VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Could someone explain the best way to connect the E85 to a 16:9 hdtv and the E85's settings in the setup menu ?

I have a Dish 508 PVR and get an excellent picture when it's hooked direct to my hdtv with S-Vid but when I run S-Vid to my E85 and component from E85 to tv, it looks terrible. If I run an S-vid out of the E85 to a 2nd S-Vid input on the tv, it looks better but still not as good as the direct connection from Sat to TV.

I've read that others are making dvds from satellite programs in SP without any pq loss but I've not been able to achieve this. I usually record onto the E85's HD in SP and then high speed dub to dvd-r but it just doesn't look that good. On the other hand, if I do the same with an HD signal from my Dish 811 (also via an S-Vid cable) it comes out pretty darn good.

Walt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a bit surprised that using the component inputs yields such a bad picture. Are you confident the cables are good? And are you sure that the TV is set to "progressive" for the input?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    I'm a bit surprised that using the component inputs yields such a bad picture. Are you confident the cables are good? And are you sure that the TV is set to "progressive" for the input?
    I've switched and even bought new component cables. Actually if I play a commerical dvd it looks fine through this connection. It's something about running SD signals from my satellite receivers through it that doesn't come out right.

As for setting the TV to "progressive" for the component input, I'm not sure there actually is a specific setting for that - at least not labeled as such. The TV has 2 component inputs. One has my Toshiba dvd player hooked to it and the other the E85. Both machines play commerical dvds quite well - great pq and the aspect ratio always seems appropiate to the 16:9 TV.

Walt
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does the Toshiba player picture look good on the TV with the component inputs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Does the Toshiba player picture look good on the TV with the component inputs?
    Yes and I've swapped component inputs and cables around with the E85.

Of course there's no way to pass the sat signal through the Toshiba since it's just a player. The E85 also looks good when playing a commerical dvd.

It's only satellite SD signals that seem to be a problem with the E85. Both my Dish 508 PVR and 811 HD receivers give relativly good SD signals from S-Vid connections direct to the tv - even when stretched in Cinerama mode.

The problem is when I run S-Vid connections from the 508 or the 811 to the E85 and then run components out of the E85 to the TV - that connection looks terrible, especially if I have progressive scan turned on.

Now if I run an S-Vid out of the E85 to the tv, it's not as bad as the component connection but still noticably worse than the straight sat to tv connections. I've tried different cables and inputs but I just can't get a decent SD signal into the E85.

With my 811 HD receiver into the E85 and it looks real good if the 811 is tuned to an HD signal. I can actually make a decent dvd at SP speed to the hard drive and high-speed dub to dvd-r. Hardly any loss in pq.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Walt
    Quote Quote