VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have been waiting over a year for a model that would meet my criteria and finally the Sony model is arriving in the US. I ordered it from an onbline retailer and should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Anyone else going to purchase this unit?

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep, I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear. - Neil
    Quote Quote  
  2. What is it that you were waiting for ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Donpedro,

I was waiting for combination of High Quality Record, HD, +/-R/RW, Firewire, and Cable Mouse. I Ruled out Pioneer due to video quality and Panasonic because of RAM. Lite-On was also a consideration but there marketing department keeps changing when and what models will be released. Early reports on another forum is reporting very nice feedback on the Sony. I guess you have to pick a spot and jump in.

Let me know if you would like information to update your spreadsheet.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep, I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear. - Neil
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks Capt_Diode, but I do not update that list anymore. I paused my thinking of buying recorder, but I am reconsidering this option now... short time before move from US to EU. But I guess I will have to pay extra cash for EU model there to get all features.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Congratulations Capt_Diode! This Sony is nice Christmas gift!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Zoran,

Thanks! I know there are a few shortcomimgs but they were not as important as my other requirements. Some of the posts from people just getting their units have been very positive. Funny, last weekend I threw out over a hundred VHS tapes. I kept about twenty that had video worth keeping. If the unit performs as touted, I won't loose a generation in the conversion process. Looks like my family will be getting family DVD's for Christmas!

Anyone else going to buy this unit?

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might hold out and see if we get any of the improved versions from Japanese companies, Sony included. Not being able to cut a long show or transfer HQ+ content directly to an RW won't fit for what I want to do with the deck, as well, I plan on getting new Hi-Def equipment soon and I want a recorder capable of recording that, even if its only to the HDD. The current lines here are incapable of doing that but newer units out in Japan or planned for here in the next year or two will be able to do just that. Yeah, not being able to edit a marathon of series episodes like what you get on some premium channels and not being able to adjust the bitrate to put various length content directly on a blank disc (like the Pannies, Toshiba, JVC and Pioneers) will not put the Sony under my Christmas tree this year...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I am with oldfart13 on this one. I was all ready to purchase this Sony, but its shortcomings were very important features I REALLY want. Like splitting titles and transferring large caps to DVD-/+RW to computer. Also, the FR feature is a must for me. I hate having to put a 2hr 15min movie on a disk using the 3hour setting. Thats a waste of space and diminished quality. I will either wait or get the JVC MH30S. I may wait until I get my HiDef next year and see what is available then.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oldfart13,

I here you! Last year at this time I said I would hold out for RW and HD. I agree that I would like more editing features and HDef but at some point you just gotta pick a spot and jump in. Dual layer will be here soon as well. If I wait another year for these features then there will be more features that I will want in a year. The feedback I'm reading so far lists the recording quality as very good. I'm planning on converting a number of Mini-DV tapes to DVD and this will give me a good start. Good Luck with your decision!

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Capt_D,

I am glad you found an entry point to jump in. I am almost there. If this Sony had FR and Title Splitting, it would be under my x-mas tree as well

But you gotta say shame on Sony for not including these 2 great features, that many of their competitors have.

As soon as a HiDef recorder with file split, hard drive and FR hits the market, I am doing some hitting myself. maybe I will look at the Panny again
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just a thought but would it be possible to create multiple seamless timer recordings? Then you wouldn't have the problem of splitting titles.
    But don't know how seamless/fast it would be.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lucien,

I printed the manual ealier today to start reviewing. I'm going to have pleanty of time to read it since UPS rescheduled delivery to next Tuesday. I now know what brown can do for me!

Making home movies and so on to DVD will be a new area for me. Trying to do it with my PC was just too time consuming. I guess we will all learn together.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  13. "Panasonic because of RAM."

Why?

Not only do they do RAM, but they do -r recording too.
    RAM is great, I have been using the same RAM disk about 7 times a day for 18 months, still work great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handyguy,

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking RAM, It just does not fit my needs. I cannot take a RAM disk and play it in any other unit then a RAM player. I don't know of any DVD players that accepts RAM. I too like to time shift. I enjoy watching Judge Judy during my lunch hour. (NO FLAMES) From what I have read, Ram is a very robust technology, far better than DVD but again the compatability issues just don't fit my needs. If editing is as limited as reported I may use third party software to perform my editing. At least the source video from what I have read is top notch. This unit is just a first step in what will probably be many purchases.

