VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. siratfus,
    I own the Sony RDR-GX300 and the Pioneer DVR-310. I ran a few test a while ago and I can tell you this.

This is the Pioneer in 2 hour and 10 minute mode

This is the Pioneer in 2 hour and 20 minute mode

This is the Pioneer in 2 hour and 30 minute mode. This is where everything changes.

And this is the Sony from 2 hours and 05 minutes till 3 hours (all Lp mode)

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well folks,

I had hoped to be able to post more info but my learning curve is not allowing me to test as far as I want. I can confirm that DV "WILL RECORD TO HD". This is where I run into problem number 1. It turns out that DV input is 4 Wire not 6 wire. What does this mean? An unexpected trip to BB to buy 4 wire to 4 wire cable. 32 beans later, I have a proper cable.

So I pull out the tape of my son riding his bike for the first time, an eleven minute tape. Connect video camera to the 900 and sure enough, push one button and presto camera records to HD in HQ+. Now that I have a good source to test with I'm ready to record.

Problem number 2 shows up! I pull out 4X RW and it will not format no matter what. Since I have used this disc for other purposes the 900 will not use the disc at all. I pull out a virgin 2.4X and formats with no problem. Now the low wattage bulb in the brain starts to flicker. Copy that DVD to one that won't play. Well I guess since this disc has not finalized and my PC wants to finalize I am unable to still use 4X disk. Will try again later with finalized 2.4X.

So I move on to record the same video 6 times at the 6 different record speeds. All is going well until I reach the 6 hour mode. when I push the dub button the machine gives a message that there is not enough room on the disk for the last video and jumps to "AUTO DUB" and takes twice the time to record.

When I finished with the 6th record I start to watch the different videos, each one looking identical to the first. I am stunned that the 4 hour mode looks the same as the 1 hour mode. When I reviewed that last (6 Hour) recording again looks very impressive but I can tell its not the same as the other five. I placed the DVD in my computer and examined it with Bit-Rate viewer. To my surprise, each recording was at HQ except the last. The last recording was lower in bit-rate but was made to fit the rest of the DVD. My original recording is close to 11 minutes. 55 minutes at HQ then it auto fit that last 11 minutes into the last 5 minutes of the DVD.

Please re-read the last sentence!

I need to review my steps but it squeezed 66 minutes into 60. I don't know why it did not record at the 6 different speeds but I am puzzled by my above statement. I have a lot of 2.4X discs that have never been used so I might try each speed using a different disc to examine the results.

I will post more results as I have time to test. I can confirm that the DV to HD to DVD at HQ+ was absolutely flawless. I have what I was looking for when I purchased the 900. As time permits I will post more feedback on this unit.

Hope this helps you folks!

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep, I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear. - Neil
    Quote Quote  
  3. My original recording is close to 11 minutes. 55 minutes at HQ then it auto fit that last 11 minutes into the last 5 minutes of the DVD.
    This is not right my friend. If you were using all those extended speeds recording only 11 minutes of original recording there must be more unrecorded space on your disc.

When I finished with the 6th record I start to watch the different videos, each one looking identical to the first. I am stunned that the 4 hour mode looks the same as the 1 hour mode.
    This is the possible answer to my previous statement. All those recordings were done in HQ+ mode. That is why they look identical and you didn't have more space on your disc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Zoran,

I may have not explained myself clearly but trust me, I recorded 66 Minutes in HQ (1HR Mode). The last recording went into "Auto Dub" and fit it to the disc. I will try this again when I get back from my trip next week. When I look at the bottom, it is recorded all the way across and this was a virgin disc. I am still a NOOB at this so who knows I may have missed something but I was being careful. I will post more information when I return from my trip.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Beep beep, oh no heavy, the coins keep coming out, beep beep, even the telephone hates me, beep beep, I wish there were no machines, and everyone led a pastoral existence, trees and flowers don't deliberately cool you out and go beep in your ear. - Neil
    Quote Quote  
  5. Now you are right. You had used HQ mode for all of your recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not sure if this helps or not, but when I record a show in HQ mode (1 hour), if I let it run til the DVD is full, it actually records for 67 minutes.

I use a JVC DR-M10.

Not sure why it goes longer than the mode says, but it does.
    So you getting 67 minutes in 60 min mode doesn't shock me.

Dan Ginnetty
    Quote Quote  
  7. DGinnetty,
    We are talking about using extended recording speeds, not HQ speed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I am receiving an HX900 today. I am very excited about it. I have tried the GX7 and was very disappointed with it. I than tried the VX500 and it was really nice but I decided that a built in hard disk would help a lot better. I will post a review in the next couple days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Warper,

Your gonna love the unit!

Zoran,

I am testing again with the settings regarding fitting odd size video to the entire size of the disk. I have selected 4 1Hr episodes of Deadwood on the HD. I selected the 3Hr record mode for the DVD. Sure enough "Auto-Dub" mode pops up. The warning indicates that there is not enough space (memory) on the disc. Auto-Dub can make it fit. The manual I have refers to this on page 76 but is vague. Unfortunaitly the "Auto-Dub" process will take 4 hours to complete so I won't have the results until tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm that this feature allows to fit odd lengths to the enire size of the disk? If so, why is Sony quiet about this? This feature alone is limiting people from purchasing the unit.

I'm looking forward to testing this further... Will keep you folks informed as I find out more information.....

Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well have not out the camcorder on it yet but I am assume it will work fine since I had tried the vx500. It worked well recording so far through my televison hd signal. Of course the TV converts it to analog but the quality was good. I have dish network and I was disappointed that the control for Set top boxes could change channels during the timed record mode. I had called sony prior to the purchase and they had said this would work. It is not the end of the world. It would have just been nice to not have toconfigure timers on both. But I will have more time I hope tomorrow night to play with and try more things. I do not get over the air tv other than HD. I am to far from chicago.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capt_Diode,
    How is the fast forwarding and reverse on the hard drive as compared to the disc? Is response time and speeds the same?

The omission of FR mode doesn't really bother me. When you talk about quality these Sony units rank way up there. But then again many people have different uses for these things. Some will love it, some will hate it.
    You can't deny the quality though.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capt_Diode, you can do this very simple test:

Select 1Hr recording mode and record on DVD disc (don’t use HD) about 5 min. from your tapes (find better quality recording). Next, select 2Hr. mode and record the same segment. Then do the same in 3Hr and 4Hr recording mode. See what is the difference in the quality between these recordings.

The next step would be to record the same tape in HQ+ mode on the HD and then to record it back on the DVD disc using 1Hr, 2Hr, 3Hr and 4Hr recording mode.
    Quote Quote  
  13. When I had the Sony for a day or two before I returned it one strange thing I noticed was that recording in 1 hour mode in bitrate viewer showed that it was in CBR

HQ+ reencoded to 1 or 2 hours showed VBR
    2 hour mode also showed VBR but the couple of times I did 1 hour mode it kept on showing CBR
    Quote Quote  
  14. KavMan,

For the 1Hr recording the machine was using high bit CBR recording to achieve the best result without compromising the quality at any point of that recording.

For 2Hr recording mode the best option is to use VBR for optimizing the recording in order to get the best picture quality for the longer recording time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update:

"Auto-Dub" does appear to adjust to fit the DVD from the HD source. I recorded 4 1Hr episodes in 3Hr DVD Record mode. The DVD was created with little wasted space. I am now testing a 2:15 movie to fit in 2Hr DVD record to see if again it fits the entire disc. I will have more information tomorrow. I can tell you that the 4 episodes are almost as good as the originals. There was more pixelation around lettering in the titles but no pixelation in action scenes. I will record all of my Deadwood episodes in 4Hr mode.

Tommyoz,

FF/FR works identically with DVD compared to HD. There are 3 speeds with the first being fairly smooth and the fastest being rather choppy but not unexpected.

Zoran,

I will be testing all record modes with a short Mini-DV clip from my camera sometime this weekend. Recording to the HD for testing has to be done in real time so this is slowing some of my testing down. From what I've seen so far, 1Hr record is absolutely perfect. The 4Hr mode is definitely usable for average TV viewing and time shifting. I wonder if I could download a clip of test video for testing. Remember the Indian Test Pattern? Obviously this would not be good without motion but maybe something with smoke or rain. I will have to think about this.

The more I use the unit the more I like it. It does everything I need it to do. The lack of HD editing stinks but for a 1st generation machine its great.

Cheers,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  16. Capt_Diode,

Don't use color bars (Indian Test Pattern) for testing purposes, mini DV tape from your camera will be good enough. The goal of this test is to see the differences in picture quality between different recording speeds.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capt_Diode,

I was able to do HD editing. I was rather impresed. If you meant like cut scenes and commercials out it worked great on the HD. The more I am playing with this recorder the more I am impressed. The only thing I wish it could do is rip a HD title to dvd and record something else at the same time to the HD. Now that would be cool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update,

I don't know the function of "Auto-Dub" but it does not fit odd sized video to the entire disk. I tested it with a movie 2:15. Each time I tested it always left an entire Gigabyte of disk unused. I'm assuming the 3 hour mode was selected. I can tell you that the video quality was impressive. Again, my Tivo source is not the best but the end result was favorable.

My next series of testing will be with the different recording speeds. I have not had time to look for a test video so if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Something with smoke or rain.

Hey Zoran I agree, a motionless Indian pattern won't cut it here but might prove useful to see overall resolution.

Hey Warper, I have not tested the minimal editing features but I thought you could not join videos. If I'm wrong, Please speak up! I was refering more to the fact you cannot add menus and thumbnails. This will require 3rd party support which I have not had time to look into.

