VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to add another subtitle language to your DVD, and you don’t mind loosing the menu, here is a guide to help you do it, using only freeware tools.

What do you need (see [url=http://www.doom9.org[/url] or ):
    DVDshrink (release 3.1 or later), to compress the DVD, and create a backup on your hard disk.
    Subtitle workshop (optional), to convert subtitles to SubRip *.srt or *.sub format.
    SubtitleCreator (needs .NET or WinXP SP2) to convert *.srt or *.sub files to *.sup subtitles streams
    VobEdit, to demux DVD *.vob files to separate movie, audio and subtitle streams
    IfoEdit, to put video, audio, and subtitles back together again
    • Alternatively, in case you have NTSC movies instead of PAL, use ReJig instead of VobEdit and IfoEdit, as there have been many problems reported with IfoEdit+NTSC.
    • DVD burning software
    • At least 9Gb available on your hard disk.

The main steps are explained below:
    1) Rip the DVD to the hard disk
    2) Demultiplex DVD using VobEdit to separate audio, video and subtitle streams
    3) [Optional] Convert subtitles to *.srt or *.sub
    4) Convert and synchronise subtitles to *.sup (DVD format)
    5) Multiplex DVD using IfoEdit of ReJig to a full DVD again
    6) Test & burn

1. Copy the original DVD to your hard disk using DVD Shrink (see Figure 1).
    a) Open disc (top left)
    b) Enter re-author mode (top middle): Drag everything that you want to keep, excluding the menus, from the right DVD browser window to the left window. Here, only the main movie is preserved. But, alternatively, you can also copy the extras to your re-authored DVD, and they will be included as additional chapters at the end of your movie.
    Although DVD Shrink is very good in keeping the menus, after adding the subtitles they won’t work anymore unless you go through some very elaborate steps. The reason for this is that the corresponding IFO file, generated at the end of the process described here, doesn’t know anything about the menu structure. There are two elaborate solutions that I didn’t try myself, that you might want to look into if you are really keen on preserving everything. The first is by searching for IfoUpdate, the other is by doing everything
    manually.
    c) Select the compression tab, and deselect any audio and subtitles that you don’t need – deselect the audio because they cost a lot of space, deselect the subtitles so you don’t have to include them anymore later on.
    d) As you see, I've only selected the main movie, although you might add some additional deleted scenes...
    e) Press backup DVD (top menu) and select where you want the output to go. Although DVD shrink includes an interface with Nero, allowing it to directly write your stuff to a DVD, you would be better to deselect this option in the preferences, as we still need to add our new subtitle. Additionally, if you have to compress a lot (say to less than 80%), it is good to set the deep analysis mode (tab ‘Backup options’), leading to a better video quality.

Figure 1. DVDShrink allows you to copy only the selected features to your hard disk. In also automatically computes the optimal compression for you, so the movie will fit on a single-sided DVD.

2. Demultiplex original DVD VOB files using VobEdit or ReJig file mode (see Figure 2)
    After DVDshrink has copied everything to the hard disk, you will have a set of IFO (InFOrmation), BUP (BackUP copies of IFO), and VOB (Video OBject) files on your hard disk. The largest IFO contains the movie.
    a) Start VobEdit, and open the first *.VOB file, which has the same name as the largest IFO file (2c).
    b) Demux the VOB: as you already have selected everything in DVDshrink that you want to keep, you can demux all video (*.m2v), audio (*.ac3), and subtitles (*.sup) to a new location on your HD (4a+b).
    NOTE: Sometimes, IfoEdit will complain about “Too many frame drops”. The only remedy is to either remove some of the original subtitle streams and try again or to try with ReJig.

Figure 2. VobEdit allows you to demultiplex (unpack) the VOB files to separate mpeg2 video (*.m2v) files, audio (*.ac3) files, and subtitle (*.sup) files.

3. Convert subtitles to SubRip (*.srt) format using Subtitle workshop (see Figure 3)
    Optionally, it sometimes happens that the subtitle files you download from sites such as http://extratitles.to are not in *.srt or *.sub format. In that case, I recommend Subtitle Workshop to convert it to *.srt format. Note the input and output frame rate settings (3a). Knowing the length of my DVD (from the box), I can check the time of the last subtitle to see whether it was in NTSC or PAL (3b) – note that you need to reserve some room for the end titles (actors names etc). Finally, save it as SubRip.

Figure 3. Subtitle Workshop can convert every subtitle format to any other. It also allows you to create new subtitles, but we don't need that feature here.
    Further note that I first had some trouble to see special characters correctly (3c+d): I had to use the Central European font in this tool, but I also needed to change my general computer settings (Control panel/Regional settings/Advanced/Non-unicode language/ to Romanian).

4. Convert *.srt or *.sub subtitles to *.sup stream using SubtitleCreator (see Figure 4).
    a) Open your downloaded subtitle file (in *.srt or *.sub format). If the source subtitle file consists of multiple parts, you can concatenate them.
    b) Open the IFO file of the current DVD (normally VTS_01_0.IFO)
    c) Press start to generate your *.sup file
    Optionally, you might use:
    • The Font Settings tab, to select different colors (Figure 4a)
    • The Synchronize tab, to shift time or synchronize with an original *.sup. (Figure 4b)
    • The Preview button, to change the position of the subtitle based on the DVD format (Figure 4c)

Figure 4. SubtitleCreator's main window is simple: choose the subtitle and IFO file, and convert it to a *.sup file.

Figure 4a. SubttitleCreator can do fancier stuff though. You can choose the font, font size, and colors (from the IFO palette) to use for the subtitle (default is white letters with a black outline and grey anti-aliasing on a transparent dark grey background).

Figure 4b. Except simple synchronization, like time shifting and frame rate conversion, you can also use an original and therefore synchronized subtitle (*.sup) file, and by selecting similar lines in the original and new subtitle, you can synchronize the new one as well.

Figure 4c. And finally, you can preview the position of the subtitle, also by opening a screenshot from your movie.

(Sorry that I have so many of these, but I wrote this program myself, so I hope you don't mind it too much - BTW, it's open source, so if you don't like it, you can change it...)

Note that the following two steps can also be done using Nik’s freeware tool, ReJig, which has almost identical interfaces, and has better support for NTSC movies: instead of step 4, select ReJig’s file mode, instead of step 5, select ReJig’s DVD Author mode. However, it is slower and produces large temporary files, so I normally prefer IfoEdit and VobEdit.

5. Author new DVD using IfoEdit or ReJig DVD author mode (see Figure 5a+b)
    a) Start IfoEdit and open (a) the IFO file of movie (same file as in step 2)
    b) Select VTS_PGC_1 (b) and save cell times to file (c) under the tools menu (tells you where a chapter begins) and CLOSE IfoEdit
    c) Start IfoEdit again and select menu item DVD Author (e)/Author new DVD (this has to be the first thing that you do in IfoEdit, else this item is not available).
    d) Now have a look at Figure 5b: Select the files created by VobEdit: first the *.m2v (a), then all audio files (b), finally all subtitles (c), including the one you created in step 3.
    e) Set the corresponding languages of all subtitles (d)
    f) Load the cell times (previously saved in step 5b) for the chapters (e). If you use ReJig, you can also load the original IFO file, containing the color palette.
    g) Select where you want your output to go (f) and save the new DVD (g) – this one containing your new subtitle!
    Note: If you don’t have a lot of free space on your HD, you can now delete the original DVD files used in step 4, as long as you don’t delete the IFO file with the same name.

Figure 5a. IfoEdit (or ReJig) allows you to multiplex (package) your DVD together again. It also allows you to save the celltimes, i.e. the start times expressed as framenumber of your chapters, and to copy the color palette from the original IFO file to the new one created by IfoEdit.

