VideoHelp Forum

View Poll Results: Who Should Be A Replacement Moderator?

Voters
879. This poll is closed
  • Lordsmurf

442 50.28%
  • Rallynavvie

5 0.57%
  • Mats.Hogberg

44 5.01%
  • Wise Weasel

21 2.39%
  • Tommyknocker

28 3.19%
  • Indolikaa

25 2.84%
  • Will Hay

36 4.10%
  • Jimmalenko

40 4.55%
  • Equip tgpo's cell with DSL and bribe him to stay on

238 27.08%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Who nose?

Search PM
    Is it a worry when the customary "nonsense" TGPO option is a resounding 2nd ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

3. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, Lordsmurf is now a supermoderator here.

Congrats Lordsmurf!

Wait ...does that mean the rest of us mods are banned now, like the scenario in the OP of this thread?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Wait ...does that mean the rest of us mods are banned now, like the scenario in the OP of this thread?
    Well, is the MPAA knocking on your door?
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Nobody likes a bunch of yackity-yack.

5. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLICK RICK
    Well, is the MPAA knocking on your door?
    No, they're still trying to find me

6. No we are not banned. I can still feel my legs. I still exist.

7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    No we are not banned. I can still feel my legs. I still exist.
    I can feel your legs too ...

Oops ....sorry

(tgpo is more my type )

8. Originally Posted by Capmaster

Oops ....sorry

(tgpo is more my type )
    Sometimes its a good thing to be 8000 miles away

9. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM

Oops ....sorry

(tgpo is more my type )
    Sometimes its a good thing to be 8000 miles away

10. If "lordsmurf" was arrogant and unhelpfull to just one person that posts on these forums (that would be bad enough)-but I have seen his rude and useless posts many times for many guys....anyone else is a better choice.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by discman07
    If "lordsmurf" was arrogant and unhelpfull to just one person that posts on these forums (that would be bad enough)-but I have seen his rude and useless posts many times for many guys....anyone else is a better choice.
    That's funny ... I have found that the only rude and useless posts he's made have been to ignoramuses that don't know how to RTFM.

... interesting ...
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    That's funny ... I have found that the only rude and useless posts he's made have been to ignoramuses that don't know how to RTFM.

... interesting ...
    Here! Here! That's been my experience / observations too...

Put in nothing, get nothing back. Put in effort, and he (like many others here) will help those who are willing to help themselves.

lordsmurf doesn't wipe people's arses for them. And isn't afraid to say so - either directly or in his own inimitable way...
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

13. O.k.-heres a good recent example:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245926

This guy asked a simple yes or no question-it was obvious he wasn't looking to open up a YES video or do work for UNIVERSAL STUDIOS...so how does this make him an ignoramus or in need of holding a hand?

Use the search function, you can dig up plenty more gems like this...

Moderators should be above petty or preachy responses..less is more, and so on.

Search Comp PM
    ...but I have seen his rude and useless posts many times for many guys....
    I'm curious - what is your level of experience and / or qualifications to back up this "observation"?

I can't see any of lordsmurf's replies belittling the original poster, or anyone for that matter.

Sure, they're short and to the point - but that's his style, he's a fairly busy guy.

If anything, I'd say that lordsmurf went beyond giving a yes or no answer, and provided additional info to help the guy out. He (the original poster) certainly didn't seem put out.

You're either digging for something that isn't there, or are taking lordsmurf the wrong way. Sure, no-one's perfect so there might be the odd slip from grace, but in the main he's direct but helpful.

I don't think you'll find many at all that'll argue against that.

There are plenty of arsehole's who are rude and don't know anywhere near as much stuff as lordsmurf - luckily, most regulars ignore these guys or they get a gentle reminder from the mods.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If "lordsmurf" was arrogant and unhelpfull to just one person that posts on these forums (that would be bad enough)-but I have seen his rude and useless posts many times for many guys....anyone else is a better choice.

you are an ASS discman07---look at smurfs website, and look at all the HELPFUL posts he has givin. i certainly have learned a lot and i thank him!!!!

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    by the way, all are great choices for MOD's!!!!!!!!

17. daamon, focus and answer my question, was that guy deserving of a lecture? Was he an ignoramous?

If you read my last post and answered with some thought you wouldn't be
    trying to dodge the question by bringing up a totally irrelevant subject like my background.

Also, take note that I am not rude. I don't use profanity to make my point and I am entitled to my opinion.

VOTE NO on littlesmurf.

DVDDave, you help to reinforce (in part) what daamon is saying-there are rude guys on this board and for the most part they're ignored.

18. Originally Posted by disturbed1
    I like Indolikaa and all, but I think we'd have fewer forum members due to all the banning that would come forth. Or, Indolikaa would have to tone down his style, and that would just ruin it.

I agree.

First of all, congratulations to LordSmurf. Any one of the people listed on this poll would've been a good choice. I've been gone awhile, and I have no idea what prompted the need for more moderation, but if that's what Da Boss Wants, that's what Da Boss Gets.

Now, in other news.

