes, unlike the R/RW formats.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Some Ram is 1x, but they have some new ones that do 3x. So, its not as fast.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I work with RAM constantly, they take about 20-25 minutes when full or close to full.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice everybody. Having been experimenting elsewhere can you tell me whether the E55 machine will produced ripped MPEG 2 files with AC-3 audio?. In my experiments with ripping from a disk created on my sisters DVD+RW stand alone machine it produced files that had this AC-3 audio such that my Ulead 7 could not play or edit the sound. I know that there are ways round this but I would like to avoid extra expense if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by akagi
    Thank you for the advice everybody. Having been experimenting elsewhere can you tell me whether the E55 machine will produced ripped MPEG 2 files with AC-3 audio?. In my experiments with ripping from a disk created on my sisters DVD+RW stand alone machine it produced files that had this AC-3 audio such that my Ulead 7 could not play or edit the sound. I know that there are ways round this but I would like to avoid extra expense if possible.
    The Panasonic DMR-E55 will always record 2.0 256kbps AC-3 audio except in the 60 minute XP mode ... in which case it will be PCM audio (although I think you can force AC-3 audio if you want).

I don't know if you can edit AC-3 audio with Ulead 7 but you can with TMPGEnc DVD Author or with MPEG-VCR

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote