+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Let us know if you get it to work.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried AlvinLee's bypass method and it works. It isn't a breeze, but not a problem if you don't print alot of disks. I used verbatim inkjet printable disks and they look great. Much better than labels.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I do print a lot of discs. About 1000 a month, give or take, depending on how many video tapes people bring me to convert over to dvd for them. I'll hold out for the cannon. Cmon Arklab!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi, guys
    Well, tonight I'm kinda stalled untill my iP3000 gets here.
    I think I've accumulated just about everything else I'll need (except maybe common sense).

Now awaiting the project is:

1) Two brands of white inkjet ptintable DVD +R disks.
    2) An assortment of eight brands of DVD -R disks, both white and silver.
    3) Some CD-R printables (One brand from long ago)
    4) A CD/DVD tray from Epson (to see if it is adaptable to the Canon Pixma)
    5) An extra set of ink cartreges.
    6) A digital camera.

So we are ready to go.
    Can anyone think of anything else?

canadateck;
    I've been looking and looking at those pics. The indicated location
    may indeed be a sensor or the location for one.
    I'll have to compair to my UK when I get it. Does it emit a light? It seems to be part of the printhead carrier, and would thus not initially "notice a CD Tray. So something else may first "notice" the presence of the tray.?

What is the little lever above the piece of paper?
    I can't figure it out.

When my UK machine arrives the first order of business should be to track and document every step in the path of the tray. Then we can compair with a US version.

Well, so much for now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do the Canon printers use an external tray like the Epsons or is it integrated?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just like the epson. its all in the posts. read em, its enjoyable and enlightenong. Well, not really, but it could be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Is there any inkjet DVD printer under a $1000 that has an integrated tray?
    Quote Quote  
  8. sync,
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by
    Is there any inkjet DVD printer under a $1000 that has an integrated tray?
    Both the R-series Epson's and non-US Canon Pixma's have what I think of as an Intrgrated Solution for printing directly to a CD or DVD.
    By that I mean that the printer and it's drivers are set-up by the factory to print to a CD as easily as a sheet of paper.

Without being glib, what more do you want?

Perhaps if you could tell us what you want a printer to do we could be more helpfull.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mike1061
    If I buy a cannon printer from Canada (from like Ebay) will it work on USA's 120 volt electricity?
    I believe you have to use Canada's 120 Volt electricity. USA's 120 Volt electricity is not compatable. ..................LOL
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm referring to a printer that has a built-in tray like a computer.
    Originally Posted by arklab
    sync,
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean by
    Is there any inkjet DVD printer under a $1000 that has an integrated tray?
    Both the R-series Epson's and non-US Canon Pixma's have what I think of as an Intrgrated Solution for printing directly to a CD or DVD.
    By that I mean that the printer and it's drivers are set-up by the factory to print to a CD as easily as a sheet of paper.

Without being glib, what more do you want?

Perhaps if you could tell us what you want a printer to do we could be more helpfull.
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, if I understand you, you would like something that prints lables to CD's and fits in an unused 5 1/4" computer bay. If that's it it is a neat idea, but does not exist at any price.

If, however, you want a printer that has a designated spot to neetly and accurately feed a CD into the print mechanism I think ether the Epson R-200, R-300, or R-800 will fill the bill well.
    The same can be said for the European, Asian, Austrailian, New Zeland (and everywhere except US and Canada) Canon Pixma printers iP3000, iP4000( &4000R), iP5000, iP6000 and iP8500, as well as being much better printers for most tasks (IMHO).

I suggest you click on the link below and download the iP3000 CD-R Print Guide[PDF]
    http://alpha03.c-wss.com/inc/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900
    You will have to select the "manuals" button TWICE for some reason.

This will give you an excellent overview of how ALL these printers handle CD/DVD printing (the Epson's, too).

Prices (for someone in the US) range from $100 for the Epson R-200 to $150 for a UK version of the iP3000 , and (at the very top end with EIGHT colors of ink) the iP8500 for roughly $500.

Hope this helps.

PS - much of this thread has become a search for ways to convert the US pixmas to print on CD's like their UK brothers. Were getting closer, but not quite there.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think he wants a hopper-fed CD/DVD label printer so he can print lots of disks without manually changing the disk in the caddy and then have to reinsert it each time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that my UK Canon ip5000 was shipped today from expansys-usa.com and scheduled delivery is Wednesday. When I ordered it on the 3rd it said "Usually Ships in 10 Days" and it went like clockwork, because they even beat that schedule since I will actually have it within 10 days. I must admit they seem to have a very efficient operation (plus prices) to order UK products from.

Since I was waiting on Arklab to get his printer first to check out being able to switch out power supplies I got caught with not having it or a voltage converter. I went ahead and ordered a voltage converter today but my printer will arrive much sooner. I was also hoping Arklab would get his first so if I had any questions with software installation or questions about actually using the printer to print dvds he would have already figured everything out, but hopefully his will arrive shortly.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  14. but hopefully his will arrive shortly.
    Boy, I'll say!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL. Ok, thats 2 peeps geting this printer. CMON hurry up and convert them!! lol
    Quote Quote  
  16. Sorry if these questions have been asked already before, but do these UK Canon printers use dye or pigment ink (a la Epson's Durabrite)?

Also, will the US refills be compatible with these UK models?

I was thinking of splurging on the R800 because of the pigment ink; but seems like so many of you guys think the Canons are better...

Spiffy
    Quote Quote  
  17. spiffy;
    but do these UK Canon printers use dye or pigment ink (a la Epson's Durabrite)?
    Also, will the US refills be compatible with these UK models?
    The inks are the same worldwide.
    All Pixmas use dye-bases inks for all colors and for photo black. Most photo review sites seem to consider this better than pigment for photos, but require a smaller nozzle (2pl) which clogs when pigment ink is used.
    It is also though by some that the dye sinks into the printable surface of DVD's for less smudging and faster drying.

The iP3000, 4000, & 5000 have a large pigment black for text printing and three dye based colors.
    The iP4000 & 5000 also add a fifth dye based black for photo print, but differ only in nozzle size (2pl for 4000, 1pl for 5000).
    The iP6000 and iP8500 drop the large pigment black and are really for photo printing.
    The iP6000 adds two more photo colors for the usual six.
    The iP8500 adds yet another two (red & green) for a total of eight.

There are, of course, some other differences between models - like print speed, wireless and IR print, noise, etc..

ANYONE about to BUY one should first go to the Canon website for several differnt countries and download the brochures and manuals - then read and compare!

You can get to all of 'em from http://www.canon.com

What we are trying to do here is re-enable the direct CD/DVD Tray printing in the US/Canada pixmas, which is available standard on all other Pixmas.
    Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got my ip5000 today and yes indeed it was the UK model! I probably forgot to mention in earlier posts that the email you get from expansys (after buying) gives you a link to their site showing your order. My order showed that it was ordered from the UK and if I clicked on Canon ip5000 on my order it took you to that model on their UK website, further proof that you got the UK version.

That said, here I'm setting with a printer alot of people would like to have and I can't plug it in (lol). My voltage converter is on the way but I'm still interested in maybe changing out the power supply if arklab finds this is foolproof and easy to do.

Arklab do you for see any problems with installing UK drivers and software and or if it might ask you what country you are installing this in and that effecting the outcome?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Is anyone still working on a US model? I have an ip4000 that I got for $45 after rebate, so I am not interested in a UK model, but would love to know how to convert the US one. Are we waiting to compare mccoady and arklab's UK ones with the US ones? Or is someone still working on the US one too? Haven't heard about that in a few days.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by brookelh
    Is anyone still working on a US model? I have an ip4000 that I got for $45 after rebate, so I am not interested in a UK model, but would love to know how to convert the US one. Are we waiting to compare mccoady and arklab's UK ones with the US ones? Or is someone still working on the US one too? Haven't heard about that in a few days.
    Sure!
    But still waiting on shipment.

I really wish I had known about expansys before I had placed my order.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So macdaddy ahs the printer, arklab has the us power supply, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Up and running and just awesome, just awesome did I say awesome! Hookup to voltage converter went smoothly and software and driver installation went without a hitch. The only thing I was concerned about during installation was where it asked you what country you were installing printer in but US was already ticked so left it there and everything works fine.

I printed a couple dvds using CD-Label Print and after making a new template for Hub Printable 22mm inner and 118mm outer ( using Ty and Prodisc), it worked flawlessly. The dvds came out almost dry to the touch but I would probably give it 5 to 10 minutes to be on the safe side. I wish I knew the dimensions for non Hub Printable disc so I could play with that but maybe someone will post them.

Even though Cd-Label Print works fine for me I would like to figure out how to print dvds from my Acoustica software, I'll just have to play with it.

Anyway well worth the money and the wait because it is so much easier than I anticipated to print on media. Just get your label ready to print and then click print. A screen then comes up and asks you to insert disc (on tray) and you can only shove it in partway, click okay or print and it pulls it in and does the rest. Amazing, I can see why everyone loves to print with their Epson printers although I can't help wondering if this is a smoother operation.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine got me a PIXMA iP3000 from Europe. It prints the disc for a minute compared to ~4mins for R200 to do the same job. The cartridges look really easy to refill. At www.inkgrabber.com they have them for $2.50 each!
    The only thing I don't like is the printing software. When you stretch the picture out of the printing area the markers go "under" it and after that you have to move the whole picture around in order to make it exactly fit. This is really annoying - much easier with R200 software.
    Other than that the printer is great! R200 is history!

Enjoy!
    Quote Quote  
  24. mccoady'
    Just get your label ready to print and then click print. A screen then comes up and asks you to insert disc (on tray) and you can only shove it in partway, click okay or print and it pulls it in and does the rest.
    Since I can't look at mine yet could you sequience just what happens - when - during CDprint?

I take it that:
    1) ... insert disc ... can only shove it in partway
    2) The tray must be stopped by something ... what?
    3) You ... click okay or print ...
    4) The "something" drops/pivots/raises/(?) out of the way(?)
    5) then the (feed rollers?) at the (front?) of the tray guide (above/bellow?) and it pulls it in
    6) (Then?) the thing that carries the print-head goes from side to side(?).
    7) If the lights are dim, I can just see (red/white/blue?) LEDs shining on the reflector squares(?).
    8. The LEDs seem to be attached to the (printhead-carrier?)/(bar above/behind/(?)) the (?).
    9) The LEDs (move/don't move?) back and forth to verify the tray position(?)
    10) The printer (does/dosen't?) seem to verify the "printability" of the CD/DVD(?)
    11) If I try printing on a regular CD, the printer will(?)
    12) Only now(?) does the actual printing begin.
    13) If I select the (other/second/lesser) type of printable CD in driver "media type" selector, (what changes?)
    14) As the tray is ejected at the completion of printing, (?) is reset/happens.

I realize this is quite a lot, but would give us a lot of clues, esp. those who have a US version. They can use the registry hack and see just where things DON'T behave the same.

Oh, I heard about a trick to allow the printer to, well - print when the cover is raised; thus allowing you to see the printing as it happens.

Open the cover and look around the back of the cover, near the hinges I think. You should see a small, black post in the shape of a cross sticking up.
    It is said that if you tape this fully down the printer will work with the cover up.

Good Luck, and get back.
    My mouth is watering
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well arklab I've not very good about doing things like this, I barely know how to set up the printer so I'm may not be the one to provide much help. First I do not see the post around the hinges that would allow you to keep the cover open so I can only guess on what's going on.

1. You first setup your label to print and click print and it says it is getting the printer ready. After about 5 seconds it asks you to insert tray and line up arrows on tray with arrows on drawer. You actually only insert tray about 1/3 way in, then click okay. It then pulls the trays in and it shuffles it in and out a little I guess to line things up.

2. I think what stops the tray from going in until it's ready is the white piano keys at the bottom rear.

4. When it does pull the tray in some of the white keys raise up and the tray goes underneath.

5. There are rollers underneath the white keys, that's what rolls the tray in and out.

6. Yes, then the printhead carriage goes back and forth to print and I think it maybe does raise up at some point.

7. Don't know anything about leds.

10, 11, 12. I tried printing on the data side of the disc just to see if it would begin printing and it did. So it will print on anything when tray is inserted.

13. Not sure what you're asking but the software defaults to "Printable disc (recommended)" If you pick something like glossy instead you get a different screen (than normal) asking you to insert tray sized paper.

14. The printing process itself is very fast, maybe 30 seconds from time tray is pulled in until it pushes it back out to print a dvd. The dvd is printing as the tray is being pushed out. It's also very quiet.

Don't know if this has helped at all, as I said I'm not very good figuring things out and descibing what's going on. Maybe you will get your printer shortly and you can do a thorough investgation of it's inner workings.

One more thing I would like to add is I have been printing on TY and Prodisc white inkjet hub printable disc, and clearly the Prodisc has the better printed surface. It's too bad TY is better quality for burning altough I have had some success with the Prodisc. After printing the Prodisc has more of a shiny smooth surface more like what you would fine in retail dvds. The TY printed dvds are still better than having to write on your disc just not as nice looking as the former.

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the new HP Lightscribe technology invading the CD/DVD writer circuit this year, all this printer madness will fall by the wayside VERY soon. I'm going to wait for the new Benq.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slacker
    With the new HP Lightscribe technology invading the CD/DVD writer circuit this year, all this printer madness will fall by the wayside VERY soon. I'm going to wait for the new Benq.
    Humm, not sure about this. The HP lightscribe will take 20 minutes to print a complete disc. And it only prints in B/W- shades of grey. No colors. Nothing to do with current printers.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by slacker
    This ISN"T new! Well, OK, maybe it is for HP, but it's been here before and that we can't even remember the company or names sais a lot!
    There is NO color.
    It's kinda hard to see.
    It takes a special disk to work best.

I don't think Canon or Epson are going to loose sleep over this one.
    In fact it probably will increase their sales, as when people have there taste of direct DVD printing, they will want the best looking output.

If they didn't we really could get along quite nicely with black and white dot-matrix printers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with you to a point. I think the appearance of Lightscribe will spur the printer manufacturers on to step up design in this area.

But can't you see laser color capability down the road? Seems inevitable. And it is so convenient.

Who knows?
    Quote Quote