VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine who is registering for this site but waiting for his posting day to come asked me for some advice, and this one has stumped me.

Source: Audio DVD
    Ripped: DVDBackup
    DVD2ONE: Gets each chapter as individual .VOB so each song is a .VOB

information shown on one .VOB

He infomred me that all attempts to demux this to get the audio alone have all failed. bbDemux just gives error, ffmpegx only give the video component.

I have never tried a audio dvd before so I have no idea what his next move should be.

Advice?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe try the transcoding features of VLC to save the audio to another format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG Streamclip, now that the vob is off the disc. Otherwise just rip with YadeX without saving the m2v part of the vob.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You don't mention what the end purpose is, but this situation made me curious. Although I love Streamclip, it does not seem to want to open audio only vobs for me.

The easiest way i found to extract the ac3 is to use FFMPEGX 0.0.9q (I only verified this with q)

1-Select DVD ffmpeg preset
    2-In video tab select passthrough and uncheck encode
    3-In the audio tab select passthrough but leave the encode checked.
    4-Hit encode.

This simply copies the ac3 part out of the vob so it's very fast. You can queue them all up and let them go: once you've set ffmpegx up all you need to do is drag and drop the other vobs onto the application and hit encode. The only issue is that ffmpegx neglects to add the ac3 extension with this setup, but there are many little utilities that can do that for you in batch.

Hope it helps. Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOBs, or video object files, always have video, even if its just one frame of a black still repeated to cover a 4-minute song.

AOBs, or audio object files (from DVD-Audio discs) have a different copy protection scheme than CSS and as yet I know of no computer applications that can rip them.

VOBs can be demuxed! What DVDs are you two working with?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's strange that the audio is 44.1 kHz. I've never seen DVD format encodes with 44.1 kHz audio, always 48 kHz. Maybe this isn't a regular DVD video, but an XVCD or something. It's strange because the audio is MPEG1, as in VCD format according to MPEGInfo, but the video is PAL resolution MPEG2. Something really fishy going on here. Where did this DVD come from? Was it commercially pressed?
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As far as i know, what he told me, its a Audio DVD that he is wanting to get the music out of as .mp3 or some format

the rip plays fine in apple dvd player so im almost ready to tell him to use WireTap while dvd player is giong and you got it as audio

heck, you dont even need to rip it this way
    i gave him this link and well see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG Info sometimes gives false results on some of its statistics. This disc sounds like these audio DVDs you can make with Toast (or previously, with that Applescript from Apple for iDVD). Since the disc "doesnt have video" my guess is this wacky creation came out of a Roxio product...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    I have never tried a audio dvd before so I have no idea what his next move should be.

Advice?
    in some cases where i have problems extracting the audio, mostly with some strange pcm audio files etc., i use mplayers dump audio feature which extracts the audio to a wav file which than can be converted to something else. i know that this is a dirty trick but helps if anything else fails 8)

mplayer -aid 128 -ao pcm -aofile output.wav -vc dummy -vo null input.VOB

change -aid to the number of the audio track you want to extract, 128 is the first, 129 the second etc. if memory serves me correctly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    It's strange that the audio is 44.1 kHz. I've never seen DVD format encodes with 44.1 kHz audio, always 48 kHz.
    DVDSP 3.02, as well as Toast 6.0 will allow you to create DVDs with
    44.1 khz aiff, as this is CD book standard audio.
    DVDSP will freek if you try an AC3 encoded at 44.1 though.
    When I get lazy and the audio is already AIFF 44.1,
    and don't feel like waiting for a whole batch to run through a.pack,
    DVDSP will let you import at that spec and go.

8)

sounds like it is an AUDIO DVD, with the audio encoded at
    CD Quality spec ( 44.1) but set to a track with video?
    Interesting, I wondered how they made those things,
    my wife is after me to buy the Linkin Park/Jay-Z one
    she saw at wal-mart. I might have to pick it up,
    just to rip it and see how they put it together.

But Galactica, good call on Wiretap ( or AHP) to be done and over with.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by alph
    You don't mention what the end purpose is, but this situation made me curious. Although I love Streamclip, it does not seem to want to open audio only vobs for me.

The easiest way i found to extract the ac3 is to use FFMPEGX 0.0.9q (I only verified this with q)

1-Select DVD ffmpeg preset
    2-In video tab select passthrough and uncheck encode
    3-In the audio tab select passthrough but leave the encode checked.
    4-Hit encode.

This simply copies the ac3 part out of the vob so it's very fast. You can queue them all up and let them go: once you've set ffmpegx up all you need to do is drag and drop the other vobs onto the application and hit encode. The only issue is that ffmpegx neglects to add the ac3 extension with this setup, but there are many little utilities that can do that for you in batch.

Hope it helps. Regards
    Hey guys!

Im the one with the problem (my first post here at videohelp.com)

The VOB file I have has NO ac3 audio, that's the problem I have. Most apps do not support demuxing VOB files that dont have ac3. The DVD I have is an original music DVD Enigma-Remember The Future... http://music.tetrap.com/items/1213.html

All apps I tried give me either no audio or just an error. So what I need ia an app that can demux VOB with PCM audio or something that can just convert it to DV...I like playing around with iDVD/DVD Studio Pro (making my own menus and stuff) and I have to test my new baby The Dual 2.5 G5..I have extracted all the video tracks from this DVD with DVD2one (chapter by chapter) leaving me with 12 VOB files.

/Gee
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK ... Thats just a DVD-Video of music videos. You should just use YadeX to rip the PCM audio (just decline to save the video stream when it asks you where to save it), then use PCMtoAIFF to fix the PCM stream with an AIFF header and you're done.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    OK ... Thats just a DVD-Video of music videos. You should just use YadeX to rip the PCM audio (just decline to save the video stream when it asks you where to save it), then use PCMtoAIFF to fix the PCM stream with an AIFF header and you're done.
    Sorry, YadeX does not work...it wont accept the single VOB files I have or will it accept VOB files within a VIDEO_TS folder
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YadeX will work on a VIDEO_TS folder from the HD, but I'd rather use the original disk if available. Another ripper I've never had fail is Extractor. Speaking of never failing, the old DVDExtractor 0.9b will still work in classic. Also, mpgtxwrap will demux a VOB but that one can do weird things. Gumby will do a VOB. Cinematize. The advanced options in VLC. Toast?
    I'm sure I'm missing a few more....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by TugBoat
    YadeX will work on a VIDEO_TS folder from the HD, but I'd rather use the original disk if available. Another ripper I've never had fail is Extractor. Speaking of never failing, the old DVDExtractor 0.9b will still work in classic. Also, mpgtxwrap will demux a VOB but that one can do weird things. Gumby will do a VOB. Cinematize. The advanced options in VLC. Toast?
    I'm sure I'm missing a few more....
    I have tried everything...bbdemux, mpeg2works4, toast, vlc, gumby, yade , QT and so on...nothing works...i get the video but NO audio...I have extracted ONLY the 12 music tracks from the DVD...all I have is 12 VOB files and nothing else...YadeX will not open a single VOB file or a single VOB file in a VIDEO_TS folder (that i made)

/Gee
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats not the way YadeX works. Use YadeX on the disc itself, not any files you've already extracted to your hard drive. The software will open the disc and you can then select which bits and pieces you want.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you used it on files you made? What happens when you use the disc? YadeX is made to use the Disc or Complete VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by TugBoat
    So you used it on files you made? What happens when you use the disc? YadeX is made to use the Disc or Complete VIDEO_TS folder.
    I used Yade on the disc and extracted the streams from the first chapter...I get these:

t1p1-00.m2v
    t1p1-00-en.pcm

The pmc audio file wont play in any app..it just does not work!..like I said, I tried everything...

/Gee
    Quote Quote  
  19. forgott to mention that I cant find PCMtoAIFF app that works with OS X
    Quote Quote  
  20. AT last!!

Found this app:

http://homepage1.nifty.com/~toku/software_en.html#a52decX

worked perfect!

VTS_01_1_T00.aiff...now maybe i can convert to DV and use it with iDVD...

Thanx guys
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://home.comcast.net/~appleguru/pcmtoaiff1.1.sit

You can use YadeX to breakdown the DVD to chapters and scenes, you don't have to save the whole DVD
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by TugBoat
    http://home.comcast.net/~appleguru/pcmtoaiff1.1.sit

You can use YadeX to breakdown the DVD to chapters and scenes, you don't have to save the whole DVD
    That's what i did...see my posts
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, DV uses uncompressed PCM for the audio, same as AIFF (which, like WAV, is a container most often used for PCM audio).
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  24. I too have a VOB that was extracted from a DVD with Yade that is causing me headaches. I am trying to demux the VOB so I can use it in DVD Studio Pro but most demux programs fail to give me uaseable audio. I have tried bbDEMUX which gave me a file with a .ac3 suffix but it could not be operated on with any ac3 tools. Demuxing with ffmpegx yielded a video file only (no audio). Demuxing with Gumby (mpeg fixer) gave me multiple m2v video files and multiple mp1 audio files; none of the audio files were useable. Same for demux using mpgtx. The audio tab in Gumby said it could not handle the task. Using extractor I get the m2v video file and a .pcm audio file. Extractor reports that the audio is 44.1k (not 48k!). I tried to convert the PCM audio with PCMtoAIFF but that gave me an .aiff file that was only irritating noise (leading me to believe that the PCM source file really is 44.1k; PCMtoAIFF only handles 48k and 96k).

I should mention that the VOB is playable with mplayer; audio and all. QuickTime will play it sans audio.

So, the ONLY utility that I have found to give me usable audio is MissingMpegEdit. I just opened the VOB in MME and it automatically extracted the audio (without me commanding it to do anything) and opened QuickTime player which played the clip with audio just fine. MME extracted the audio into a separate file with a .aiff suffix which is playable by any number of players and can be used with DVD Studio Pro.

You want might try MME with your problem VOBs.[/list]
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Where on Earth are you people finding these outlandishly misauthored DVDs??
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm not sure the DVD is misauthored. It played fine in a variety of DVD players and I was able to extract from it with yade. The extracted VOBs play fine in mplayer aand vlc (but not QT with mp2 components). I'm guessing that the tools that I am using (mostly share/free-ware) are not handling all of the cases properly. I reported earlier that extractor said the audio in the VOB was 44.1k. Well vlc reports the audio as 48k and plays it just fine.

But now MissingMpegEdit has quit working for me. It won't even launch. When I double click it I see movement in the dock as if it's going to open but it doesn't. There are no error messages, it just won't launch. I even downloaded it from the `Net again. Any clues as to what might be going on here?

Also, a couple of people have mentioned in other posts that VLC and mplayer have options to export the (demux'd) audio but I can't figure out how one might do that. Is this a possible alternative for me (now that MME won't launch).

thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you can get VLC to export something usefull, then mister you're a better man than I.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since these are short songs, you could always do it the hard way with "Wiretap" a freeware from Ambrosia software. Just make sure you change the preferences for saving to No Compression. Edit and export with Audacity. Play the movie clips and save the sound as you go.
    Quote Quote  
  29. OK, so I tried WireTapPro as some have suggested. I downloaded it and paid for it. It works great for capturing audio on short movie clips but anything over ~13 minutes and WireTapPro will hang my system. And I do mean hang! The only way that I have found to recover is to mash the reset button on my computer. Most unfriendly (and dangerous to disk drive file systems).

Is anyone else using WireTapPro experiencing this? I emailed AmbrosiaSW abot it and they pointed me to a new version that they are about release but it exhibits the same problem.

Also, any help on why MissingMpegEdit will not launch on my machine would be appreciated. I double click it and it acts like it's gonna launch but it doesn't. Does MME depend on other programs being present in order to function?

thanks
    Quote Quote