Happy Holidays,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well, since I own the RGX-300 I decided to go with the HX900. For my usage I felt this one would be best. I am not surprised of the quality it is exeptional. I still would like to know what chipset they use.

I've stated before that I really needed one with a hard drive and boy now I see what i've been missing all this time. No more remove disc and put one in, remove disc and put one in. Those days are gone. Now it's record, watch, do I want to keep anything? if I do dub onto disc (any format) and keep. If not, erase. I am an SP mode recording guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

A few things I've noticed right off the bat. The response time is a bit quicker than the 300 and the fan seems like it runs all the time.

Capt_Diode, does your fan run all the time?

Now my 300 will play the role of just copying VHS tapes. My Panny and Pioneer will stay in the other 2 TV rooms. I still have a spot for one more and that may just be the JVC with HD as the price drops.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Tommyoz,

Since you own Sony, Pioneer and Panasonic DVD recorders can you make a test (2 and 3 hour mode) and rate this popular machines?
    Quote Quote  
  21. zorankarapancev,
    What kind of tests are you looking for. As far as what I think of them? or what something like Bitrate viewer has to say?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Capt_Diode, does your fan run all the time on this unit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Tommyoz,

Although I cannot hear it running the fan is on even with the unit powered off. I wonder why?

Ho Ho Ho!
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hey can you make a DVD-R Disc Backup on this Sony Recorder?
    Can you go from any DVD-R to HDD then record back on DVDR?
    I know the Pioneer DVR-520h has this feature of making disc copies of any DVDR disc.
    What is the best price on this Sony unit right now?
    Let me know. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gsquez,

Yes you can copy DVD->HDD and HDD->DVD. I have not tried this yet but it can be done provided it is not copywritten content. I would also recomend this feature for PC to maintain original quality. Although the Sony can improve the quality if the original is poor quality but would not be needed if the original was high quality. My .02...

Ho Ho Ho,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hey Capt_Diode thanks for the quick response.
    Can i make a disc backup of a DVDR disc recorded from another DVD Recorder?
    If the original DVDR is high quality will it be copied in high quality or will it lose quality?
    Will this disc backup feature only work with DVDR discs recorded on the Sony?
    I know the Pioneer DVR-520 does not lose quality with it's disc copy feature. It just makes a copy of the DVDR/RW with no loss of quality.
    Do you really like this recorder? Is it worth the price?
    Thanks again.

gsquez
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gsquez,

Can i make a disc backup of a DVDR disc recorded from another DVD Recorder?
    Yes, it may require it to be finalized

If the original DVDR is high quality will it be copied in high quality or will it lose quality?
    It depends on what quality record length you select. I have not used this feature yet but from what I have seen with poor quality, the picture was better.

Will this disc backup feature only work with DVDR discs recorded on the Sony?
    It should work with any media that is not copywritten. (+/- R/RW) High quality source will probably not loose much quality to the eye, it just won't be exact bit for bit copy.

Do you really like this recorder? Is it worth the price?
    I love the recorder. It fits most of my needs. I would like to see more advanced editing on the HDD. I would like to have paid less for the unit but I don't feel ripped off.

Ho Ho Ho,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If anyone is interested in making backups of ANY DVD or any video, for that matter, using this Sony recorder, you can do it using the Video Filter. This includes using the components video. If you are interested, write me an E-Mail and I'll direct you tto the website.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. This is just the latest of several posts advertising this "Video Filter". If you wish to be an advertiser, arrange it with Baldrick. You can buy a banner ad. Either way, no advertising is ever allowed in the forums.
    / Moderator Capmaster
    Quote Quote  
  29. Capt_Diode
    Thanks again for your input.
    Does this recorder show thumbnails of the show you recorded on the HDD?
    When you are about to finalize a disc are their a variety of title menus that you can choose from to put on your disc?
    What are the big flaws of the unit?

gsquez
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gsquez,

Does this recorder show thumbnails of the show you recorded on the HDD?
    It does if you select one, at least thats as far as I have gotten.

When you are about to finalize a disc are their a variety of title menus that you can choose from to put on your disc?
    I have only found the one menu that is basically a blank screen with text that you input.

What are the big flaws of the unit?
    The limited editing. I have used the cut feature and it works perfect. I have not encountered any bugs or flaws with the unit so far.

I would love to be able to give you a detailed report on the unit but just cannot find the time. I have been off work all this week and have not had one moment to play with the unit. I have about 60-70 hours on the Tivo to move to DVD and have only transfered 4 hours so far. I do believe it does have some ability to add some thumbnails but it is done in VR mode which as I recall is not compatable with most players. I am attaching the link to Sony so you can review the manual. This might answer alot of your questions. I can tell you the more educated you are on the unit the more comfortable you will be with your decesion.

http://www.sonydigital-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&m=RDR-HX900

Ho Ho Ho,
    Captain Diode
    Quote Quote