VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Got some loot for a DVD burner finally. I want to be able to burn both DVD- and DVD+R.. Can someone tell me what the best dual layared DVD burner on the market is? THANKS!!

Shawn
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the best is NEC 3500
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by soundforbjt
    One of the best is NEC 3500
    For real????? I have had a NEC brand for the last year and everyone i talk to says they only have a one year lifespan
    Quote Quote  
  4. I dont think there is a "best"..lol..but i do ok with an LG and Hp, I always buy whats cheap. If you look over in the DVD burners <<< many people leave comments on them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Liteon at walmart ... $100 bucks ... works good for me
    Quote Quote  
  6. $100 is too high for Liteon; see Newegg.com.

I would also vote for NEC 3500 with a close second being Pioneer 108. They both burn good media flawlessly.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    kewl thanks for the tips so far? someone mentioned to look in DVD BURNERS and view people reviews? where is that at? I see DVD Writers..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Pioneer 108 (A08)
    Capmaster..

is this the one you suggested????
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314917&pfp=BROWSE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry..DVD Writers.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Most burners now days burn Dvd-r or Dvd+r. My suggestion is to buy the fastest and dual layer burner. I have Pioneer's 108, fast cheap great all around burner i paid $89.00 but I have seen it for less. As for the dual layer I know the media is still a bit high in price, it will come down.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tattman
    I have Pioneer's 108, fast cheap great all around burner i paid $89.00 but I have seen it for less
    yo tattman!!
    $89 bucks?? where? i am at comp usa's site (the link i gave above) and they have it listed at $119.99 (after $30 rebate) so it would cost me $150 up front..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok thanks. i found it at best buy for 89 bucks after rebate....Thanks for the input everone!!

\m/
    Rock on!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Pioneer 108 (A08)
    I'll second the Pioneer choice. I have a 106 and it has burned everything I've put in it
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer, LiteOn, LG
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. 1. BenQ DW1620: Very good burn quality, fast, very good media support and firmware support from BenQ, bitsetting for all plus formats, support for media quality scanning. "Editor's choice" at both cdfreaks and cdrinfo.

2. LG GSA-4163B: Fast and good for rewriting with 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW and 5x DVD-RAM, very fast at 16x DVD±R thanks to PCAV, support bitsetting for DVD+R and DVD+R DL.

3. NEC ND-3500A: Performs well with both DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW, lots of "unofficial" firmwares and tools available.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Are any of these available external as USB?? If not, what would the recomendations be for a USB external?? Thanks. John
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by johncat
    Are any of these available external as USB?? If not, what would the recomendations be for a USB external?? Thanks. John
    Buy a combo(USB/Firewire) external enclosure for $40USD.
    www.meritline.com/firewire-usb-external-enclosure-5-25-cd-dvd-drive-hdd.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johncat
    Are any of these available external as USB?? If not, what would the recomendations be for a USB external?? Thanks. John

I got this one ... I put my Sony DRU-500A in it ... works with my Compaq Presario 1210US Laptop and my Dell 5150 Laptop.

http://www.supermediastore.com/bytecc-me-320u2.html

Bytecc USB 2.0 External Enclosure for 5.25 / 3.5 Inch HDD/Device, w/ Fan, Silver, Retail (ME-320U2)
    Ratings:
    Product Code: HDW10X0031-001
    Manufacturer: Bytecc
    Mfr part #: This External Case is a portable storage drive case that incorporates the new USB 2.0 High Speed interface! This case provides an easy and fast way to add more storage to a computer. The hot-swappable Plug and Play feature gives anyone great convenience on the road or when using the drive with different computers. This drive is compatible with Apple Macintosh and Windows personal computers. more...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In my time I've used Pioneer 104, 106 & (currently) 107 - all excellent.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The NEC 3500A is a good drive (I am currently using Liggy's 2.18 modified firmware - check out the NEC subforum (under Hardware recorders) at http://club.cdfreaks.com for info on many different firmwares.

The BenQ 1620 is also suppose to be a good drive (a bit faster, supports error scanning, and better "official" firmware support).

The nec still appears to have an advantage with -R media, but the BenQ is catching up fast.

If purchasing an external case, I would highly advise a combo unit (firewire/USB 2.0). The NEC drive has had some issues with firewire enclosures that use the Oxford 911 chipset, and seems to work better with the prolific chip based solutions.

Also, very few people have had success recording at 16x via USB 2.0 connections. There are quite a few threads about external cases and the NEC 3500A and BenQ 1620 over at http://club.cdfreaks.com
    Some people say dog is mans best friend. I say that man is dog's best slave... At least that is what my dogs think.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok. HELP!!!

I went out today and bought that Pioneer DVR- A08XL Internal DVD/DC Writer.

I removed my old DVD/CD Writer That originally came with my DELL 2400.. The old drive was set as the MASTER... By default the new drive was set as the master also.. So i popped it in correctly, got all the connections tight....I booted up and got this error SECONDARY DRIVE 1 NOT FOUND, STRIKE THE F1 KEY TO CONTINUE OR F2 FOR SETUP.

I wasnt sure what to do. So i hit continue. When i went into windows explorer. Neither of my CD Rom drives are recognizable.. I have one regular CD ROM drive and the new one which i just bought....

In the box, it came with 2 CD's.. But they are labled exactly the same.. same exact program list on both CD's. I figured it would have came with a floppy or some drivers for it.. but nothing... Anyone help me out? I havent done or tried anything else yet..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the retail drive you purchased came with a IDE CABLE then use that instead of the one you originally had. you can try posting your problem at the PIONEER FORUM at cdfreaks.com.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=87
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no cable came with it?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Pioneer DVR-108 $92.00 free shipping, at winlandcomputer.com,

http://www.winlandcomputer.com/scripts/listbymfg.asp?MFG=Pion

I'm sure that if you search around on the net. you probably can even find it cheaper. The only problem this is only the dvd burner, doesn't come with any useless outdated software that the expensive ones do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    buy a new 80 PIN IDE CABLE...
    some dell pc's IDE Cable is a cable select one which wouldn't be compatible with the 108 drive set on master.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    some dell pc's IDE Cable is a cable select one which wouldn't be compatible with the 108 drive set on master.
    how much do those normally run??? i mean.. it looks like this cable goes to my other CD rom drive too........dont have much expierince with this....
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    hmm wont work on slave eh??

guess i will put the old dvd burner back in for now until someone gives me info how to fix this.. if its that IDE cable i need (80).. then guess i have to get one eh? sucks my regular CD rom drive isnt getting recognized though..
    Quote Quote  
  28. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Evhmoon
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Pioneer 108 (A08)
    Capmaster..

is this the one you suggested????
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=314917&pfp=BROWSE
    Yep

Edit: Oops A little late with this reply.

Try removing the jumper entirely
    Quote Quote