VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What stand alone DVD recorder that does not have the blue(chapters) screen like Panosonic, and will allow me to set the time (FR) and need firewire would you reccommend?
    Thanks,
    George Haddad
    Quote Quote  
  2. The higher end Panasonic use thumb nails pictures for chapters. All most ever one bring there video to the PC to make better menus
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'am looking for one without thumb nails pictures or chapters, menus
    George Haddad
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm unclear what you mean when saying you want "one without thumb nails pictures or chapters, menus. You don't want it to have any of those?

Whatever, the Pioneer DVR-320 allows 32 bit rate settings and has Firewire input and output. It only creates a Title menu when you finalize a Video mode disc and there are no chapter menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I absolutely love my Pioneer DVR-210s. Chapter assignment is an option. It does create menu/thumbnails in the finalization process. However, the recorded discs play without showing the menu/thumbnails. To see the menu/thumbnails, you press the MENU button. If you absolutely must get rid of these items, rip the disc to your hard drive, then re-author it with a program like TMPGEnc DVD Author. An added benefit of ripping and re-authoring (in my experience) is that the newly created disc with have higher compatibility with older DVD players. Better quality discs, like Taiyo-Yuden, also have higher compatibilty then "generic" discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to mention the most important feature. You can select the bit rate! So, your recordings will be tailor made, not off-the-shelf. ie: if you have a 2 hour 15min recording, you can set the bit rate for 2 hour 15min, and not be forced to use the "4 hour mode" like on many other machines. For best quality (720x480), use MN 19 or higher.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GeorgeH said he was needing Firewire too. My understanding is the Pioneer DVR-210 and 220 do not have a Firewire port whereas the DVR-310 and 320 do have it. Otherwise they are essentially the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVR-210s is identical to the 310s (at least in features), and comes with Firewire... It also has the option to record in the VR mode on an -RW disc, and then edit. (Haven't tried). The downside is VR discs are only playable on machines that support the VR mode, not just -RW discs. I presume Pioneer will happily sell you one. (Maybe "VR mode" should be an option when performing a search - I don't think it is, but I could be mistaken.)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Epicurus8a
    DVR-210s is identical to the 310s (at least in features), and comes with Firewire...
    I was mistaken then. I made the assumption because Pioneer makes a DVR-420H-S that's the same as a DVR-520H-S except the 420 lacks Firewire. I have the 510H-S and agree with you that the Pioneer units perform very well.
    Quote Quote