Dual Layer, HiDef, Editing, Blue-Ray.... The technology just keeps moving at a rapid pace..... I don't want to get left behind.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  15. Dual Layer, HiDef, Editing, Blue-Ray.... The technology just keeps moving at a rapid pace..... I don't want to get left behind.
    You are absolutely right my friend! This Sony is the best DVD recorder that money can buy today and... for couple of years... we will all buy new models anyway. Enjoy!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone is interested, this Sony is their first unit which comes with Components Inputs. You can make the best analog recording using Components. The Video Filter is the only unit which allows you to make backups of your videos using Components Inputs.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter
    Quote Quote  
  17. "You can make the best analog recording using Components."

Not sure what that means since, analog isn't very high def. However, if you record through components & component out to a digital tv, you would probably skip one conversion step.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll have to agree with you about buying something to just get your feet wet. I bought the Panasonic E80H last year and never looked back. I love this thing! Is it going to be my last DVD recorder purchase? Hell, no! But it was a good start. Now I'm looking for another deck but the Panny has woken me up to different possibilities. This is why I'm glad there are newer decks coming out all the time. I'm also interested in giving friends and relatives some equipment to finally get away from their VHS decks. Some of the lower line decks are useful for this purpose. You just have to do a bit of checking. The HX900 isn't what I'm looking for but perhaps one of their upcoming decks might be. It's an open market that (like TV in general) is in transition. It will be interesting to see where this all ends up...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What I mean is, the best analog input interface on a DVD recorder, is Components. Compared to S-Video and Composite, Components is better.
    If, for example, you were going to record a DVD to your DVDR, you can use Components and that will produce the highest quality recording.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Video Filter,
    Do you use this Forum to advertise your product?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I let people know about it and point them to the website. Only on forums for DVD recorders. I would think users would benefit just knowing that there are alternatives out there. I tried a long time ago, to buy advertizing spots on this forum but was told there was no room for it. Not because of the type of product but simply because literally there is no space. I would gladly buy a spot to show it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I let people know about it and point them to the website. Only on forums for DVD recorders. I would think users would benefit just knowing that there are alternatives out there. I tried a long time ago, to buy advertizing spots on this forum but was told there was no room for it. Not because of the type of product but simply because literally there is no space. I would gladly buy a spot to show it.
    So, you don’t advertise, only pointing out to your web site…interesting…and because you couldn’t buy an advertising spot you decided to go for free…I think that some of the moderators should talk with you.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be happy to talk to them. In fact, I have written an E-Mail to the advertising department. I don't mind making a contribution but would like to know what I am allowed to do here.

Here is a respose I got from one of DVDRhelp associates back in February.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "No banner slots are available today. Maybe in some months.

/Stefan Edstrom, baldrick@dvdrhelp.com

----- Original Message -----
    To: baldrick@dvdrhelp.com
    Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 3:16 PM
    Subject: Advertise

I sent an E-Mail several days ago about advertising through DVD Help but have had no response.

I have a product that your visitor are interested in and have been around for some time now.

My website is http://------------------------------------

Please check it out and send me a response. I will be willing to donate to DVDR Help.

Thanks,

Max
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What do you know?

I just got a response from Stefan Edstrom a minute ago regarding
    becoming an Advertising/Sponsor. I will consider it after gettting more
    details about the fee and what do I get if I decide to join.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To all the folks watching from the sidelines,

WOW! This machine is incredible! I only had a couple of hours to play with it but it lives up to the hype about improving the quality from the source. I have 12 episodes of Deadwood stored on my Tivo. I recorded episode 1 to the HD and then to a DVD only using the factory settings at SP. My cable quality is fair at best and the Tivo has a lot of noise in the picture. Not to say the picture was perfect but what an improvement from the source. The unit was able to remove a lot of the noise from the video and had a noticable improvement over the source. As if this was not enough, the E-Tailer made an error on the purchase and droped the price $80.00. With the $50.00 gift certificate I got it for just over $650.

