VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, geezer is in Europe, so they are a bit more expensive over there, especially with the dollar as weak as it is (so your donations don't go as far). My computer is in the shop right now, and I don't have the paypal info at the moment, so I'll let you know when I get my computer back.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by terryj
    10.3.6 update cause this?
    just curious, I got 2 G5s at work holding off
    updating..
    Not sure if it's related to 10.3.6. I installed the update, and then it worked fine for a bit over a week. I then took off for a few days for Thanksgiving, leaving my G5 running, and when I came back, the input and output was all dead, but the fans were still running at normal speed. Then, I restarted it, and it shut off all input and output again by itself (with just the fans running), and kept doing that after variable amounts of time. Then, if I left it on overnight, I'd wake up to find the fans going full blast. No idea what's causing it, but it seems to be some problem with either a component overheating or the temperature sensors malfunctioning. It's really hard to say if 10.3.6 had anything to do with it, since it ran fine under 10.3.6 for a while...
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    FYI, geezer is in Europe, so they are a bit more expensive over there, especially with the dollar as weak as it is (so your donations don't go as far).
    Oh, so all the stupid DMCA stuff doesn't apply. Neat.

My computer is in the shop right now, and I don't have the paypal info at the moment, so I'll let you know when I get my computer back.
    Whenever you can, I've already gotten 2 pms of preople stating they want the info to make a donation. And wise, please feel free to post this over at the other boards you frequent. I'm specifically thinking of a green colored site where people's generosity is often questionable, but where some help might be found.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have posted in the past that I would like to make a donation to MTR but never got a reply where to send it. The app is killer ... I use it all the time and have no qualms about sending in some dough !!! If you have a paypal account let me know .... I'm sure others could send a couple of bucks too.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will definitely chip in.
    Quote Quote  
  6. wow , support....

for the guy that wants to know about the dmux operations, it does not dmux all the streams , just the audio track you choose , and the m2v stream , so you could extract movie.m2v and say the English , 6 channel audio , leaving all the rest behind.... you can then drop this into sizzle , dvdsp3 and do what you wish.

the dmux ui tells you all you need to select the correct stream.

Im still deciding what to do about subtitles , cant be sure if ripping a track of subs is worth it.

As the dmux is done on the backend of the title - title/chapter mode , there is no drop in speed.

one issue i have to correct , and its been in mTR for a while , i have an issue of the "PATRIOT" that declares it has more chapters that it realy does in the IFO , so when you pre-scan the location to aquire sector addresses for these blocks..... CRASH.... and if you try to rip these incorrect chapters -- CRASH...so , i have to decide in a trade off between a little longer pre-scan time to check the validity of chapters ... ( maybe just check the end chapter and work back untill a valid one is found ) or povide a chap.... either way the chapter count of an IFO needs a sanity check.

workin on it guys...

I hope you all have a nice Christmas present soon.

one thing..... the dmux buttons ... would you like them in the main UI , or maybe a new TAB called DMUX (etc ) would stop over crowding...

oh , the dmuxer does stip DTS correctly too.

Geezerbuttz
    Quote Quote  
  7. goat , please contact WiseWeasel , he will advise on how to make a DONATION.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. ok , fixed the chapter missmatch issues + no speed penalties

seems the VMGI program count was telling me there were 31 progs( chapters )

while the VTSI of the title reported 28 chapters ..... this is correct , so we do a prescan compare and fix if needed.... now the patriot loads up rips , prescans etc .. without a crash... this may fix some other issues to.

geezerbuttz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think 'Demux' should be a checkbox in the title/chapter mode window, and next to it should be a button titled 'Stream selection' (or just 'Streams' if there isn't enough space) which becomes active when 'Demux' is checked, and opens a new sheet where the user can deselect unwanted streams (they should all be selected by default). We may have to make the window larger to accomodate this, but it would provide the most intuitive interface for this functionality, since a demux tab would be useless in any mode but title/chapter. For subtitle streams, I'm not aware of any mastering apps being able to use demuxed subtitle streams (.srt). If anyone can comment on their usefulness, maybe we can include them too...