Personally, I'm glad the torch was passed to someone else. I've been throwing this around for awhile, and I have to agree with what disturbed1 said. I don't want to change my style or rhetoric, and I would have to if I was wearing the pretty blue hat. Somewhere on this board, either public or private, I once told someone that the worst mistake I ever made in my life was trying to be someone I wasn't. I AM, the resident *******. And I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. And I think that putting on a moderator hat would force me to become someone I'm not.

So, with all due respect to those who have supported me, I think I'll just stick to being Indolikaa, a member at videohelp.com. Let those who truly desire to help others in this hobby strive for higher office. I'll stick to what I do best: helping others find the way out the door, whether it's open or not.

.indolikaa.

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O.k.-heres a good recent example:

This guy asked a simple yes or no question-it was obvious he wasn't looking to open up a YES video or do work for UNIVERSAL STUDIOS...so how does this make him an ignoramus or in need of holding a hand?

This is the post in question:
    Originally Posted by choirislife923
    ok, i'm starting up my own VHS->DVD business to help me pay through college. my question is...i'm using a really crappy capture card (ATI TV Wonder (uses brooktree bt484 chipset)) with my audio going through my onboard sound card (nVidia nForce2 chipset). Do I have to apply filters while going from VHS tapes to DVD to make it "nicer", since some professional dvd conversion businesses do so? and if I have do, what filters should I use?
    Originally Posted by Lord Smurf
    Buy some real equipment.
    Good card, and a whole inventory of good video hardware.
    What you have won't cut it, not at all. Not even close.
    And you want to hang him up by his thumbs for that? This may be a conflict of interest, since I am listed in the same poll, but your attack is unwarranted in my opinion. If that's the worst you can come up with, may I suggest you give it a rest? Lord Smurf would make an excellent moderator for this forum.
    Hello.

Search PM

I don't know why you're on a crusade to belittle LS, but anyway ...

I read LS's response, knowing that he is a professional VHS converter/restorer by trade. Naturally he's going to compare any system to the one he has, and if it doesn't match up, he's gonna tell the poster all about it. It's like someone buying a cheap TV card, and expecting to produce DVD-Quality TV caps with it. Not gonna happen. Once you've been around here for a while, the numerous 100's upon 100's of these posts does take its toll.

There's nothing wrong with honest opinion, as he is only talking from his own experience. Grain of salt I say.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    daamon, focus and answer my question, was that guy deserving of a lecture? Was he an ignoramous?
    "No" to both, because - in my opinion (and that's the key, I'll come back to that), lordsmurf wasn't rude nor did he lecture. As I said above (this is where you need to focus):

"If anything, I'd say that lordsmurf went beyond giving a yes or no answer, and provided additional info to help the guy out. He (the original poster) certainly didn't seem put out."

If you read my last post and answered with some thought you wouldn't be trying to dodge the question by bringing up a totally irrelevant subject like my background.
    I did read your last post (which is a courtesy you should adopt, as highlighted above) and I thought about my response - that's why I addressed your comment with my point of view, and also thought to ask about your experience and / or qualifications as I felt it's pertinent - Are you in a position to question someone's professional integrity?

If you are, fine. If you're not - button it and learn!

Now, the key (as I said) is that this is all our own personal opinion - you, discman07, seem to be the only one with an opposing and negative opinion of lordsmurf (which, of course, you're entitled to), whereas the rest are either neutral or disagree with you. That's the beauty of living in a demcoracy...

So, I suggest we call it a day there and agree to disagree...

Carpe diem.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If all the moderators were banned, it would be mass hysteria.

Dogs and cats would be living together.

It would be the end of western civilization as we know it.

Search Comp PM
    Hello,

Originally Posted by bazooka
    It would be the end of western civilization as we know it.
    But there's still Eastern civilization We'll manage

Kevin
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, Grasshopper
    Hello.

26. Originally Posted by daamon
    So, I suggest we call it a day there and agree to disagree...
    I'll agree that we disagree. 8)

My lawyer will fax your lawyer a standard T146 dissaloution of un-agreement amended to the second parties heretowit (set forth this day in the presence of several witnesses)

Search Comp PM
    I voted for Wise Weasel, whoever the hell that is.

28. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 888888
    I voted for Wise Weasel, whoever the hell that is.
    Mac forum regular

29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lordsmurf gets my vote. Although I doubt he would want to babysit.

I have to be careful about what I say, I don't want to piss of the one guy that can save my ass when it comes to ATI stuff.

Smurf can come off sounding arrogant or opioniated, but as long as he is right you got to take it like it is. Tone sometimes dosen't carry well in a quick reply and it can be hard to tell if it was meant to have any overtones at all. (I think that sometimes the the insult is there but very subtle, compare the writing style of his replies to his site and you may agree) And it could be that my attitude towards something affects my perception of a bland reply. Like turning a simple "no" into a "NO!" in my head.

As for the guy above complaining about Mr. Lordsmurf sir. I saw like 10 or 11 replies by loardsmurf and don't see any evil intentions.

As long as this is becoming the roast lordsmurf thread I will take a quick jab at him. The purpose of news is to sell! Not to educate, but to make money. Entertainment makes more money than education, therefore entertainment is the style in which news is presented. And for photo journalism, editors win Pulitzers not the photographers.

Stand back this may explode!!!
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?