VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVmadman
    Also, any help on why MissingMpegEdit will not launch on my machine would be appreciated.
    Try checking console and system logs for clues. The Console utility [usually in /Applications/Utilities] is one way of viewing them.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I figured out the problem why some of my apps wouldn't launch. Applications visible in finder are actually special directories. If you control-click on any app you will see an option for "show package contents". If you select this you see the components of the application in subdirectories.

Using my knowledge of unix, I fired up the terminal program and looked at the subdirectories under the applications that do not launch. I found that the directory and file permissions did not match the apps that do launch. So I changed the permissions to match and now all my apps launch and function just fine.

In retrospect maybe doing a "repair permissions" from disk utility would have fixed this. I'll try that the next time I encounter this problem.[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you resolved it.

Repairing disk permissions won't touch any third party software, only affects OX files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I tried WireTapPro as some have suggested. I downloaded it and paid for it. It works great for capturing audio on short movie clips but anything over ~13 minutes and WireTapPro will hang my system. And I do mean hang! The only way that I have found to recover is to mash the reset button on my computer. Most unfriendly (and dangerous to disk drive file systems).

Is anyone else using WireTapPro experiencing this? I emailed AmbrosiaSW abot it and they pointed me to a new version that they are about release but it exhibits the same problem.
    I had this problem with the free Wiretap a few months ago, it worked for short clips but it was crashing (hard, locked up my PB) part way through a 90 minute recording. I eventually deleted it and used Audio Hijack.
    Tim Houghton
    Website Photography
    Quote Quote  
  5. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out the problem why some of my apps wouldn't launch. Applications visible in finder are actually special directories. If you control-click on any app you will see an option for "show package contents". If you select this you see the components of the application in subdirectories.

Using my knowledge of unix, I fired up the terminal program and looked at the subdirectories under the applications that do not launch. I found that the directory and file permissions did not match the apps that do launch. So I changed the permissions to match and now all my apps launch and function just fine.

In retrospect maybe doing a "repair permissions" from disk utility would have fixed this. I'll try that the next time I encounter this problem.
    Nice catch (and useful info which I intend to remember), but I thought you re-downloaded the problem app - I don't understand why that didn't solve this problem.

And, no offence, just a friendly suggestion - you also might want to avoid the phrase "using my knowledge of unix" - that sounded terrible :P
    Tim Houghton
    Website Photography
    Quote Quote