VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this thread is rather old but wanted to add some info. for those who may have professional or studio-quality S-VHS players with full-field TBC.

First, generally integrated TBC does NOT address the problem of Macrovision on VHS tapes. Time-based correction was and is a high-end feature that compensates for poor-quality VHS tapes by minimizing horizontal jitter and some types of interference. So most studio-editing S-VHS players with TBC (Panasonic, JVC) do not remove Macrovision protection and external boxes are required. As was mentioned in a previous post in this thread, some have replaced a few capacitors to correct for the macrovision but this voids almost every warranty (as you can imagine) and if done incorrectly can permanently damage the VHS.

Also, external TBC units don't work nearly as effectively as S-VHS decks with TBC built in.

Some models of cheaper capture cards will simply ignore Macrovision but some of the newer ATI capture cards (with 550 or 650 theater pro chipsets) have macrovision-detection circuitry that will make the capture (or preview) look like massive signal interference, almost like total corruption.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for making my purchase of a switcher for way too much money several years ago, worth something. It has TBC and is sitting nicely under a DVD recorder now. I think I can set it up to blank out the running text and some logos on CNN and other shows. I wish you all had one of these althugh a regular TBC would be a lot cheaper. Thanks again. I'm glad I come here.

How come LordSmurf doesn't come around much? He's great.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nvm
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Switch with TBC it's cool. Can you tell us exact part number?
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ella
    Switch with TBC it's cool. Can you tell us exact part number?
    Probably not, since you're replying to a post that is nearly 2 years old at this point.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right, sorry.
    But still interesting if such thing exists. I use Grex for this purpose. It has interesting feature to switch automaticly to the input where video is present at the moment and stay where untill video exists. After that it starts to search for video on it's composite or S-Video input. This way I can switch between DVD player connected to S-Video and VCR connected to composite video. But I have to turn off DVD to make Grex look for VCR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've updated the list of non-TBC devices -- it shrank.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just found that the JVC SR-388 VCR removes Macrovison completely with the TBC set to 'on'. Really nice DVD backups even of tricky Disney films. With it set to 'off', the Macrovision is not removed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just want to share some interesting discovery about TBC market. Like any other market it is not solid. I have an old TBC from facedvideo.com - Video Clarifyer LX. Went to their site to check conenction details and found out that company was acquired by another company selling similar product. Just try http://www.facetvideo.com
    Quote Quote