VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can not find any combination of parameters/settings that will let me encode a MsMPEG4v2 .avi, which is kind of important because, although it is not the best codec going, it is the best codec that any semi-up-to-date, off-the-shelf windows box can play without unstalling ANYTHING.
    I keep getting:
    "Error while opening codec for stream #0.0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate, width or height"
    I've been using various QTs (mjpeg, animation [100%], different widths, heights and framerates) as input

Is anyone familiar with encoding to MsMPEG4 (v1 or v2), and any idiosyncracies i should know about? I used to have success about a 9-12 months ago, but can't seem to get it to fly with the last couple of versions.
    0.0.9q on OS X 10.3.6, dual 1.8 GHz G5 with 1gig RAM, Quicktime 6.5.2

on another note, i can't seem to get anywhere (with any conversion format, but QT as source) when "decode with quicktime" is checked: an applescript error pops up saying "variable _frameratey is not set?
    Quote Quote  
  2. It is a bug, sorry. I will fix it for release in 0.0.9r.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1) THANKS for such a quick (and good news) reply
    2) the MsMPEG4 problems are a bug, or the "decode with quicktime-variable _frameratey not set"? or both?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Bug, and for the other error, have you entered a framerate value manually?
    Quote Quote  
  5. no, but after a little further testing, maybe this occurs when the source framerate is not one of the three defaults (I tried with 29.97 source and got no error, but with a 24.00 fps source, it threw the error)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are you using a dot or a comma to separate the decimal part?
    Quote Quote  
  7. dot. and that's just leaving the framerate as detected, not manually typing in a new one. in other words, drag a 24.00 fps (or 18.00, etc) quicktime on to ffmpegx, DON'T fiddle with framerate, set it to encode (let's say MPEG4 [.AVI] (ffmpeg)), and in options, set it to decode using quicktime. Press encode, and voila, applescript alert/error.
    Quote Quote