As for the chapter scanning, as long as it only happens in title/chapter mode, I don't see a problem with it taking longer to scan if it's going to prevent crashes on some discs.

You guys are lucky, you get a peek into the behind-the-scenes MTR development now that my computer is dead and I can only communicate through message boards using someone else's computer...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll give $10. Who do I pay pal to?
    Quote Quote  
  11. the button and stream popup is already in the method tab , due to the optimisation ( for speed ) you can only extract 1 m2v and 1 ac3 - or - dts stream....

if people want more , they will have to wait
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll let all of you know where to send donations once I get my computer back, within the next week. Sorry about the inconvenience. Thanks for your help keeping this project alive; I'm sure lots of Mac users will appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. right.... wise wanted a choice off selected audio streams to be ripped....

ripping multiple streams at the same time hits on speed , but i have made the relative changes to the code and now it will work... the current ui is inadeqate for the multiple stream selection , so i will move it into a side draw , or a sheet with checkboxes and the current stream(s) details next to it.

much better i think

geezerbuttz.

one last note , i will keep all informed on the situation of funding the NEC drive , so as when funds are reached , support can stop.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also like to know a way to donate. It's the least I can do to say thanks!
    Powerbook 12" G4 1GHz, 512MB RAM, Superdrive
    iMac 15" G4 800MHz, 768MB RAM, Combo
    Quote Quote  
  15. here it is... i did a test , full movie vob rip , full movie demux all channels ( 4 ac3 + 1 DTS ) the demux rip took 5 seconds longer.

6 gigs in 12 mins

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's looking pretty good. I don't really understand why the audio stream selection has to be in a drawer rather than a sheet, but it looks good anyways, so it's fine this way too... I don't know if there's an easy way to get the size of each audio stream, so that the extraction size in te MTR window can reflect the number of streams selected, but that would be a nice addition, if it's easy to implement. If not, no big deal... Regardless, it's looking good. It would be nicer if checkboxes were only generated for existing streams, like the text (i.e. 3 checkboxes for 3 streams), but the way you've implemented them, it looks like that would kill 10.2 compatibility. Also, if possible, the drawer should be less wide, since the text couldn't possibly fill that whole area (I think). Overall, this will make a great addition to MTR, and I'm really happy to hear about the speed optimizations. With that insignificant difference in speed, I think we can default to all audio streams selected, and have users deselect streams they don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Sheets = non modal = cant keep the sheet open AND start Extraction...
    Drawer is this wide coz some ( most ) dvd's describe the audio content ( i.e Directors ~Comments )

cant compute the audio size coz DTS - AC3 - PCM sizes Vary

maybei can gen the boxes on build / stream counter... have to see

GeezerButtz
    Quote Quote  
  18. right .. audio stream NSbuttons now only reflect the current count of streams per title ( as requested )

Due to the fact the 10.2 does not support the visible control method , i subclassed NSButton , and overroad the Drawrect method.

Works a treat.

PrgBars... may be pos to get the Aqua bars back , without animation overhead, i can subclass NSprogBar and overide the animating methods =
    No Animation...

dont know about CPU usage yet thou...
    Quote Quote  
  19. right done the subtitles for the ui now.... yes the buttons are small , but as one stream can have 32 subtitle streams we need to cram 32 little buttons in there just in case.....

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's beautiful! Nice work there, really! It's looking perfect. I look forward to releasing this baby. Can't wait to get my G5 back from the shop so we can release, and I can take care of giving out all the donation info. This has turned out to be quite the impressive update!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ill say!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Geezer-
    So, in other words, you're trying to replace every single tool I use so I only have to use MTR?

How long until Weasel gets his computer back...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Let me just say that after seeing the ugly sprawling interfaces of the PC ripping world, MTR puts them to shame. That you even take into consideration things like 32 subtitle streams is amazing. Great work geezer, and please keep posting these behind the scenes posts. I find them very interesting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 820am
    How long until Weasel gets his computer back...
    It varies. I took it into the Apple store on the 30th, and they say it takes 7 to 10 days, as there's quite a bit of troubleshooting to do on this problem. It's not a very simple issue to troubleshoot, as it's not clear what's malfunctioning. I usually don't recommend this for desktop Macs, but I think it might be a good idea for all you PowerMac G5 owners to get the extended AppleCare if you still have the option, as they seem to be pretty fragile... or at least there's a lot that can go wrong with them.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Long time lurker here, happy to donate.

OT:
    Recently my early model Dual2Ghz locked up, had to press the front power button to shut it down. After a restart the fans run very loud, at about 50% of full speed (which is still really loud ! :-0 )

Now it has a damaged CPU according to the £100 diagnostic I had to shell out for. It's well out of warranty I'm afraid, so as a word of warning I would also recommend extended warranties to new owners. A new CPU is around £350 I'm told.

The weird thing is it's running as normal, except for roaring fans!
    I'm a Pro FCP user and it's been running with the CPU problem for 3 weeks solid now, no problems, no noticable speed reduction and the CPUs appear to work OK, as I'll get around 170% CPU usage at times when it's working hard. Weird.

Dunc.
    Quote Quote  
  26. can someone please tell me the use of raw subtitle streams? , not one app i have found can read them!!!!

what is the use ?

I will leave them in MTR but i have left them unselected by default.

right any last ( good ) suggestions ?..

i.e audio convertion on output etc etc etc

geezerbuttz

or a simple requant on the demuxed m2v stream , reduce the video size prior to reburn im DVDSP or Sizzle ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now you're going to spoil them... Personally, requantization of the demuxed m2v stream in title and chapter modes wouldn't be very useful, since I have DVD2OneX, and that process is easier than having to remaster a DVD afterwards; however, I guess it would be nice to have a free requantizing solution for the Mac, even if it's more troublesome than the non-free solutions out there. I suspect it would be a pain to implement, however, and might have to be done post-process, since the entire video stream would have to be analysed for bitrate variations before requantizing. I think this would be something better suited to a separate application, maybe an open-sourced one (hoping you wouldn't have to do it alone), since there's no real benefit to incorporating it into the ripper (since the entire stream has to be ripped first anyways), except possibly a small convenience factor. I personally think requantization is getting out of the scope of a ripper, since it would modify the streams beyond the removal of copy protection. Same with audio conversion, which mAC3Dec handles quite nicely. The only remaining ripper-related functions remaining are cell extraction and previewing of titles, chapters and cells, but I think those should be left for version 3.0, as they aren't inconsequential to implement, both functionally and interface-wise. For requantization, I would make that a separate app, and maybe add some Applescript hooks, both to that app and to MTR, so that the entire process could be automated if desired. I haven't looked into Popcorn, but that app is probably AppleScriptable, so we could already make a simple one-click app to take us from ripping to burnt product (well, maybe two clicks, for the point where the user has to swap the original DVD for a blank recordable disc), though it would only be useful to novice or lazy users who don't want the fine control over the output that manual processing affords.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by geezerbuttz
    can someone please tell me the use of raw subtitle streams? , not one app i have found can read them!!!!
    It seems according to this thread, there's a Windows app called SubCreator that can import .srt subtitle streams and export them to other formats. This can be used in VPC to possibly convert them to a format DVDSP can handle, though I haven't tried this myself, and don't have the ability to check this at the moment. Maybe someone could verify this...

Wait, was .srt the raw subtitle format you get by demuxing, or was it .spc?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    I haven't looked into Popcorn, but that app is probably AppleScriptable
    Its Toast Suite dictionary is identical to Toast's.
    Quote Quote