VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an sohw812s liteon DVD burner. Having scored some of those nice Jp
    Fuji 8x DVD-Rs from bestbuy, I went home to BURN! and found that I could not get successful burns at 6X or 8X only 4X. The burner's light was blinking
    orange, the buffer % indicator was fluctuating rapidly like a strobe between 47% and 99% too, but NERO accepted this media as 8X. Help? I have been using Fuji MIJ and ritek ridata 4x up until now, with very good results...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Make sure you've got DMA enabled.
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would imagine that the Fuji DVD-R MIJ that you refer to are TYG02. I don't believe that -R TY media is on the recommended list for Lite-On. I have the 411S and 832 and while I am able to successfully burn TYG02 -R at 8x my kprobe results are far from stellar. Don't get me wrong...they all play back fine on my standalone. The test results just aren't very impressive.
    No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all liteon dvd burners do not like DVD-R format at all...everybody knows that...their format is +....

in case i would buy liteon burner is just one reason..for checking dvds with kprobe

liteon are cheap...but not so much to loose dvd-r perfect writability
    so buy another burner....as you just experienced yourself

you better use dvd+r media or different burner like pioneer or plextor..
    Quote Quote  
  5. awwww...really? I never came across any info like that when I was researching that burner before buying. Darnit. I'll go look for another I guess...Pioneer? Sony? Samsung? Plextor? I remember reading that either
    Pioneer's or Samsung's writers were really the same as Sony at one point.

thanks for the help.

PS: what's DMA?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this same burner, and I've heard that it doesn't like -R media as well. However, I've burned mostly -R discs, and they all play fine in my Pioneer set top player. I have seen the discs have problems in some of my friends' players, however, and my Pioneer seems to be an amazing player when it comes to playing burned dvds. The only +R discs I've used were 25 Memorex discs I got at best buy. I'm not sure what the media code on them was, but it did seem like they played pretty solidly in everything I tried them on, so there could be some truth to this theory. But I definitely think Lite on burners can burn -R just fine given the right discs.

Right now I'm using MCC Prodiscs -R's and they seem to work very well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by daimyodrum
    awwww...really? I never came across any info like that when I was researching that burner before buying. Darnit. I'll go look for another I guess...Pioneer? Sony? Samsung? Plextor? I remember reading that either
    Pioneer's or Samsung's writers were really the same as Sony at one point.

thanks for the help.

PS: what's DMA?
    Get yourself an NEC 3500 from Newegg. It is a very logical addition to your 812S and most weeks I use both drives for one thing or another. Others may prefer the Pioneer 108. Both work well and have VERY good burns with middle to high quality media. Also make sure your 812S is updated to US0Q firmware.

DMA is a setting that controls access speed through your IDE channel. Sometimes it is not enabled. The method used to enable depends on your operating system and is a little different for XP. If you are getting fast burns it is fine.

As to your real problem. Liteons will do fine with TY -R media. If you are getting a 4X burn there is no problem with your DMA. I would guess that your firmware is not current and is falling back to a slower speed because it can't recognize your media code. Go to

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

and get the US0Q firmware for your drive and get the Omnipatcher installer from here
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/patchers.html

Use the Omnipatcher to add the improved drive strategies for the latest media codes and then flash your Liteon. READ INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY AND LOOK AT EVERYTHING THESE GUYS SAY.
    If you do it correctly it should work fine and will read the newest media and burn accordingly.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks. I'll give this a try. And I am good at reading stuff VERY CAREFULLY.
    Do you think I should flash this to the next level as well?
    What are the advantages? Here's a screengrab of a burn at 4X on the Fuji TY02. Wish I could make sense of it...

Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daimyodrum
    Thanks. I'll give this a try. And I am good at reading stuff VERY CAREFULLY.
    Do you think I should flash this to the next level as well?
    What are the advantages? Here's a screengrab of a burn at 4X on the Fuji TY02. Wish I could make sense of it...

Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks again!
    why flash it to the next level??? as already stated LITEON BURNERS prefer DVD+R than DVD-R media. in my opinion it would be better just to use the LITEON drive for KPROBE SCANS. Get a Pioneer or a Plextor drive they love TAIYO YUDEN DVD-R media.
    Quote Quote  
  10. When people have mentioned difficulties with burning DVD-R on Liteon 812S@832S, I often read people suggesting "use Sony VY06 firmware as is better suited to DVD-R".
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?p=754293#post754293

Before I bought a new burner, I'd try firmware VY06. If that doesn't help, I'd use Omnipatcher to try a few different write strategies.
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also as stated:
    As to your real problem. Liteons will do fine with TY -R media. If you are getting a 4X burn there is no problem with your DMA. I would guess that your firmware is not current and is falling back to a slower speed because it can't recognize your media code.
    Here is the same file burned at 8X on the same fuji media (next one on the spindle actually) AFTER flashing it with the omnipatcher,sohw specifics and
    tweaking for this media. Hope this will let me burn off my ritek ridata 4x DVD-R at 8x. I'll find out next...

Looks a lot better to me, 'cept the burn seems to have capped off at 7.0?
    and if this is sufficient, I would rather not go spend the extra $ for another burner...thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I would say you have solved your problem. Also the 7X you mention is the read speed during the CDSpeed test not the burn speed. Your burning software should indicate the burn speed.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote