VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Total noob here. First a word of thanks to all the knowledgeable posters on this board. I know not all here are fans of the HDD Ilo, but at this price and with Wal-Mart's good return policy, I thought I would give it a try. Should be delivered today. This will be my first recorder. After ordering the Ilo I found that my local cable co. now offers a Tivo-like box (specifically the Motorola HD Set Top DCT6208) for a mere 7 bucks more/mo. than I pay for my current box. Will I have trouble using this in conjunction with the Ilo? Would I even want/need to? If indeed the Ilo unit gives me problems would I be better off using the Motorola with a better quality recorder without the HDD? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the motorola cable DVR and an iLo non-hard drive model. What I do is recorf to the cable DVR so I get stereo sound and use the S-Video out of the cable box to the iLo's S-Video in. Works great!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your cable comapny's Tivo-like box offers local channels, you probably don't need the hard drive. I use the DVD+R to make copies of things I want to save from DirecTV channels. One reason I have the iLO w/HDD is my DirecTv doesn't offer local channels and I got used to a Tivo.

I also put out a Christmas DVD for family and friends and the hard drive will be very helpful while I'm making multiple compies.

Just some food for thought.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your dvr should have a vcr out that you can record, in theory, from.
    When I tried mine, a Scientific Atlanta, there seemed to be an audio synch problem. But I was too impatient to piss around with it.
    It is much easier to buy a video switcher with two outputs. Run one to the tv and the other to the Ilo. That way you can watch television without having the Ilo on, as a straight s-video or composite in would require.
    Plus the switcher will have a number of inputs allowing for easier addition or other sources for the Ilo to record.
    SIMA has a decent one. Mine is a few years old but still works great.

While the Ilo will give you nice pq on a capture it will not do audio justice. It will not record Dolby Digital or DD 5.1. If you have no problem with stereo ( I can't recall the Ilo audio format off the top of my head) then it is fine.
    Quote Quote