Does anyone else have this unit? If so, what do you think?

Man, I'm HAPPY!

Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capt_Diode
    To all the folks watching from the sidelines,

WOW! This machine is incredible! I only had a couple of hours to play with it but it lives up to the hype about improving the quality from the source. I have 12 episodes of Deadwood stored on my Tivo. I recorded episode 1 to the HD and then to a DVD only using the factory settings at SP. My cable quality is fair at best and the Tivo has a lot of noise in the picture. Not to say the picture was perfect but what an improvement from the source. The unit was able to remove a lot of the noise from the video and had a noticable improvement over the source. As if this was not enough, the E-Tailer made an error on the purchase and droped the price $80.00. With the $50.00 gift certificate I got it for just over $650.

Does anyone else have this unit? If so, what do you think?

Man, I'm HAPPY!

Captain Diode

Captain Diode,

My main concern is basketball games. They do not end in 2hrs. Can I record to HD using the finest quality mode, and say the game ends in 2hrs 34minutes... Can I manually adjust the bitrate so that exactly 2hrs and 34minutes gets transferred to my dvd, so I don't over compensate the quality? I think this is also known as Flexible Recording? Or, is this not possible and I'll have to record all games to harddrive in 3hr mode?

I understand you can do this with the PIONEER ones. So please advise whether or not that's possible. And how's the quality on the Sony at 3hr mode? I guess QUALITY would be important to know. Because what's the point in getting a Pioneer to have this flexibility when maybe their 2hr and 30 minute setting is not as good as Sony's 3hr mode anyways.

Thanx in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Siratfus,

Unfortulaitly I am fairly new to the unit and cannot answer your questions with personal experience. You can record to the HD in HQ and then reduce the quality for time puposes. Unfortunatly you have stumbled onto one of the shortcomings. DVD Record times are locked to 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, and 6 hours. Anything in the middle, say 2h15m will waist 45 minutes of diskspace on the 3 Hour mode.

I have not had enough time to explore the many features of this unit yet due to work obligations. Later next week things finally slow down for the holidays and I will be able to test many of the features of the unit and will gladly post my findings if anyone is interested. I have only tested the 2 hour mode thus far and with a good source is as good as a pressed DVD (MHO).

There is no unit on the market yet that meets all of our demands. This unit does not meet all of my demands. I wish the unit allowed editing on the HD with Menus etc. for my home movies. It would also be great if it performed FR so that disk space would not be waisted. Panasonic would probably suit your needs better but no RW support. I chose the sony more for picture quality for my home movies and time shifting regular TV.

Good luck with your decision and I will post what I think of the 3h quality as time permits, maybe tonight. I can report that the unit is capable of producing great results from a poor quality source.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  28. Capt Diode

I just ordered one today at datavision online for $579 +shipping. However, it is in backorder and I won't get it till 15 Dec or later

Please post all of your finding if you can about the quality and especially about recording from Dv tape to HD. I read in one of the forum and someone said it can only record Dv tape directly to a DVD but not a HD.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm very curious about the XP+ (the 15MBps) HDD recording feature... you are supposed to be able to use that extra high bitrate mode on the hard drive, then do a quasi 2-pass VBR re-encode to fit on to a disc. Have you tried that out yet?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thinhtkd & Gshelley61,

I would love to answer your questions tonight but time just is not there. It turns out I have the house to my self tomorrow night and will have time to perform some tests to answer your questions.

If I'm not mistaken DV will record to HD. I will confirm this operation tomorrow night, I Promise! I will test All the record speeds on both HD and DVD. As for the XP+ I don't have much in the way of quality video source but I do have MiniDV and will use that for the source to test XP+ (Assuming it works).

Thinhtkd, The wait is worth it if you are after quality video. I have only had a couple of hours to play with it but what I've seen so far is impressive. It's sad, there are people waiting weeks to get one and I have one and am having to wait to play with it.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote