VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the info.

RickTheRed
    I was asking about the ink running, comparing the Cannon to the Epson. Epson has a reputation for the ink not drying completly. People even sell spray to coat the ink. I have not bought a Epson for this reason, I just don't want to be bothered with this. And electricity because Europe's is 240 volts (I belive), and ours is 120. I do see this has been addressed also.

So does anybody know if the ink on the cannon runs like the epson?
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Epson inks dry just fine. But they'll run if you get them wet, which is why a lot of people seal them. Any dye based ink will run if you get it wet, not just epson.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    arklab, its called a transformer I belive. I did about 7 years over in Spain and Siciliy while in the Navy and thats what we used on our stereo systems... I think thats what it was called. We didnt have any way to change the 50 htz to 60 htz though, out turntables played a tad bit slower. LOL.

I think the power switch out is best as well. Im still going to see if the American version will print a dvd/cd.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Poppa_Meth
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mike,
    Poppa is right.
    I always make sure the disc has time to dry for 24h before playing or touching. After that, you are fine. You do not need to seal. Some do to add a glossy look. Do not forget: coasters must be waterproof
    @disturbed
    490$ for a modified I950 are they ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm. I just did my first printable DVD using a Canon i865 and Ritek printable DVD+R. I decided to print first and then burn, perhaps not the right order but anyway almost as soon as it was printed the ink was dry.

Larry
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL. thats not the way to do it indeed. Boy are u lucky. that would have been a messy sit if it blew off inside ur burner. LOL.

I never have a problem with wet discs, its like saying electricity is bad because it doesnt re-act well with H2O.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I guess I was so keen to try out the printer I couldn't wait to burn the DVD first To mitigate matters a bit, I was just copying an existing DVD to the newly printed disk so I knew it would author and burn okay

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RickThe Red
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  10. If anyone is still following this thread, this is the type of voltage converter I was refering to.
    http://www.lashen.com/vendors/TRV/Default.asp

The actual power supply on the pixma iP3000 printer is extreamly light and not even vented. Just a plastic box with a printed circuit board inside, by apearance.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    arklab
    I have two questions still.
    1) Did the power supply change work?
    2) If it did, which one did you use?
    Though I was leaning to just ordering one already working from the other link.
    Thanks Mike
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got both a Canon ip3000 and an ip4000. Bought the ip3000 originally and realised that I wanted the darker blacks for photo printing so I gave it to my daughter and bought the ip4000. Both are easy to use for DVD/CD direct printing. I've been using Princos as the media and the matt printable surface dulls the colours a bit, but not enough to spoil photos of people on the label. ( I record a lot of sermons and I like to put pictures of the preacher and the church logo on the label.)

Love the duplex printing too - after printing one side of the page it suck it back from the output slot - no jams yet. These Canons should be relatively cheap general/photo printers to run here in Australia.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mAN, i SO WANT A CANNON TO PRINT MY DVD's . There are some super sales going on here (usa), but I'm waiting for a guinni pig to buy one and see if it can be modded relitively inexpensively.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Darn email system

Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    jimmalenko , where u at?
    Australia.

Originally Posted by Michelle
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Sorry to rain on the parade here, but I've got a canon i865 and it's faaaaaaaantastic IMO

I buy my ink in bulk from a cartridge refiller and refill them myself.

There's no wait for drying or need to spray.

I'm one happy camper
    Why is there no need for drying or spray?
    It dries almost instantly, and I'm yet to see any smudging, so therefore there's no wait for drying or need to spray

canadateck PMed me and we found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=47752&item=6728218214&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

German, so most likely it has the CD/DVD addon.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. mike1061
    arklab
    I have two questions still.
    1) Did the power supply change work?
    2) If it did, which one did you use?
    Actually, neither as yet. This morning T4 Cameras e-mailed me that the iP3000 had just come in, and mine was shipping today.
    They also said to allow two to three weeks, although I think it will take less.

I already have the US Canon power supply inhand, so no waiting for that.

If you can, you might just want to wait for a bit, as I have several questions which might be much easer to answer after my UK machine gets here.

1) Are the Epson and Canon CD/DVD Trays inter-changable? I have located a source that charges only $5 each.

2) Is there any leds present (used to center/control the feeding of the tray during printing) in the UK but not in the US Pixmas?

3) Can the plastic "plug" which seems to block the tray path in US printers be easily removed?

4) Does the freely downloadable DVD Print Software that comes with Epson R200/R300 printers work juswt as well with the Canon Pixmas??

5) If the above workout, does that mean that all you need to do to print directly to DVDs with US Canon Pixma Printers is pry out one plastic piece, download some free software, and buy a $5 tray???

Stay Tuned
    Stay Cool
    Quote Quote  
  16. Oh, and I just checked out that e-bay offer.

The cost to buy and ship an iP3000 from UK to US is $200.
    Add another $20 for power supply solution.

And thats brand NEW.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    arklab I've been monitoring this thread I'm sure interested in what all you find out, I sure would like to have an iP3000 or iP4000 that's prints on dvds. My only concern would be if be if you had a problem with the printer what would you do, could you get warranty service? I can't wait for you to get your printer, I've been holding off to get an Epson R200 to see if something better came along.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yea, I just afraid it will take a while for the UK printer to get to my house, esp. right at Xmas time!

I would REALLY like to figure a way for everyone to be able to "hack" a US printer to a UK version, and it should be fairly easy to do if it's really suscessfull.

It is obvious that the US Pixmas are just "crippled" versions of the overall plan. What remains to be seen is just how much effort and cost Canon put into that. I mean, did they find it cheaper to just "plug" the tray hole and build the rest of the printer like the UK's, or do they leave out critical bits of electronics and build a fundamentaly DIFFERENT printer?

Time will tell.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks
    Keep us posted
    Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yttdsfoaccsh

My book mark to find this thread again. I definately wanna hear more when u get ur printrer ark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    bump. Anything yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ha, I brought an r210 based on that everyone was buying r200 in the US. Being in Oz, I had the choice, but didn't know there was no choice in the US.
    Have a nice Day
    Quote Quote  
  23. I bought the Canon i865 since it looked better than the Epson (less hassle to refill) only to find 3 weeks later that I could have got the ip3000 for about $10 more Oh well, they are about the same except the ip3000 does duplex automatically and is a bit sleeker looking

The i865 prints DVD's just fine

Larry
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arklab I may go ahead and order a UK ip4000, but how did you go about ordering a US power supply? Did you just ask for a replacement power supply they (Canon Parts) assuming you had a US printer? Did you have to give any info?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Why bother with a UK power supply? Just go to your local electronics place (I would suggest Frys but I don't think they are in your state) and get a 110v to 240V step up transformer. I have bought many of those things and they either step up or down depending on which end you plug into the AC supply

I doubt if the Canon cares if it's getting 240V att 60Hz or 50Hz since I am sure internally the AC voltage is rectified to DC before it goes anywhere near the electronics
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    okay I may do that, I'm not too knowledgeable about things like this. I just thought (according to Arklab) it would be easy to replace the UK power supply with a US one. I would just hate to accidently (or someone else in my family) unplug the printer from the transformer and not get it plugged back in to it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by arklab
    Oh Boy,

If anyone else is thinking of ordering from a UK store, please give consideration as to just which Canon Pixma you might want, as you will NOT want to change your mind AFTER you pay all that extra money.

A Brief rundown on Pixma’s (as I understand them).
    1) Pixma’s under the iP3000 DO NOT HAVE THE CD PRINTING, no matter WHERE you buy them.

[/i]
    I have print more than 100 Disc on this Printer Pixma IP3000

I just get another Pixma IP4000 .. and print about 20 of them...

check this www.msy.com.au
    Quote Quote  
  28. I've seen many posts about the Epson r200 ink smear problems and the claim that Canon's does not. I have no experience with the Canon, but do with the r200. I spray mine with Krylon Satin, a couple very light coats, and it works perfect. I think the Canon will also have a problem if you get them wet for this reason: I took a dvd printable that was a coaster. I wet the printable surface and the white surface came off super easy. I can best describe the surface as a coat of "white-out" sprayed on the surface. Think about it, the surface has to be porous to accept the ink. I don't care what kind of printer you have, if you don't seal the surface, the coating will wash off. The only reason I would be interested in the Canon printer is that I hear that they are easy to refill and don't have head clogging problems like the Epsons.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Quick update ... still waiting for delivery, but hope for this week.
    UK ParcelForce tracking shows it left the "international hub" (whatever that is) on the 27th of Dec., but that was posted on the 24th! Maybe they were giving a projected date.
    It also seems that they may not be able to track after the item has left the UK and been handed off to some other carrier.
    Oh well...

Arklab I may go ahead and order a UK ip4000, but how did you go about ordering a US power supply? Did you just ask for a replacement power supply they (Canon Parts) assuming you had a US printer? Did you have to give any info?
    I just called US Canon parts and told them I had recieved a UK iP3000 and could I get a US power supply for it?
    No problem and very helpfull. $12 plus $5 shipping and came the next day.
    But don't try this till I do and see if it works

I wet the printable surface and the white surface came off super easy. I can best describe the surface as a coat of "white-out" sprayed on the surface.
    This is real intresting. I have bought two types of white inkjet printable blanks and I'll try this. I planned on doing a rather sever "smudge test" by allowing 12 to 24 hour drying time, them place under running hot water followed by detergent and scrubbing.
    Yea I know it's gonna run, but how much?
    Will it still be readable?

There are also silver inkjet printable blanks, and THERMAL printables, too.
    Just like recording quality, I expect there are "smudge" differences, too.

It also makes you wonder if you could "make your own" printables via some kind of spray, just like a sealer coat.

Lottsa stuff to discover as yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you get this soon and report as my r200 just gave me the dreaded: Parts inside your printer are near the end of their service life. See your printer documentation report.

I have another new r200 and an r300 standing by to go into use, but if the cannon power swap works well then im going to do the same.
    Quote Quote