VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering if anyone has success recording widescreen video using the JVC M10 and maintaing the widescreen format?

I was attempting to record a 16:9 video clip I made using my camcorder to the JVC M10 using the s-video hookup to a dvd-rw, what I got was regular TV format (full screen) with black bars on the top and bottom.

Also the widescreen video I capture from Direct TV also shows in full screen mode only. I thought that the recorder was able to keep the original format of the video.

I must admit I haven't really researched this subject, yet I would like to know if someone has done it successfully and how were you able to do so.

Thanks to any advice given.
    Do unto others....with a vengeance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You might try a RAM. The Panasonic manual says that with DVD-R it will be fullscreen regardless of input format, it doesn't say anything about RAM recording fullscreen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think if you use the firewire input instead, the 16:9 flag from the digital camcorder footage is included in the stream to the DVD recorder and should work. If you would rather transfer over the analog input (to color correct, etc.), you can always rip the resulting MPG from your recorded DVD-RW and add the 16:9 flag with Restream, then author the final DVD on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC doesn't work well using DVD-ram so that doesn't seem to be an option. Yet this Restream (thingy)sounds interesting, I think I will give it a try.

Thanks for the replies.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    samijubal,

RAM has nothing to do with aspect ratio.

ejai,

First of all, you need to go to set up to:

Function set up
    Video In/Out
    Monitor Type

and set your monitor type to 16:9 fixed.

I captured footage from Sony D8 camcorder recorded in 16:9 mode via FireWire and JVC played it back perfectly. I am not sure about S-Video
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kabanero
    First of all, you need to go to set up to:

Function set up
    Video In/Out
    Monitor Type

and set your monitor type to 16:9 fixed.

I captured footage from Sony D8 camcorder recorded in 16:9 mode via FireWire and JVC played it back perfectly. I am not sure about S-Video
    I will look into this as well, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will changing the monitor option of how you see the video also change the way it is recorded? I thought this option was just to correctly set your type of monitor that you were watching so that the aspect ratio would be correctly displayed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is for output, not input.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I know some cameras don't support true widescreen format. I don't know much about JVC but I know Canon's Elura models do, as they use the full width of the CCD.
    Quote Quote