Figure 5b. Select all the files to pack them together again. After IfoEdit has finished (30 minutes), you still need to copy the colors from the original to the new one, save it, and you are finally done!

h) After IfoEdit finishes, you only need to copy the subtitle colors from the original IFO to the new IFO: open the original IFO (see Figure 5a, item(a)), select VTS_PGC_1 (b), and go to the subtitle color menu (d): copy color info. Now, select the new IFO (second file in the top window), go to the same location in this file (b), and paste the color info (d). Save the IFO (e). In case you use ReJig, you don’t have to do this anymore, as you already selected the IFO in step f.

6. Test the output and write to an empty DVD
    Using a DVD player (e.g. VideoLAN, WinDVD or VLC media player) that can play from the hard disk, you can already inspect whether the DVD was authored correctly. If you are satisfied, burn the files to a DVD (in the VIDEO_TS folder and enjoy!
    [/b]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Paddington ,
    great guide ,
    I worked with this guide & its very easy & good one .
    I had one problem , i syncronized the subtitles with subtitle workshop as u show & in the beggining it was sync but latter it was out of sync to the end of the movie .
    What i did wrong .
    THX
    RAZ
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nice guide.

Well, there are a couple of problems:
    First is, that forced subtitles won't stay forced.

Second is, if you use a joined video (two parts of a video, joined with ifoedit) for demuxing the subtitles and mux them into a recoded video, the subtitles will go out of sync after the joining position. Seems they come at the times they come in the original video and not in the times of the new joined video.
    Which is very astonishing, since in the joined video the subtitles come at the right times!
    I think that's a problem of Vob/Ifoedit . . .

Do you know any other possibility to rip subitles to a remuxable file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Great guide... but surely there is SOME way to get back to original menu. I'd like to remove one subtitle language and replace with one other and keep menus.

Can it be done?
    Quote Quote  
  5. When I use Rejig OR Vobedit, I get a "internal error: not enough space, buffer under run failed" at around 50% when I'm putting the m2v, ac3, sup files together. I am making a NTSC so I used ReJig but tried Vobedit too.

But I have about 20 GB free on the harddrive. What could be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. http://jsoto.posunplugged.com/guides/VobBlanker/adding_menus/index.htm

Can this be used in conjunction to KEEP menus and replace one of the existing subs with another? (English subs to replace German for example)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the helpful tutorial. However i have a problem. Every time i use regig or ifoedit to multiplex a movie, a few seconds before it finishes an error message appears saying that the program has to close down. Is anybody else facing the same problem? How can i solve it?
    thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    the subtitles are going out of sync after a while when i'm trying to synchronise them using subtitle workshop. pls tell me where the problem lies....suggest a new software for subtitle synchronising if possible.
    Quote Quote  
  9. For me the process seemed to go well, except that I had to use ReJig to mux & author, as IfoEdit crashed (NTSC material maybe?).

What I had done was replace the subtitle track with an Edited track, re-working it in STC with a different font size, then I followed this process to obtain a Title Set, but the resulting set, while looking to be in audio sync and subtitle sync, does not play smoothly.

I don't know what might cause this herky-jerky motion, which seems to occur at scene changes; whether the subtitles are showing or not makes no difference. Comparing to the original title set, well the original plays smoothly on both PowerDVD and Media Player Classic. The VOBs from both title sets look exactly the same in Gspot--no re-encoding of any kind occurred thru the process.

Any ideas? I guess I will burn it to DVD and see if it stutters with my player, but I'm not confident it won't--looks pretty bad on my 3.2GHz P4. BTW it is not an HDD fragmentation problem either...

Hmm, I just looked at my re-muxed title set with PgcEdit, and played it in its Preview window, and it plays smoothly (!) but more interestingly the Time Stamp field shows the Time Stamps jumping from the proper play time to 00:00 and back again. This does not look right! Suspecting it's the problem, if anyone here knows the fix pls advise. I'm off to Google-land.

