VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi every1. I just got this recorder to transfer my old 8mm tapes of family movies. First of all. Any1 know if this is a good recorder?

Second, here is what I plan to do: I plan to just burn all the cassets to DVD without organizing them.

i then plan to go to my computer and that is where I want to cut out stuff from one file, add it to another, move things around, add some effects, menus, etc.... Can any1 help me out with this part? Is this even possible once the DVD is burned? If yes can you point to the best program for this sorta stuff. Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    you'll want to record to DVD-RW or DVD+RW and re-use the disks

copy the files to your hard disk on your PC
    remember that the video files will eat up your hard drive space fast
    so, you'll want to do some planning
    2 hours of video will take up almost 5GB

pull the files into a DVD authoring program and re-author

I personally don't go very fancy with my DVD menus, so I use TMPGEnc DVD Author
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks broadway I know that much though. I have DVD Author but it only lets you cut the file, plus I keep having these errors with it. But it doesnt let me cut a specified time, and then make it into a seperate file on another dvd or join it a different place. Plus I cant put in any effects into the videos. Its a very basic program that u can use for cutting out commercials, but not for what I want to do. Can any1 help me out. I am really lost. Do I need some sort of program to convert the vobs to mpegs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you plan to edit these file's you should not convert them to Mpeg2, much harder to edit and you will lose more quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sorry..just saw you where using a recorder, i have to get to bed...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zgrm100
    thanks broadway I know that much though. I have DVD Author but it only lets you cut the file, plus I keep having these errors with it. But it doesnt let me cut a specified time, and then make it into a seperate file on another dvd or join it a different place. Plus I cant put in any effects into the videos. Its a very basic program that u can use for cutting out commercials, but not for what I want to do. Can any1 help me out. I am really lost. Do I need some sort of program to convert the vobs to mpegs?
    as I understand it, the VOBs are essentially MPEG2 files

if you are looking for a more sophisticated editor, try the www.womble.com; others on this forum use their programs to edit MPEG2
    Quote Quote