EDIT: OK, I don't know what about VOBedit/IFOedit/ReJig was not right, but I tried instead Demuxing with DVDDecrypter, and then Re-muxing with MuxMan, and the timestamps now look fine in PgeEdit but more importantly the jerkiness is gone. I would recommend DVDD and MuxMan over these others--they work much faster and seem to be much more robust as well. No problems of significance with SubtitleCreator!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Paddington
    you don’t mind loosing
    You mean "LOSING". Anything loose in this thread if your illiteracy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did it with a 'subtitle colours' from a different dvd because the DVD i have dint had any subtitles (hence no subtitle colours either), The subs have been turned red on the new dvd....why???
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have Problem:
    show me
    Help
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a problem.

I started out by converting a Xvid to DVD with nero.
    after that I Demultiplexed the DVD with Vobedit to audio, video.
    Then i took a srt.file and converted to .sup (sync already matching)
    after that i Multiplexed the DVD back together with Ifoedit.
    I did'nt copy the subtitle-color from the original IFO-file since it did'nt contain any subtitles.

I looked at the result in VLC-player and it looked really nice so i burned it.
    But when looking at it in the dvd-player the subs turn green!
    not at all like the ones i choose.(white with black line and grey shadow)

can someone please help me??
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    copy subtitles colors from some other movie.

or why not use avi2dvd or divxtodvd(easiest!) or thefilmmachine or diko instead? they can convert xvid to dvd with switchable subtitles...much much easier than this method.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a newbie to video, I am struggling to figure stuff out as I go. Since my latest challenge concerns subtitles, I am thinking that SubtitleCreator can help me.

I have two PAL discs from Thailand that I wanted to convert to NTSC. I managed to re-code them successfully using a combination of the IFO patch method from DJRumpy and Nero Vision Express. BUT....

STEPS
    First I copied all the files from the DVD to the hard drive.
    Then I edited the IFO files to PAL and 16:9 letterbox.
    Then I ran Nero Vision Express by adding the video files.
    I selected higher compression to fit on the disc and did not choose titles or menus, just a single playable title.
    After 3+ hours, it was burned and fully playable.

BUT

on one of those PAL discs, there were subtitles in 2 languages on the original. After burning this way, the subtitles disappeared. There were no *.sup or similar files on the original, so I figured that the subtitles were part of the VOB files (the proper term is "muxed", yes?).

So I ask for your advice:
    1. Where did the subtitles go?
    2. Will this program help me keep them? If so, which steps may be different?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi csloane@nwnexus.com

Im pretty new with editing videos and such too.
    But I think i can tell u pretty sure that the subs dissapeared because u just chose the videofile.
    u have to include the mainvideo,audio and subtitles if desired. the rest like menu, menu-audio, subs u dont need, audio u dont need (like 2 ch) and so on, u can throw away.a good oversight program is DVD shrink (above), there u can choose what u wanna include and exlude, it also burns with nero if u wanna do that.

But why do u wanna convert PAL to NTSC?
    I heard that PAL provides much better quality, or am i wrong?

Originally Posted by csloane@nwnexus.com
    There were no *.sup or similar files on the original, so I figured that the subtitles were part of the VOB files (the proper term is "muxed", yes?).
    well, look at the VOBS like arcieves kind of, when u "DEMUX" em they come out as seperate audio, video and sub-files. the format of the subtitles is then .sup
    when u "MUX" u put em back together to a VOB-file.

If im wrong anywhere please correct me
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does this work for OGMs too and other video files like avi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I use ReJig (my DVD is Japanese R2/NTSC) to demux the files into seperate video and audio files, I'm left with a .pcm audio file that ReJig won't use again when it's time to mux it all together with the subs. The muxing process seems fine but there's no audio at all. The subs are there though.

I've tried converting the LPCM audio to Wav, but ReJig just shuts down when I try to mux using the converted file.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Accck! I'm getting GREEN subtitles! This occurs even if I don't paste the subtitle characteristics from the original DVD. Sometimes, the subtitles look OK when the movie is played from the hard drive, but always wound up looking green when I burn the movie. How can I fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    h) After IfoEdit finishes, you only need to copy the subtitle colors from the original IFO to the
    [/b][/url][/quote]

While I press go for finishing the "ifoedit" in 72% of the process I receive " failled write"
    why is that ?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I try to open .srt or .sub file in Subtitle Creator I receive a message: (when doing 4th step)

. Error reading subtitle number 692 (when I try to open .srt file) and
    . Error reading subtitle number 0 (when I try to open .sub file)

I can open both files using SubtitleWorkshop but not with Subtitle Creator.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    when i finish selecting all the files to author dvd, ifoedit gives me an error "too many frame drops" and it crashes..how can i fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi-

If you're getting the framedrop error in IFOEdit, then the combined bitrate is too high. If you reencoded the video, you'll have to do it again, this time lowering the max bitrate. Maybe give some more details about the audio and video bitrates, and if you reencoded the video or not.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, well i just used rejig and problem solved...the thing is that my final vob doesnt show subtitles at all....any idea of what to do?
    Quote Quote  
  25. I've never used ReJig, but if IFOEdit gave Buffer Underruns, maybe ReJig does as well, so it may play jerky in spots where the bitrate jumps.

Just out of ReJig, all the subs should show up. If you replaced this DVD using VobBlanker, then a new sub stream might not show up.

If you either added subs to already existing subs, or added subs where there were none before (as opposed to replacing a sub), then you'll have to "turn on" the subs. PGCEdit is the easiest way to do that:

Open the final DVD in PGCEdit, double-click on the movie in the left window, turn on the first (or newest) sub by opening it and "Set". If there are already existing subs, move the slider(s) to the next higher number(s), the next number(s) not in use by the other sub stream(s). OK your way out to the main window. Find the green reel of film icon along the top row of icons and click on it. It's going to give you a message about the number of sub streams changing. "Yes", set the language if you wish, Save, and Test.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys , i used this method to add a subtitle to a video file that didnt have any subtitles at all....but after i finished, i opened the file in POWERDVD and the subtitles didnt show up, i tried what you sayd, used Pgcedit...but i didnt get any results...can you explain it better? or give me another option of what can i do?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

You can use SubtitleCreator to do the whole job.
    1°) Generate a .SUP file from your text subtitle (.SRT)
    2°) Use Tools -> DVD Authoring Wizard which automates the whole job.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi impulse_16-

but after i finished, i opened the file in POWERDVD and the subtitles didnt show up

I hope you're playing the DVD and not just a vob. You'll never get any subs just playing the vobs. Is that after the authoring stage, or after the VobBlanker Replace stage? Because the subs should show up after authoring with Muxman. If they don't, either you didn't add them, or there's something wrong with the SUP file, or something else. If you authored using something besides Muxman (maybe Rejig or IFOEdit), try again using Muxman. If you used Muxman initially, try again using IFOEdit. Make sure you get playable subs before replacing using VobBlanker.

The original guide is quite old and several of the steps have been replaced by newer and better methods. I hope you read the entire thread to learn about some of the shortcuts available now.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This has been a very useful tutorial (thanks!), but I wonder if you have any advice for someone adding subtitles to a home-made DVD? The IFO will have to be modified from scratch, right?

I tried using this tutorial as is, and it said it made the DVD correctly, but what I end up with will play on my computer, but not a regular DVD player, and although the subtitles are apparently in the disc, they're always marked as being disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hello and welcome to the forum,

If the original DVD didn't have subs, and you replaced the original subless DVD with the now subbed DVD using VobBlanker, then you have to "turn on" the subs. The easiest way to do this is with PGCEdit. Paraphrasing my response farther up:

Open the final DVD in PGCEdit. Double-click on the movie in the left window. Turn on the sub by opening the first sub stream (number 0) and "Set". OK your way out to the main window. Find the green reel of film icon along the top row of icons and click on it. It's going to give you a message about the number of sub streams changing. "Yes", set the language if you wish, Save, and Test.
    Quote Quote